Sturm: Four things Cowboys should NOT do this offseason

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm: Four things Cowboys should NOT do this offseason[/h]

[h=6]Bob Sturm Follow @sportssturm Email [email]sturm1310@me.com[/EMAIL][/h]

Published: February 4, 2015 6:18 pm

Special Contributor Bob Sturm answered questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights.

Question: What’s the worst thing the Cowboys could do this off-season?

Bob Sturm: Hmmm. I think their front office is on a roll, so I don’t want to position this as a likely scenario. I would not endorse anything long-term with DeMarco. That means 3 years is my max. I would not cut Brandon Carr as I think to get a replacement for him requires more trouble than it is worth. I would not extend Morris Claiborne by activating his option. And, I would not trade up to get that “1 final piece”. There.

Question: Jon Machota has Andrew Luck higher than Tony Romo in his NFL QB rankings. Do you agree with that assessment?

Bob Sturm: I apologize, but I am not familiar with his rankings. Are they based on the big picture moving forward or simply on who is better right now? Allow me to make some assumptions during this chat and then I will read up for future reference. I will assume it is who was better in 2014. For that, I am not sure there are many who were better than Tony Romo and personally, for me, I think Luck has a bit of development before we assign superstar status to him. Although, it appears that almost nobody shares my view. I have heard some put Luck in the lofty company of Brady and Rodgers and Brees already and I don’t agree. He throws too many picks and other dangerous throws too often. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have him, but I still list him as “up and coming” rather than “arrived”. That said, if the argument was who would you sign right now if both were free agents, than I would go with Luck and I hope everyone would, too, based on the near-decade in age difference and Romo’s health considerations. I hope that makes sense.

Question: Who would you say is the Cowboys player or coach you are most accused of defending?

Bob Sturm: Without question, Tony Romo. I have spent the better part of the last 10 years defending him and arguing on his behalf. I am not sure anyone else comes close. I do defend Brandon Carr a lot these days as many people have him relegated below replacement level and I think that is silly. Those who want him cut are in stark disagreement with where I stand.

Question: Could the defense not have improved with DeMarcus Ware in tow? I still have trouble with that one.

Bob Sturm: Well, this is a highly speculative topic, but I guess that is what we do. Ware is a legend and another on the list of guys with a curious local perception based on his accomplishments. I have no idea why people seem to undervalue him after all of these years. He had 10 sacks this season and if the question is could the Cowboys have gone 12-4 with him, I absolutely believe so. Could they have beaten Detroit and Green Bay with him? Most likely. I think Ware is not what he was, but he did play 800 plays and got to double digits yet again. The Cowboys found Mincey and Lawrence to replace that RDE spot, but I wonder if the cap situation was not prohibitive, what they might have looked like with him in tow. I wished it didn’t have to happen, but there is little one can say when the team subtracts him and Hatcher and then has their best defensive year in a long time.

Question: Tony Romo has been great, but how much longer do you expect him to play at this level? And with that in mind would you restructure his contract where you have to have him be your QB for the next 3 or 4 years?

Bob Sturm: It has to be on a year-by-year basis with any QB this age. I think you can assume based on him nearly winning the NFL MVP and nearly playing in the NFC Championship Game that he is at the top of his game right now. So, can he continue down that path for a while? Can he play in a balanced offense where he is the beneficiary of almost no weak spots amongst the 11 offensive players? As far as his deal goes, I would argue that it does get complex and tricky if we are to assure the Cowboys stay out of cap peril, but in the modern NFL, as long as you aren’t too terribly reckless, you can assume that the team will be fine when that day arrives. I think the more reckless view would be not to prepare for the future with his successor. I would endorse taking a QB as early as this April if your board reveals one.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
As Romo played in 2014, I take him over Luck in a heartbeat.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
As Romo played in 2014, I take him over Luck in a heartbeat.
I always take the younger, more fit player when the "talent" is pretty equal.

I even think Luck more talented, just not as seasoned.

Cotton

Staff member
I always take the younger, more fit player when the "talent" is pretty equal.

I even think Luck more talented, just not as seasoned.
I am answering the question as who do I take this year or next. Not who do I take long-term. Obviously who you take long-term has to be Luck, but Romo was a better QB than Luck this year. And, I'm not sure it was all that close.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am answering the question as who do I take this year or next. Not who do I take long-term. Obviously who you take long-term has to be Luck, but Romo was a better QB than Luck this year. And, I'm not sure it was all that close.
Eh. Romo had his finest season doing what was structured. But say Romo was in Indy with no OL, a total lack of running game and one real offensive weapon in T.Y. Hilton.

Still think he produces like he did this year? It is all relative and it is dumb to say, well, what guy was better in X year? The Luck we saw this year is a lot like Romo back in the day when he was gun slinging.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Romo had a great year no doubt but Luck was on a team with alot of holes, everything considered I'm not sure they're that far apart.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
But say Romo was in Indy with no OL, a total lack of running game and one real offensive weapon in T.Y. Hilton.
So, pretty much what he had prior to this last year or two, eh?

Cotton

Staff member
Eh. Romo had his finest season doing what was structured. But say Romo was in Indy with no OL, a total lack of running game and one real offensive weapon in T.Y. Hilton.

Still think he produces like he did this year? It is all relative and it is dumb to say, well, what guy was better in X year? The Luck we saw this year is a lot like Romo back in the day when he was gun slinging.
Romo had a great year no doubt but Luck was on a team with alot of holes, everything considered I'm not sure they're that far apart.
Right, but I'm talking about which QB I choose for my team, and that QB would be Romo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, pretty much what he had prior to this last year or two, eh?
I think we all wanted to know what Romo would look like with a real OL and a commitment to the running game.

Well, most of us on the last part anyways.

townsend

Banned
I think Romo can last for awhile if we keep the cupboard stacked for him. Guys like Mark Brunell, Kurt Warner, Jeff Garcia and Favre (who everyone thought were dead in the water) have had amazing late in career seasons when surrounded by good talent. I think a lot if old QBs hang it up earlier than they have to because their surrounding team starts falling apart. Or they're replaced by a young talent. (See Drew Bledsoe)
In 2010 I was certain Peyton Manning was never going to be a top qb again, All he needed was to leave that crapsack team.

Carl

RIP Brother
I like Romo; always have. And Please do not compare him to Jeff Garcia, thank you. But to suggest him over Andrew Luck, even for one game is just silly. I think Romo has done a remarkable job maximizing his limitabilities (did I just make up a word) but he is in no way Andrew Luck.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I just don't see it. He is no Luck but then again for this last season he was better. Going forward its a no brainer but I just can't take Luck over Romo based on 2014 season.

townsend

Banned
I remember a Sam Bradford vs. Romo discussion like this a few years ago. No way of telling who's going to be what when their career fleshes out. Right now Luck seems like the new Phillip Rivers. All I know is every year someone is rated against Romo, and is usually found superior due to age or tangibles. Guys like Flacco, Wilson, RG3, Eli Manning, and Nick Foles. Then once that flash is out of the pan we reset and pick another guy. For one game in 2014 there are only 2 QBs I'd rather have than Romo: Rodgers and Brady.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I'd take Romo behind our line over Luck behind our line right now. Behind Indy's line I'd take Luck because Romo wouldn't be on the IR. Luck is catching up fast though and should probably be the best in the NFL soon and for a long time but you never know.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I remember a Sam Bradford vs. Romo discussion like this a few years ago. No way of telling who's going to be what when their career fleshes out. Right now Luck seems like the new Phillip Rivers. All I know is every year someone is rated against Romo, and is usually found superior due to age or tangibles. Guys like Flacco, Wilson, RG3, Eli Manning, and Nick Foles. Then once that flash is out of the pan we reset and pick another guy. For one game in 2014 there are only 2 QBs I'd rather have than Romo: Rodgers and Brady.
Luck is the new Rivers? LOL

Andrew Luck is the closest thing I have seen to John Elway.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
For one game in 2014 I agree, but I'd rather have Luck starting for my team the 2015 season than Romo.

townsend

Banned
Luck is the new Rivers? LOL

Andrew Luck is the closest thing I have seen to John Elway.
That's the comparison that makes itself. #1 overall out of Stanford drafted by the Colts. It's hard in this era to compare new QBs to historical QBs. I just don't think he deserves the crown if "future all time great" just yet.

Luck isn't a HOFer yet, but he carries his team despite mediocre talent. There are a lot of QBs over the years (including Romo) that that would describe.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
That's the comparison that makes itself. #1 overall out of Stanford drafted by the Colts. It's hard in this era to compare new QBs to historical QBs. I just don't think he deserves the crown if "future all time great" just yet.

Luck isn't a HOFer yet, but he carries his team despite mediocre talent. There are a lot of QBs over the years (including Romo) that that would describe.
He's great now. First 3 years in the NFL, playoffs, AFCC in 3rd year...pretty easy to see what his next step is.

townsend

Banned
He's great now. First 3 years in the NFL, playoffs, AFCC in 3rd year...pretty easy to see what his next step is.
I mean you could say the same for Ben Roethlisberger, who's great but not exactly Elway. Rivers has been to a pair of AFCCs and he isn't playing in a crapsack division like the AFC south.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I mean you could say the same for Ben Roethlisberger, who's great but not exactly Elway. Rivers has been to a pair of AFCCs and he isn't playing in a crapsack division like the AFC south.
Just don't see the Rivers comparison at all. In style of play he is much more like Elway and Big Ben.

Top Bottom