Will Tony Romo even be active Sunday?

data

Forbes #1
Romo's back cost this team top seed in 2014. We had that, we go to the Superbowl and probably beat the Patriots.
That [Cowboys 2014] defense was in a complete shambles by the playoffs. We couldn't field three competent LB's or two legit safeties.
I'd claim hyperbole on this one. Fighter's chance? Sure. Play our best ball and win? Sure.

"Probably?" Especially when you stated our defense was in complete shambles?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd claim hyperbole on this one. Fighter's chance? Sure. Play our best ball and win? Sure.

"Probably?" Especially when you stated our defense was in complete shambles?
Ok, you got me. It would have been hard to stop Brady from closing the gap, but I think we'd have consistently moved the ball on them and kept scoring.

I felt at the time Green Bay was better than NE, and in this fantasy we'd have beaten them in Dallas. If we could beat them, then we could more than hold our own vs the Pats.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And that's what started the dialogue because Dak only had one season in his career which wasn't and equitable comparison to a 10 year career.
Average game works for me then. Same thing as the numbers I posted.

data

Forbes #1
Lot of posts using Romo's regular season statistics, but is that relevant when the thought is "playoffs is a whole another thang vs regular season"? Who cares about what Romo does against a non-playoff team?

In Romo's six playoff games, he's averaging 19/31 (62%), 219 yards, 1.3 TDs, 0.3 INTs for 93.0 rating.

Taking the most recent 4 playoff games (the supposed matured Romo 2.0-no-gunslingin' version), it's:
20/30 (66%), 230 yards, 1.5 TDs, 0.25 INTs for 102.3 rating

data

Forbes #1
And that's what started the dialogue because Dak only had one season in his career which wasn't and equitable comparison to a 10 year career.
I don't need to have a crystal ball to say your stock portfolio must reflect your comments about track record.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Still cracks me up that we get "100%" offense with Romo in there. That is completely, and ignorantly, discounting what Prescott's presence does. He keeps defenses honest. Romo, if the run game is not clicking, drops to the fetal position if pressure is there.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Bingo.....bingo what?

You actually agree with that post? If so, tell me why.

Because while Tony Romo has been a very good QB for his career, he was never in the elite category like those guys.

He isn't even in the same stratosphere as Brady, so that's a bad comparison.

He won't sniff any of Manning's records or his 4 Super Bowl appearances, so that's another poor example.

And I don't know a person with a half a brain who would pick Romo over Rodgers at any point in their respective careers.

Did I mention that all of those guys have won Super Bowls whereas Romo has never gotten past the 2nd round?

So why on earth would Romo warrant the same collateral or recognition as any of these all-time QB's and 1st ballot HOF'ers when he is neither of those things from both a talent nor accomplishment standpoint?
:doh

Please show me one line in my post where I said Romo was better or even as good as the QBs I mentioned.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

My point is that it is unfair to hold Romo to a higher standard than any elite QB when even elite QBs have bad games.

kidd

DCC 4Life
You're completely missing the point, and ot comes across as a little dense honestly because the point is pretty obvious.

The point is NOT that Romo is comparable to Brady.

The point IS that to troll through about a dozen or so bad games of a 100 game career in which the rest of his performances range from good stellar is patently retarded and reeks of attempting to cherry pick outliers to fit a false narrative invented to justify deficient football acumen.

If you want to back that be my guest, but don't pretend that there's a quality point to be derived from it, because there isn't.

Again, if you want to say Dak's the hot hand so let's ride it, fine. If you want to say Dak's the future so let's play it out with him, fine. There are quality arguments to be made in Dak's favor. But to pretend that Romo's decade of quality quarterbacking doesn't exist simply to justify your love of dak is quite honestly pathetic. Saying, "hey remember those couple of times Romo didn't perform to his usual high standards?" is frankly pretty ignorant.

It's also pretty ignorant to ignore the fact that, no matter how good Dak becomes (and I think his ceiling is pretty high), he will also have games where you'll pretty much point to him as the main reason we lost. Same as Brady, Manning, Brees et al.

GASP! Did he just compare Dak to Brady, Brees and Manning?

No jackass, I didn't.

And THAT'S the God damn fucking point.
Thanks Gheng. That was a better explanation than mine.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Lot of posts using Romo's regular season statistics, but is that relevant when the thought is "playoffs is a whole another thang vs regular season"? Who cares about what Romo does against a non-playoff team?

In Romo's six playoff games, he's averaging 19/31 (62%), 219 yards, 1.3 TDs, 0.3 INTs for 93.0 rating.

Taking the most recent 4 playoff games (the supposed matured Romo 2.0-no-gunslingin' version), it's:
20/30 (66%), 230 yards, 1.5 TDs, 0.25 INTs for 102.3 rating
And that's pretty good. Dak has no stats in this category. I hope Dak does better under these same circumstances. But the unknown is what is a bit worrisome.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes it was. RB who put up even better numbers. Dez healthier and more explosive. Same Oline except healthier (Smith even missed games this year). It's not even a debate frankly.
I would say a better Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams this year and I don't give a shit if Murray had better numbers, Zeke is infinitely a better back.

But there you go with your "it's not even a debate" bullshit again. No, it is a debate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would say a better Cole Beasley and Terrence Williams this year and I don't give a shit if Murray had better numbers, Zeke is infinitely a better back.

But there you go with your "it's not even a debate" bullshit again. No, it is a debate.

So you think Terrance is better? By what rational? And how about an all pro Dez as opposed to can't break 800 yards Dez? You'd trade out second and third string recievers. I'm talking about arguably the best WR in the NFL that year. And oh yeah Witten is a couple years older and slower.

And Murray was the best RB in the NFL that year. So dream on about this infinitely better bullshit. You should probably claim hyperbole on that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
That was during his rehab from the prior surgery. That was repaired and fixed. The last back problem was a cracked bone that is now healed.
He was doing the same thing in 2015 before he got hurt, that was a year removed from the back surgery.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I can't get enough of you telling people that opinion is not a fact.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Bryant was at his career peak on 2014. This year, not so much.

Top Bottom