Cowboys work out/sign Marvin Austin

D

Deuce

Per Archer he is working out. A solid prospect tells me this has no chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Great signing, he has more natural talent than any of our DT's aside from probably Hatcher and he fits in the scheme. If anybody is going to get anything out of him it's Marinelli, and we even have his boy Carter around to maybe talk some sense into him.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I liked him coming out of college, and I'd love to give him a chance now. Talented guy, but a headcase.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Great signing, he has more natural talent than any of our DT's aside from probably Hatcher and he fits in the scheme. If anybody is going to get anything out of him it's Marinelli, and we even have his boy Carter around to maybe talk some sense into him.
Love it. Absolutely worth a shot given his talent and what Marinelli has gotten out some less talented DL this year. Hopefully you're right and having a familiar face in Carter around can help keep him in line. If not or if he just doesn't pan out for some reason, no big deal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If you would've told me about 30 months ago that a Tampa-2 team could have both Marvin Austin and Drake Nevis as their DT's I'd have said they're probably going to be in pretty good shape. Austin is a bit of a dickhead and had injury problems and Nevis was completely miscast in a 3-4, give Marinelli some time with these guys and we might have a decent little rotation at DT.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Pass Smitty the Kleenex box

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bears have researched Marvin Austin
April, 21, 2011
4/21/11

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

We've spent plenty of time discussing the possible combination of offensive linemen the Chicago Bears could be considering with the No. 29 overall pick of next week's draft. But what about the defensive line, where the Bears could use depth across the board and need at least one new starter to replace defensive tackle Tommie Harris?

For that reason, I thought it was interesting Thursday when Bears general manager Jerry Angelo revealed the team has done extensive background work on North Carolina defensive tackle Marvin Austin, a classic "three-technique" tackle who could give the Bears a significant interior playmaker.

As you might know, Austin was dismissed from the team last season because he was a central figure an NCAA investigation into improper contact with agents. Speaking Thursday at a pre-draft news conference, Angelo said Austin has "documented concerns" but that the Bears "have delved into those."

In fact, Angelo said, the two most important figures in the life of any Bears defensive lineman -- coach Lovie Smith and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli -- visited Austin and "spent a goodly amount of time with him." So did area scout Mark Sadowski.

"We feel real good about how we feel about him and knowing him," Angelo said.

NFL teams don't typically hold NCAA violations against potential draft picks unless they learn about more significant issues in the course of background checks. Angelo seemingly doesn't have any concerns about Austin, but in this period of strategic misinformation, he might simply be trying to convince a team who is genuinely interested to initiate trade talks for the No. 29 pick.

In an Insider piece earlier this week, Kevin Weidl of Scouts Inc. notes that Austin seems to be gaining some traction as a late-first round pick -- mostly because of a "steep talent dropoff" after the top 25 or so players. Weidl cautioned against elevating a player like Austin, but it will be interesting to see if the Bears see him as a true value there or a potential trade chip as the first round closes.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thought it would be interesting to post this since it sounds like Marinelli really looked hard into Austin at the time of the draft. So if he is signing off on the move now I certainly can't complain.

Carl

RIP Brother
Our Pro Personnel Dept seems to do a good job of identifying contributors. It can't be Jerry, so who is in charge of that Department?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Love it. Absolutely worth a shot given his talent and what Marinelli has gotten out some less talented DL this year. Hopefully you're right and having a familiar face in Carter around can help keep him in line. If not or if he just doesn't pan out for some reason, no big deal.
I agree. Although he's been a bust I think the physical talent is there. Marinelli has players who are less talented than Austin playing well. If Austin comes in with a good attitude and ready to work I think he could be a solid rotational guy.

I'm not expecting dominance. Just give us solid play and I'll be happy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Nice.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys add DT Marvin Austin

October, 21, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys filled their final roster spot Monday by adding defensive tackle Marvin Austin.
Austin, 6-2, 312 pounds, was cut by the Miami Dolphins on Oct. 13 after playing in two games and making one tackle. A former second-round pick by the New York Giants in 2011, he missed his rookie year with a pectoral muscle injury and played in eight games last year with eight tackles.

The Cowboys liked Austin coming out of the draft, but because they were a 3-4 defense at the time he was not a good fit.

“He’s one of those guys we kept our eye on,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Obviously our situation on the defensive line we’ve had a lot of different injuries up there, so you look at the landscape of personnel and see you who can bring in and try to help your football team. He was playing with Miami just a couple of weeks ago. They released him. He’s in pretty decent shape because he’s been in training camp and been playing. We’d like to tap into some of that ability that caused him to be such a high draft pick.”

The spot became available on Friday when the Cowboys put defensive end Edgar Jones on short-term injured reserve. Jones had sports hernia surgery on Friday and is ineligible to play until Dec. 15 against the Green Bay Packers.

The Cowboys now have 10 defensive linemen on the 53-man roster and five have been added since Sept. 3.

The Cowboys also re-signed guard Ray Dominguez and wide receiver Jamar Newsome to the practice squad. They were released in a procedural move last Saturday when the Cowboys were down to 52 players on their roster.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Marinelli can get this guy playing and when he does the DL goes from a weakness to a strength, esp if Ware can get back out there.

Its very apparent by now that whatever Marinelli has, "it" works.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I do like the way we've been churning the bottom of the roster and actually taking look-see's at legit prospects and not just falling back on the same old former camp fodder like we so often did in recent years.

Not sure how Austin will pan out but will be interesting to see Marinelli get a chance to do his magic.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Our Pro Personnel Dept seems to do a good job of identifying contributors. It can't be Jerry, so who is in charge of that Department?
Will McClay is in charge of pro scouting I think. Of course he reports to Ciskowski.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. Although he's been a bust I think the physical talent is there. Marinelli has players who are less talented than Austin playing well. If Austin comes in with a good attitude and ready to work I think he could be a solid rotational guy.

I'm not expecting dominance. Just give us solid play and I'll be happy.
If there is one thing Marinelli can do it is motivate his players. The hustle with these guys under Marinelli is the most impressive thing. If Marinelli can't motivate Austin then he really is a lost cause of a player. If Marinelli can motivate him the sky is the limit.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Love this signing.

It may not pan out, but this guy has first round talent.

He might be a head case, but he's not out there beating up hookers or getting arrested for weapon possession or failing drug tests.

Great shot in the dark, certainly better than some of the other shitfests we've brought in like David Martin or whoever that other DT was.

Top Bottom