Archer: Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys take advantage of NaVorro Bowman's absence

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys take advantage of NaVorro Bowman's absence
1:34 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

SANTA CLARA -- Maybe Ezekiel Elliott would have had more than 100 yards if San Francisco 49ers linebacker NaVorro Bowman did not get hurt in the third quarter Sunday.

He was on his way to a good game before Bowman left with a leg injury, but it quickly turned into an outstanding game for the Dallas Cowboys’ rookie running back.

It was like a quarterback picking on a rookie cornerback new to the game.

The Cowboys picked on Bowman’s replacement, Nick Bellore, with Elliott. He carried the ball on six of the next eight plays after Bowman left, ripping off a 23-yard run on the first play and ending it with a 1-yard run for a touchdown for the Cowboys’ first lead.

Without Bowman, Elliott carried the ball 12 times for 85 yards. He finished the game with 23 carries for 138 yards.

“We were aware (of Bowman’s absence) but we were going to run our game plan against the best 11 they put out there,” Elliott said. “We can’t control who they put out there.”

Elliott joined Calvin Hill (1969), Julius Jones (2004) and DeMarco Murray (2011) as the only Cowboys rookies to have back-to-back 100-yard games. He ran 30 times for 140 yards in the Cowboys’ Week 3 win against the Chicago Bears.

He is only the fifth back in team history to have back-to-back games with more than 125 yards. Emmitt Smith did it five times, Murray four, Tony Dorsett three and Jones once.

“We are a very physical team,” Elliott said. “We wear guys down toward the end of the game.”

The Cowboys have been able to run the ball even with Tyron Smith missing the last two games and La’el Collins missing the last six quarters with Chaz Green and Ronald Leary filling in.

“If we can get them covered up up front, he’s going to make some plays,” right guard Zack Martin said.

The historical significance of back-to-back 100-yard games is not lost on Elliott, but he chose to do what every good running back does and credit his offensive line.

“It’s definitely big for me,” Elliott said. “It’s big getting another 100-yard game, but when I run behind the big guys I’ve got in front of me, I would expect any back to do that. They’re the best in the league. Even though we’ve got two backups in, they’re not playing like backups. They can start in a lot of other places.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's pretty amazing what they have done with Collins and Leary out, don't know many teams that would look like they have not missed a beat.

Cotton

Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott carries 100-yard rush load for 2nd straight week

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

It might as well have been a home game for the Dallas Cowboys at Levi’s Stadium. The blue, silver and white clad crowd celebrated their team’s victory by chanting Ezekiel Elliott’s name as he left the field.

Elliott acknowledged the chants, looking up and spreading his arms wide.

“Oh, I love it. I love the Zeke chants,” Elliott said. “That’s something I’m used to from Ohio State. Actually, in the national championship [two years ago] when we won, the last touchdown I scored we were on the goal line, and everyone knew I was going to get the ball, and the whole AT&T Stadium was chanting ‘Zeke’ so that’s something I’m used to. I love it.”

Elliott deserved the adoration after rushing for 138 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries in the Cowboys’ 24-17 victory.

“He’s got good juice, got great timing,” Cowboys tight end Jason Witten said. “ I think these last two weeks, you’re seeing his trust in timing, the patience that you’re always talking about, when do you need to put your head down and hit it, and when do you need to slow and let it open up. That’s the feel. That’s the genius in the running back.

“He’s explosive. He’s a powerful back, and then he’s tough to tackle one-on-one once he gets through that front line.”

Elliott’s performance served as an encore, following the 30 carries and 140 yards he had in last week’s victory over the Chicago Bears. It marked the fourth time in team history a rookie running back had gained more than 100 yards in consecutive games.

“It’s definitely big for me,” Elliott said. “It’s definitely big to get another 100-yard game. When I’m running behind those big guys like I have in front of me, I would expect any back to be able to do that. They’re the best in the league.”

Elliott, the fourth overall pick, had 12 carries for 85 yards after 49ers All-Pro linebacker NaVorro Bowman left the game with an injury in the second half. Elliott had runs of 23, 17 and 26 in the second half.

But Elliott doesn’t buy Bowman’s absence as the reason for his breaking loose.

“He’s a great player,” Elliott said. “He definitely is. But I think from the rip I could see we were going to have a big day. From the first run to the last run, I could tell that we were doing a good job up front. As the game goes on and you tire down that defense, that’s when the big ones are going to pop.”

After a slow start to his career — 134 yards on 46 carries — Elliott now is off and running. His 412 yards in four games leads the league.

“Just working on being consistent with my pace and my landmarks and my reads. That’s just all it was,” Elliott said. “I came from a spread offense that was a little bit different. You saw today, I came from the offense we played against today. I really wasn’t used to running from under center. I wasn’t used to running outside zone. It took me a while to get used to. It took me a while to get comfortable. I think I’m coming along great. This O-line is definitely rolling.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I heard a couple people on the radio say this too, that we ran the ball a lot better when Bowman went down. While we did run better after Bowmans injury, we were over 4 Ypc even with Bowman in there so it's not like we were struggling.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And he's only getting better...

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
He's definitely improved.

I'm still waiting for him to start breaking off the long ones and beating the single safety which he couldn't quite do yesterday.

Certainly major steps in the right direction.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I heard a couple people on the radio say this too, that we ran the ball a lot better when Bowman went down. While we did run better after Bowmans injury, we were over 4 Ypc even with Bowman in there so it's not like we were struggling.
Yea the running game was fine before he went out, it just exploded after the injury.

Bowman is their best defensive player, so no shit the offense looked better after he went down.

Cotton

Staff member
He's definitely improved.

I'm still waiting for him to start breaking off the long ones and beating the single safety which he couldn't quite do yesterday.

Certainly major steps in the right direction.
You wait until defenses don't stack the box anymore. He will have much more room at that second level to accelerate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Technically our running game took off as soon as Tyron Smith got hurt... Just saying.

Top Bottom