QB Controversy Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Too convoluted, if they add "don't have an "R" in their first name" we have the only 2 :towel :picard

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If Dak starts to struggle Tony is going to get well very quickly.
The two have nothing to do with each other.

Romo is hurt. He's about 8 weeks into a 12 week recovery.

When he's ready he'll play.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You're in your own world sometimes.
And in this case you're too distracted by popular opinion. If Romo was healthy, we'd know it. You can't hide something like that.

The notion that the more games we win somehow changes Romo's recovery time is bullshit.

Sure if we're losing games he would be more tempted to come back before he's ready, but the team is not keeping Romo on ice under the excuse he's not recovered just because Dak has played well enough to lead us to 5-1.

That's media-talk.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And in this case you're too distracted by popular opinion. If Romo was healthy, we'd know it. You can't hide something like that.

The notion that the more games we win somehow changes Romo's recovery time is bullshit.

Sure if we're losing games he would be more tempted to come back before he's ready, but the team is not keeping Romo on ice under the excuse he's not recovered just because Dak has played well enough to lead us to 5-1.

That's media-talk.
Who has ever called this a 12 week injury? If it was a 12 week injury Romo would have been put on IR and designated to return. So yeah, we are keeping him on ice because Dak is winning. And he will likely stay on ice if Dak continues doing what he is doing.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Who has ever called this a 12 week injury? If it was a 12 week injury Romo would have been put on IR and designated to return. So yeah, we are keeping him on ice because Dak is winning. And he will likely stay on ice if Dak continues doing what he is doing.
I think it was changed a little after the original diagnosis. I remember that they did come back and add something else when they said 8 weeks.

I do think it's been changed by Daks success however. Its been weeks that they have been telling us that Romo is tossing the football before games. Before the Green Bay game Jerry was talking about how hard he was throwing. Now he can't even practice. Just seems like a logical progression already.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it was changed a little after the original diagnosis. I remember that they did come back and add something else when they said 8 weeks.

I do think it's been changed by Daks success however. Its been weeks that they have been telling us that Romo is tossing the football before games. Before the Green Bay game Jerry was talking about how hard he was throwing. Now he can't even practice. Just seems like a logical progression already.
His bone was healed weeks ago as well. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Daks success doesn't have anything to do with Romo's coming back being pushed back every single week.

Rev

Staff member
His bone was healed weeks ago as well. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Daks success doesn't have anything to do with Romo's coming back being pushed back every single week.
Also said that he was in the weight room doing all exercises.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Peter King on Dak....

Peter King on Dak....

Up first: The Prescott story. The man’s played so well that it’s not even going to be a controversy when (unlikely to be “if” now) the Dallas brass tells Tony Romo: Take your time coming back.

The Dallas Dilemma

There was a moment in Green Bay on Sunday, late in the first quarter, that encapsulates just why the Cowboys believe they are not going to be able to take Prescott out of the lineup. Ironically, it came on the play when Prescott broke Tom Brady’s record for most pass attempts at the start of a career (162) without an interception, and Brady’s the guy whose situation most compares to Prescott’s—established quarterback gets hurt, young guy comes in and plays great, established guy can’t get his job back.

On this play, from the Green Bay 36, Prescott did three things that were uncharacteristic of the way he’d learned to play football at Mississippi State. “This is what Dak Prescott did not do in college,” Troy Aikman said on FOX, narrating the replay. “He did not take the ball from under center. He didn’t run play-action. And he didn’t drop back. But on this play, as he works up into the pocket, he’s not watching the pass rush, he’s just managing the pocket—as you should. As a quarterback, he does it outstanding.”

On the play, Prescott received the snap and took his drop, play-action-faking to Alfred Morris on his way back. Then he got flushed back, nimbly avoiding Julius Peppers, then flushed left, bracing for a hit from 322-pound tackle Letroy Guion. Skipping left, Prescott threw the ball about 21 yards in the air to his crosser, Terence Williams, who caught it just shy of the left sideline before getting hit out of bounds. Gain of 15.

“Troy’s right,” Prescott said afterward, after getting walked through the play and Aikman’s analysis. “I never took the ball from under center. I did pretty simple stuff out of the gun. Never did a seven-step drop. I just credit the work I put in, every day. The things I didn’t do in college is what [offensive coordinator] Scott Linehan has done with me every day. Just getting coached, working to be better at this level. But that play, that completion, felt good, really good. That’s a good example of what I wasn’t asked to do in college, and I’ve taken this coaching and brought it into my game.”

Prescott understands that the game he’s playing is different. But it’s not like learning Russian. It’s more like learning a dialect of English. “It’s still football,” he said. “It’s just football. Being here, it doesn’t feel that much different to me. It’s the highest level of football, obviously. And winning here today, beating the Packers at historic Lambeau Field, is fun. Really fun. But I prepare the same way I’ve always prepared. I played some big games in college, at some intense venues, throughout the SEC. I don’t let what people say be a distraction. I don’t let the place be a distraction. Today, in a place I’d always seen on TV, felt like a big college game to me.”

There was a cool story about Prescott last week by Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel, who described a Thursday night in Dallas before Week 3. Kanye West was playing in town, and Prescott had tickets. But he decided not to go. He knew he’d get home after midnight and just didn’t want to interrupt the routine he’d made for himself.

“I thought that showed the importance of taking the job seriously,” he said. “I love the game. I love to prepare. I study my butt off, and I have to, because these guys are so good.”

I’m sure a 30-16 win over the Packers at Lambeau made Dallas brass and coaching staff feel a lot better about keeping Prescott in the lineup and using Romo as the league’s best insurance policy if Prescott slumps or is hurt. Seven weeks ago, COO Stephen Jones told me it was a remote possibility that Prescott would play so well it would be hard for Romo to get his job back—similar to the Brady/Drew Bledsoe situation in Foxboro in 2001. “I can’t imagine a scenario where Tony’s not our quarterback when he’s ready,” Jones said in late August. “But things happen. You know what happened to Bledsoe and Brady. I’m sure Tony’s aware of that.”

• DREW BLEDSOE AND THE HIT THAT CHANGED EVERYTHING: The former Pats QB discusses the injury he suffered in 2001 that changed his career paths and paved the way for the Tom Brady era

It’s eerily similar, actually—except that Brady played nearly an entire season before Bledsoe was healthy enough to return. Comparing the first six starts of Brady, in relief of Bledsoe, and Prescott, relieving Romo, shows how hard it will be for Dallas to yank a healthy Prescott.

Year Comp % Yards TD INT Rating Team W-L
Brady 2001 .631 1,273 10 4 91.4 4-2
Prescott 2016 .687 1,486 7 1 103.9 5-1

Romo, who broke a bone in his back in an Aug. 25 preseason game, got a positive report from the doctor last week, and there’s a chance he could be ready to play when the Cowboys come off their bye on Oct. 30 against the Eagles. But the last great Cowboys quarterback wouldn’t be rushing to get Romo back. “I don’t think you can disrupt the momentum you have,” Aikman said on the game broadcast. “These are runs that don’t come around very often.” Dallas has won five straight.

“It’s not up to me,” said Prescott. “I just do what the coaches tell me. I want to be great, and to be great you have to just play each play, be in the moment.”

This is his moment. Whether he was the 135th pick in the draft is as irrelevant now as the fact that Brady was the 199th. When you evade Julius Peppers all day and don’t get lightheaded on the Aaron Rodgers fumes and you win at Lambeau by two touchdowns, it’s your moment. That’s why when the Eagles come to Texas in 13 days, Dak Prescott is the likely starting pitcher. Very likely.

dallen

Senior Tech

Rev

Staff member
If he only plays one game I need him to play the week that Luck goes on a bye. I don't want to be stuck with Tannehill.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We're going to win this game by 10 in a game where we lead for most of it.

Green Bay has already got Jerry backpedaling, but this win will seal it once and for all.
I hope you are right but I am not convinced. The Eagles defense will sell out to get at Prescott. The saving grace will have to be the running game.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Dez will be back and the combo of Dak's quick decision making, Elliott's running and Dez breaking a quick screen in response to blitzes will help curb the Iggles D. Dallas by 13 or better.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Tony's practicing because he's healing. There's no reason not to put him on the active roster if he practices for real.

Romo's lack of presence on the active roster has nothing to do with Dak's performance.

As for starting over Dak, we'll see. Romo should start since he's a better passer and more experienced.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
What it truly does is give them the chance to make sure Tony is 100% and has time in practice to get right. We know Tony comes back, it's just a matter of how ready they want him to be. Doesn't matter though. It won't last 2 games and Dak will be back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What it truly does is give them the chance to make sure Tony is 100% and has time in practice to get right. We know Tony comes back, it's just a matter of how ready they want him to be. Doesn't matter though. It won't last 2 games and Dak will be back.
I know it's fashionable to dump on Romo. I get it.

But Romo is going to practice full speed soon enough and when he plays they'll be able to open up the entire offense, something they have not done with Dak.

It doesn't matter what the media or twitter says.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I know it's fashionable to dump on Romo. I get it.

But Romo is going to practice full speed soon enough and when he plays they'll be able to open up the entire offense, something they have not done with Dak.

It doesn't matter what the media or twitter says.
Unless he has a horrible game, Dak isn't coming out.

Jerry is already choosing his words differently from before.

Romo can practice all he wants, but he's not being inserted into the starting lineup unless Dak struggles over multiple weeks.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Unless he has a horrible game, Dak isn't coming out.

Jerry is already choosing his words differently from before.

Romo can practice all he wants, but he's not being inserted into the starting lineup unless Dak struggles over multiple weeks.
Believe what you will, but I have 108 million reasons that ain't happening.

The offense is limited with Dak. That the team has been protecting and guiding him has been clear. You don't have to do that with Romo.

If Romo does break down or otherwise can't get it done, the worst case scenario is you see Dak again.

There is no downside to playing Romo.

Top Bottom