Sturm's Draft Profiles

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luckily Williams is a top 3 lock and I agree about Fowler, I'd be thrilled with him at 27 of course but I'd be just as happy with Dupree and I don't really get all the top 10 lock talk.
Have any Florida defensive lineman lived up to the hype in recent history?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bob Sturm’s Offseason Digest No. 5: Clarifying my position on my Cowboys running back of the future

Bob Sturm Follow @sportssturm Email sturm1310@me.com

Published: January 26, 2015 10:41 am

Here we are into Super Bowl week and live from Phoenix, Arizona.

I think this might be a good place to give you an idea on what the first week has revealed about my offseason draft preparations and so forth.

The plan, as it currently stands, is a player profile between 5-6 times a week. Those will be Monday-Friday with some Saturdays sprinkled in. Some days I might do more than 1 player, but I also don’t want to rush them. It is important to watch 3 full games or 200 snaps or so to get a full feel for the guy. Everyone has a bad day and most have a really great day. We need to figure out what they are normally.

So, I am thinking a profile every day, with 3 “S.O.D.’s” (Sturm Offseason Digests) as well, where we break down the off-season, riff about Cowboys issues, and answer your questions. Those will most likely be on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Meanwhile, the other days, it will be just the profile of another player.
I have done 6 players already, Malcom Brown of Texas is #7 below, and he starts our march through Defensive Tackles. We will try to get all the Top 100 players done before draft day, but if we start getting short on time, we will emphasize positions of Dallas Cowboys’ needs. That means that i will spend all sorts of time on the Defensive Front 7 prospects first and foremost, which explains all of my profiles so far being D-Line. Then, we will get working on the secondary and running back. I am also willing to take requests.

The Morning News is building a central location for all of the profiles which is evolving as we go as well. But, perhaps bookmark this location for your needs throughout the spring.

TODAY’S DRAFT PROFILE:
(Each issue of S.O.D., we shall tackle another draft prospect. No, I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn’t quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.)

Malcom Brown, DT, Texas – 6’2, 320 – Age 21

Now, let’s dig into some defensive tackles this week. Leonard Williams last week is going to be the best DT if you call him that, but he is almost his own category where you would say he can play wherever you want. This week, we will grab the top several DTs who can join Tyrone Crawford inside and cause all sorts of issues in the middle and up front for the opposing offenses the Cowboys want to slow down.

Brown is a real talent and a fun guy to watch. He is that perfect combination of size and quickness for a big man that often gets the “dancing bear” label slapped on because he can really move in the trenches when he wishes to do so. However, he also can stand his ground and wait for a run to come to him. To study Brown, I watched the BYU, UCLA, Oklahoma State, and Oklahoma games. But, really, I have had my eyes on big #90 all season.

What I liked: Anytime we dig into a player at this position, I am looking for his overall versatility. For instance, is he very good against the run at plugging or is he a penetrating player who is making plays behind the line of scrimmage? Is he a pass rusher or is he a roadblock? Well, if you are going to take a DT in Round 1, he better be able to do both, and I am confident that Brown is that type of guy. He appears to be the 3-technique, although Texas sure had its share of 3-4 (Oklahoma State) where he was almost the 5-technique. But, in his true spot, he is playing outside shoulder on a guard and he is more than a handful for anyone across from him. He stands, sheds, and makes the tackle on a regular basis. He 2-gaps the run, where he can wait, peek, and still swat the guard off to get to the ball carrier. But, his real value is that he is quick off the snap and through a gap with great quickness and lots of plays in the backfield. You absolutely have to love a player who is behind the line of scrimmage this much and although he can get better, the resume already is productive. He overpowers players with his bullrush and his strong swat, as well, and split a guard and tackle on a stunt against Oklahoma State that was very rare for a man of that size.

What I did not like: I wish I saw a bit more consistency from his tape in that there are weeks where he is not the unstoppable force, but to be fair, there were games where Texas’ defense was being asked to take on a very high amount of leverage because the offense wasn’t pulling its weight. Would love a bit more of a burst at times and maybe the most disconcerting thing on his tape is how many plays he could have made if he could just finish the play. You don’t want to be too tough on him because he beat his man and got to the carrier, but then because of poor technique, the RB spins out of trouble for the moment. He made 21.5 plays behind the line of scrimmage, but I bet he left 10 more out there.

Summary: I think he is a tremendous talent who seems to really love the game and play hard regardless of the score (his work against BYU was impressive in the 4th Quarter, down 34-7). It would be interesting to see if he could play along side someone like Crawford for the Cowboys, or if the team thinks they are too redundant. Is he a 1-technique, and if so, does that lose his appeal if he is always locked down on double teams? I think he is the type of guy that you better plan on taking with your pick, because guys like him don’t last too long. Rare traits, rare ability and one of the very best inside defenders in this draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Danny Shelton, DT, Washington[/h]

[h=6]Bob Sturm Follow @sportssturm Email [email]sturm1310@me.com[/EMAIL][/h]

Published: January 27, 2015 9:18 am

Comment

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn’t quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.

Danny Shelton, DT, Washington – 6’2, 343 – Age 22

Every couple years, one of those rare birds comes along that we all wonder about. They are massive, massive humans who still retain quickness and flexibility. Some, with the proper motors, can weigh nearly 350 pounds and make their share of plays – but, more importantly, they prevent countless others because opponents stop trying to test them up the middle. They are earth movers, best set in “30″ fronts, as the NT in a 3-4. The best are very established stars in the NFL, Wilfork, Ngata, and Poe. If you can find one, he is always drafted quickly because unlike WR, CB, or LB, there are not 5 others like him. In this draft, there is nobody like Danny Shelton from Washington, and that is why he is sure to go in Round 1 at the draft.

The question then, for interested teams, is whether he is one of those chosen ones listed above – along with Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, and at times, BJ Raji. Or, is he more of a Alameda Ta’Amu type, a similar man of great size 6’3, 350, from Washington, that we debated just a few short years ago. Not every large man of Polynesian descent is Haloti Ngata. And that is why we are carefully looking at Shelton to decide if he is worthy of the hype. What makes it somewhat difficult is that Shelton is joined on that Washington defense with 3 other defenders who might all be Top 50 players as well. He was on a loaded defense, to say the least. We examined the Stanford, California, and Hawaii games to get a feel for his work and of course, watched the Senior Bowl week where he was the talk of the town.

What I liked: Well, there is so much to really like about Shelton. He is very athletic for a man of his size. He also appears to play very hard and generally seems to be in the right condition, although he would “gas out” occasionally. He is an absolute strength mismatch up the middle against any guard or center he faces, and therefore demands double teams at all times or he is laying on top of your Quarterback. He also holds up run plays by 1-arming a guard or center and pushes him to the side to make the play with real strong leverage techniques. He is not going to get out-wrestled at the point of attack and that is why it was interesting to see a team like Stanford (who runs right at everyone) to pretty much shelf their interior runs against Washington. He splits through gaps and double teams with impressive agility and occasionally reaches from a pile to grab the ball carrier and not let go. He is a force to be sure. He also is ending each play in the frame, which is rare amongst men of that size. That means when the play goes away from him, he is rallying to the ball which is a prerequisite on this defense.

What I did not like: More than anything, I think we are getting a little carried away with how good he was. He had 9 sacks this season, for instance, but 6 were in the first 2 weeks against overmatched Hawaii and Eastern Washington. The rest of the year, he had a more reasonable pace, but this business that he was leading the nation in sacks halfway through the season gives the impression that he will be double-digit sack guy from the interior, and that is not reasonable. More than anything as we speak from a Dallas point of view, he just doesn’t seem to be a scheme fit. That doesn’t mean he can’t play in a 4-3, because he can and he would be very good. But, the value a 4-3 team puts on a guy like this would be well below what a 3-4 team would. That is why the 3-4 teams are willing to give him a Top 15 pick and run, give that they know the team behind him will do it if they won’t.

Summary: Excellent prospect for sure and as we said at the top, there are just not any others like him. Either you get Danny Shelton to play nose tackle or you don’t. You don’t have a Plan B at this spot, which means that it then becomes a candidate for over drafting just because of his positional rarity. Odds are low that he has a career like Ngata, but the idea that he could is too much to resist on draft day. He carries his weight well and looks like a freak of nature when he is on his game, but I don’t see how Dallas would value him nearly as highly as a 3-4 team would. For those teams, this guy might be worth a trade up.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I really don't get the whole 3-4 NT can't play the 1-tech in a 4-3, I would LOVE to have Shelton at 1 with Crawford as the 3 much more than a Bennet at 3 and Crawford at 1.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with Shelton at the 1, he just won't be there when we pick so it's whatever. And no, I can't really think of many great Florida DL in the NFL, alot of them have been busts although I think Floyd is quietly turning into a solid player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really don't get the whole 3-4 NT can't play the 1-tech in a 4-3, I would LOVE to have Shelton at 1 with Crawford as the 3 much more than a Bennet at 3 and Crawford at 1.
Remember when the Ravens featured Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa at DT in a 4-3? In a 4-3 you don't necessarily need DTs that are pass rushers. You just need guys who can push the pocket backwards. Essentially you need to have guys who can move the other teams guys backwards so the QB has no pocket to step into. I'd certainly like to see an upgrade in Dallas over Hayden at the 1 technique.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Historically it's been DT's who have truly made every dominant 4-3 defense what it was. Rarely do you find the great defense that couldn't generate pressure from the inside or stuff the run when it had to.

Bob Lilly, Randy White, Leon Lett, Tony Casillas-- these guys made every generation of Doomsday possible.

Without them both the DE's and LB's have much, much tougher times being productive and can't ever be consistent. The chain reaction then spreads to the secondary.

Dominance starts up front on the inside. Right now we don't even have "acceptable".

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s Offseason Digest No. 6: Can Cowboys get pass rusher they need at the spot they pick?[/h]

Published: January 28, 2015 9:58 am

Let’s talk defensive line for the Dallas Cowboys this morning, shall we?

It appears that most of us agree that the best way to improve the team in the offseason is to go after the defensive line and see how we can find some “blue-chip” quality to insert into the 2-deep and continue to build this thing in a home-grown fashion. That is the key, by the way. In a league with varying ways to skin cats, it seems that everyone understands that the most effective ways to build anything that lasts (sorry, Danny Snyder) is to build it from the draft and development side. This method works for a multitude of reasons, including age, salary, and just teaching players from the start of their careers what your team philosophy and expectation levels are all that should matter – rather than how things used to be when he played in Detroit or Jacksonville.

That said, the Cowboys had to get by last year (and in the recent past) with a fair amount of guys they did not draft. Last year, the looked to Henry Melton and Jeremy Mincey from afar, and the year before it was George Selvie and Nick Hayden who emerged from nowhere to be starters. This worked within the budget because all of the acquisitions were part of various red-tag sales, with Henry Melton – he of a recent ACL injury – was the most regarded of them all. The rest were either at that spot in their career where teams doubt their viability moving forward (Mincey) or guys who were just flat out of the league and forced to take the minimum just to have a job (Selvie, Hayden, and even homegrown Josh Brent).

The two points here would be the following: 1) the Cowboys did very, very well when you consider the resources they were allocating (or not allocating) to address their defensive line. When we line the streets to praise them for their offensive line investments in the 1st round, it always seems at least someone should point out that they completely ignored the defensive line for several years to do that. Choices, choices. It is like continuing to buy electronics in your home when you have no furniture. Sometimes, we need to spread out our resources, and that is clearly the logical plan moving forward. Which leads us to 2) the job the defensive line did with this cast of characters is to be complimented, but now we should focus on adding special talent to this group and maybe the fix won’t take long.

Here is the present tense depth chart according to our friends at ourlads.com

We should point out that the red indicates free agents (right now) and ALL CAPS means a player who is 30 or older. You also should notice that quietly, the Cowboys have begun their rebuild with Tyrone Crawford and DeMarcus Lawrence already in house and they were both Top 100 picks – what we consider a reasonable investment. Lawrence was actually a 2nd and a 3rd, so they believe he is exceptional, which his 2 postseason sacks seem to suggest.

The biggest issue presently with this defensive line is the ability to get sacks. With just 28 sacks, the team was ranked near the bottom of the league (28th) and 2nd worst in the NFC (Atlanta had 22). In the NFC East, the Eagles had 49 sacks, the Giants 47, and the Redskins had 36. The NFL Average team had 38, so with 28 sacks, you can see how Dallas should see this as a major issue to address. What would have 1 more sack have meant in Green Bay? We can only wonder.

I was asked what sort of pass rusher one can expect from the #27 pick in the draft by a few readers, recently. I will tell you that this is difficult data to complete because every year is different and the quality at that pick varies. Additionally, the pass rush crop varies and most years the proven rushers go early (as a group). But, for fun, here are the last few drafts in the Cowboys relative draft spot to see what sort of rushers have been available near pick #27.
PickPlayer2012 Sacks2013 Sacks2014 SacksTotal
#26Whitney Mercilus, Houston67518
#28Nick Perry, Green Bay2439
PickPlayer2013 Sacks2014 SacksTotal
#26Datone Jones, Green Bay3.51.55
#28Sylvester Williams, Denver202
PickPlayer2014 Snaps2014 Sacks
#26Marcus Smith, Philadelphia740
#29Dominique Easley, New England2701
#34DeMarcus Lawrence, Dallas2330

It certainly speaks to the idea that this is no exact science. Ted Thompson and the Packers have been searching and searching for years to find a bookend for Clay Matthews and spent 2 1st rounders on that guy in 2012 and 2013 in this spot. Then, before the 2014 season, they just signed Julius Peppers and temporarily fixed it. So, just like the offensive line picks, there is more to this than just allocating a resource. We also must nail the pick perfectly. The Cowboys have been a fantastic roll with the Bryant, Smith, Frederick, and Martin 1st round picks (sorry, Mo Claiborne). Now, they need to get the right guy at #27 if they want to start digging their way out of this sack issue.
And guess what? Get more sacks and suddenly your defensive backs look the part.

TODAY’S DRAFT PROFILE:
(Each issue of S.O.D., we shall tackle another draft prospect. No, I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn’t quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.)

As we continue to dig through the defensive tackles in this draft, we move from the 320+ division down to the sub-300 types. This group is not to be overlooked or undervalued as many of the great DTs in the league are under 300 pounds and they win with quickness and athleticism in the land of the giants.

Today, it is big Bennett from the Ohio State Buckeyes. On their way to the National Championship, #53 was in the middle causing chaos and competing at a rather high level where he had 7 sacks and 14 tackles for loss in his senior season. He was also one of the key leaders on that defense that refused to lose down the stretch against elite opponent after elite opponent. For Bennett, I watched Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon in the final month to study his work.

What I liked: He can really be that bull in a china shop and affect the pocket and the line of scrimmage consistently by his high level of compete. He is strong and sudden and seems to be ready to battle all day long for those few plays that can change a game. He does remind me in many ways of Tyrone Crawford with his versatility and his ability to deal with bigger guys with quickness and outside guys with strength. He literally was put all up and down the line and you can see in a 4-3 that he would play both tackle spots and the occasional spell at DE – although that is not his forte. He has a great push/pull move that compliments his swim technique to win right at the snap against guards who are leaning too much and he has real nice quickness inside. I think he is the type of rotational guy who could really wear out a line for 4-Quarters.
What I did not like: It wasn’t always there from Bennett. He would have spells of quiet play and even watch the play if he was unsuccessful early. He also spent way too much time on the ground in the games I watched as his quickness sometimes resulted in losing a battle of strength by losing balance and being pancaked. When that happens he gets off balance and loses leverage and then he is of no use on that play. He will also spin too much and occasionally has his back to the play as he gets stuck in his transition in the trenches. I don’t think he would be a big sack guy by straight wins, but rather the type to win from coverage or a pocket collapsing into his path.

Summary: There is a lot to like and he will add quite a bit to a team’s defensive line. The questions are whether you want to pay the price to get him as he might be part of the answer, but not THE answer. You would need to use him properly and maybe limit his snaps to keep his energy high, but you can see that he would be a real nice fit with a team like the Cowboys who wish to have a 6-8 man rotation at all times. Under those circumstances, I would really value him. He may be somewhat redundant to the type of player Crawford is, but having them side by side on a 4-3 nickel rush is exciting.

You can view plenty of his tape here at Draftbreakdown.com.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma[/h]

Published: January 29, 2015 10:06 am

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn’t quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.
See all of Bob Sturm’s profiles here.

Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma – 6’6, 335 – Age 22

The impressively built Jordan Phillips is next up on our tour through the available defensive line prospects, and he is a complicated case to examine. No stranger to those of us who follow the Big 12 closely, Phillips has been a legendary athlete to place on the radar for several years when we were told about his size/athleticism combo that gave him a chance to be a rare freak of nature that doesn’t come along often. Stories of backflips in full pads are certainly things that defensive backs can pull off, but the biggest man on the roster? No way.

Unfortunately, the ability to do backflips does not have much application in the NFL once the novelty wears off, and what will be left is how disruptive a player he will be in the opponents backfield if they have to deal with him for 65 snaps on any given Sunday over the next few years. Then, we add to the mix the health red flags of chronic back issues – those that took his 2013 season away and those that might have help convince him to turn pro before it gets worse. Production, health, and what the tape tells us makes him complicated for this exercise. We watched Tennessee, TCU, Baylor, and Texas to get a good look at big Jordan Phillips.

What I liked: Well, we start with the size. At that height and weight, he is just not a player you would see line up at nose tackle (0 tech) right over the center in most traditional spots. He moves well enough laterally and forward to cause some issues in the gaps and can certainly demand double team attention to keep him from ripping into the backfield. He spins pretty well and also feeds off stunts because the off-center opportunities are seized and he is quick to pop through and make a play against Tennessee. He is huge and that gives him an exceptional advantage against most interior players as long as he maintains his leverage. This is why often, the DTs are not that tall because they are Greco-Roman wrestling with those more stout centers and guards and sometimes being so tall is a disadvantage. Low man wins, so he needs to employ more bending to keep his strength advantage where he does pretty well most of the time. He can be a bit awkward, but still a force in close quarters.

What I did not like: He just doesn’t move a whole lot on most plays. In fact, some plays he doesn’t move at all. Against TCU, his battle with Horned Frogs center Joey Hunt was a real disappointing performance where he was single-teamed a lot and did not cause any real disruptive plays all day. As the season went along, he was on the ground a bit too much making you wonder if he was at full health as his best football was in September for sure. For me, I want to know about the production issues. Of all of the DTs we have looked at, there was production. Malcom Brown had 21.5 explosives (sacks + tackles for loss in 2014), Danny Shelton had 23.5, Michael Bennett 21. We must consider that only Shelton was a pure 0-tech, but still, those guys need to be in the backfield more. And here is Phillips with just 9. In fact, there was almost no production his entire time at Norman and while that can happen for health reasons, I just don’t think I can risk a 1st rounder who has never demonstrated production at the college level with those massive physical attributes.

Summary: You pop on the Tennessee games and you can see it. He looks like some top level DT quality and potential. Otherwise, in those other games, while surrounded with plenty of NFL talent in Geneo Grissom, Charles Tapper, Eric Striker, he was still not filling the boxscore or performing jaw-dropping feats. I can only guess that he is trying to deal with chronic back issues. That means that we have to consider that this sort of thing might follow a guy who has to trench-wrestle for a living. Generally, you don’t get healthier in the NFL as you age. The Cowboys gambled and won on Ron Leary when health scared everyone off, but that was simply an un-drafted free agent bonus check. This would likely have to be a 1st round pick. At best he is a project with untapped potential which will develop nicely. At worst, he is a player who is already a diminished version of himself and cannot handle the 6 months of stress on his back that his living will require. There will come a time where you might be on the clock and compare him to what is there, but from this spot in January, I am going to need the spring for him to prove that he is physically able at age 22 to be a productive player for me until at least his 30th birthday or I am not touching him in the 1st round.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State[/h]

Published: January 30, 2015 11:01 am

I have never been a scout or a NFL General Manager, but I am willing to watch a ton of football. By watching about 200 snaps of each prospect, we can really get a feel for a player and then know what we are talking about a bit better. It is no exact science, but the NFL hasn’t quite figured out drafting either, so we are going to do the best we can.)
Find all the profiles here.

Eddie Goldman, DT, Florida State – 6’4, 320 – Junior

With almost all of the premium defensive linemen now profiled, let’s move on to the 11th player on our list (if you wish to look at all of them, check out this link). Goldman is part of a Florida State team that tried to defend its national title in 2013 and came close before bowing out to Oregon in Pasadena on New Year’s Day. He is a strong, prototypical defensive tackle that took over full time duty with the drafting of Timmy Jernigan (Baltimore Ravens) last spring in this same process. In his high school recruiting class of 2011, he was the 2nd ranked defensive linemen in the country, behind Mario Edwards, who also has lined up next to him for the Seminoles the last several years. He played 3 years at Florida State before declaring for the draft this month and amassed 4 sacks and 8 tackles for loss in 2014. I watched the games versus Louisville, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oregon to review his work.

What I liked: With Jernigan’s review in my memory from last draft season, I can compare the two by saying they share a trait of being stout in the middle and standing his ground quite well against the run. What makes Goldman a much better prospect for me than Jernigan is the way that Goldman is able to get upfield and make things happen behind the line of scrimmage. He possesses a real push on his pass rush and can get north to collapse the pocket from the middle. He is very good with his arms and hands in that when he is able to get them on the chest of his blocker, he is able to easily control them with his strength and move them where he wishes. He is very good with leverage and with a body that is built for this position is a load to deal with all afternoon. Which leads me to maybe his most appealing attribute from a Dallas standpoint, which is his battle. I really liked his motor in these games both from a consistency level and from a standpoint of not giving up on any play. He fights and moves as a play develops and stays after it which leads him into many opportunities because he is staying active and energetic. He reminds me quite a bit of Nick Fairley.

What I did not like: Like Jordan Phillips, it is fair to ask him why we did not see more devastating statistics than we did. If the average top prospect at this position is making 20-25 explosive plays (Sacks + Tackles For Loss) in 2014, why is Goldman at 12? There is a very deep rotation at Florida State that kept his snaps down and energy up, but still, you would prefer to have more than 1 play a game that gets recorded. I would say that Goldman was on the scene a lot and drawing all sorts of opportunities for his mates, as well, but that is a question. Also, it would be nice if he was a bit more difficult to move when he gets double teamed, but now we are nitpicking. He is not moving when single-blocked very often.

Summary: He is very young and medically fit. He has high energy and is ready to compete in all situations and he has some real gifts as a 1-gap penetrator and a middle patrolman that makes him a very appealing option at DT if he were to be available at the pick. You are looking for someone with a full skill set, room to grow, and a fire in his belly to make a difference and I think I see all of that with Eddie Goldman. He is absolutely a 1st round caliber football player that would answer a lot of concerns in the middle if he were available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson[/h]

Published: February 3, 2015 7:49 am

Vic Beasley, DE/OLB, Clemson – 6’3, 235 – Senior

Continuing on through the guys up front who can bring down opposing passers, you certainly don’t have to follow college football closely to know that Beasley has been the guy who they have talked about for a few years running when it comes to sacks. He is an explosive player who makes more plays behind the line of scrimmage in the form of sacks and tackles for loss than pretty much any “Big 5″ conference player in the land. He can destroy offenses and can often make it look easy. For his review, we looked at two tough days for his team in 2014, Florida State and Georgia, as well as NC State and Oklahoma – a bowl game that was as lopsided as they could be in this holiday season.

What I liked: You are looking for pass rushers with explosion who will transform themselves on occasion to an absolutely unstoppable force. Out of his stance he explodes up field and either goes right around the edge with a blur and the type of body angle that says “edge force” or he sets that up to spin back inside. He is relentless and he cannot wait to blow up a play. He is very good with his hands and his technique and can make a tackle look really outclassed on his day. He can set the edge reasonably well against the run and even was used to drop into pass coverage on occasion. Basically, it looks like he has the willingness to do whatever you need if you wish to use him as a pass rush decoy to set up zone blitzes to the opposite side.
What I did not like: It completely starts and stops with the reality that he is 6’3, 235. Basically, he is the same size and weight as Seattle safety Kam Chancellor. It means that he would be one of the very smallest edge rushers in the NFL and you would have to know that the second he gets there, opposing teams would run right at him. He is not stout and he is not going to stand his ground when teams do run at him. He also can be overpowered if he gets to close to tackles on the pass rush were they just fall on top of him and lay there so he can’t move. Florida State’s Cam Erving used that as his best defense because nothing else was working. His balance could be better when matched up against power and from time to time you wonder if he would have a position in the 4-3 defense. In fact, some teams would not consider him for that job although I was told by a scout that he is the type of player “you find a place for” if you are high enough to take him.

Summary:I once discounted a player because he seemed undersized for the edge rusher spot in the NFL and I feared if he would ever find a home. That player now has 49 sacks in 56 career games and his name is Von Miller. I am not saying he is Von Miller, but Vic Beasley is the real deal and has proven his worth with 25 sacks and an absurd 44.5 more tackles for loss in the last 2 seasons. That is 69.5 explosive plays in 2 seasons in a major conference while playing against a number of tackles who we consider NFL prospects. He has gifts around the edge that make his case for him. Sometimes you have to ignore the scale and watch the games and for that reason, I think Vic Beasley might turn out to be the very best edge rusher in this entire draft – and that says something because there are some very good pass rushers in this class.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s Offseason Digest No 8: Should Cowboys make Morris Claiborne a safety?[/h]

Published: February 4, 2015 8:48 am

If you want to start a fight, talk about the pro football hall of fame. This is a great interest of mine (not fighting, but the hall of fame) and I love talking about it every year at this time. I certainly regret not writing more about it before the induction announcements were made, but surely you are quite aware of the new class that was announced on Saturday from Phoenix.

Obviously, it is locally a huge story to get Charles Haley into the Hall – a huge pillar of the Cowboys defense from 1992-1996 – and Dallas’ own Tim Brown who never played here beyond high school, but absolutely put up a career of numbers that required a spot in football’s hall.

The reason fights always break out when discussing the Hall of Fame is not because those inducted are not worthy. But rather, because those who are not inducted, those who are forced to wait when others go right in, and what role being part of a special team or being on television have to do with expediting one’s process over someone who just merely played football on an excellent individual basis and then retired to anonymity.

These issues all lead to frustration and it is interesting to see how the arguments are never consistent from person to person. In fact, they often go off the rails because you apply one argument for one of your sacred sons, but then ignore the same logic when it works against another local guy. Basically, everyone wants their guys rightfully honored, and nobody wants to wait. Thus, the arguments.

Charles Haley is a very interesting case. I should disclose that I have gotten to know him over the years and find him a fascinating human being and thus, the personal connection makes me want to rubber-stamp his place in Canton. Yet, that whole “brother-in-law” idea is the very essence of what is wrong with the process and has been working against Haley – a guy who certainly did not endear himself to the media – for his whole career.

He was not on the 1980s or 1990s All-Decade teams. Perhaps because his prime was half in the 1980s and half in the 1990s, or perhaps because those who covered the NFL felt he was a slight rung down from Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman, Howie Long, and even Neil Smith.

2 years ago, when the Haley discussion was really heating up, I wrote about his Hall of Fame case in the following manner:
His notable talking point is that he has 5 Super Bowl victories: 23, 24, 27, 28, and 30. That is fantastic, and he was in on at least one sack in 4 of those Super Bowls. He also has 100.5 sacks and although 100 seems like a magic number for Hall of Fame consideration, don’t be so sure.
Leslie O’Neal has 132, Simeon Rice has 122, Sean Jones 113, Greg Townsend 109, Trace Armstrong 106, and yes, even Jim Jeffcoat has 102.5. And if you knew that Jeffcoat had more career sacks than Charles Haley, then I congratulate you. Because that surprised me.

Now, guys like Howie Long (84) have fewer sacks than Haley and are in the Hall of Fame, but Greg Ellis also has 84, so we must assume that sack totals do not tell all. Which likely lead us back to 7 championship games and 5 Super Bowl rings.

The other oddity of Haley’s career was that on those 1992 and 1993 Cowboys teams that are considered amongst the greatest single-season teams of this lifetime, he only finished 3rd and 4th in sacks. In 1992, Jeffcoat had 10.5, Tony Tolbert 8.5, and Haley had 6. In 1993, Tolbert had 7.5, Jeffcoat 6, Jimmie Jones 5.5, and Haley just 4. Those numbers are hard to process. (Yes, he was double-teamed constantly making opportunities for others, but we can rest easy knowing White, Smith, and Doleman were constantly schemed against as well).

Now, having just viewed Super Bowl 27, I will attest to the fact that Haley was a monster that day and All-Pro tackle Will Wolford was beaten badly. So, when the chips were down, he performed, but there are some production numbers that are problematic.

Meanwhile, for all of Howie Long’s points earned as a personality who endeared himself to the public with smiles and television time, Haley will have a hill to overcome in that department as well. As we know, the media votes, so if you spent most of your career trying to scare the media or at least be difficult, then hopefully the media is not vindictive (lol).
I want to be clear: Haley is a hall of famer, no doubt. But to those who still are not, Harvey Martin, Drew Pearson, Cliff Harris all come quickly to mind in Dallas alone, the criteria of what gets somebody in is very unclear.

Take the great pass rusher Kevin Greene. With 160 sacks on some very good teams, Greene is the 3rd best pass rusher since the sack total has been tabulated starting in 1982. Only Bruce Smith and Reggie White have more in the modern history of the sport. And yet, I assume because he doesn’t have Super Bowl titles, he is not in with nearly 60 more sacks than Haley. But, 5 fewer rings.

So, where is the line? Is it personal accomplishments? Yes, sort of. Or is it team accomplishments? It sure seems that if you were part of a dynasty – or in Haley’s case, 2 dynasties – that we put you in quicker and with less hesitation. Look at all of the 1960s Packers and 1970s Steelers who are in. It seems the same great fortune that allowed these guys to play with other special players and therefore win titles during their career continues to give them a huge advantage after their careers, as well.

You can’t tell me Drew Pearson doesn’t belong in the Hall of Fame, especially when Lynn Swann is already there. But, Swann had a real difficult time getting in and you might be shocked to know that Dez Bryant is basically 1 catch from passing Swann’s career yardage totals. But, he won those Super Bowls against Pearson’s team and maybe that is why he is in Canton and we wonder if Drew ever will be.

The bottom line is that in football, we just have a hard time identifying how to quantify a player’s contribution that led to the wins his team enjoyed. Quarterbacks are the easiest, but how do we know a guard or a defensive tackle’s net contribution to his team’s wins? And should a team’s wins be a major requirement for a Hall that tries to recognize individual excellence?

If only players who have sturdy post-season accomplishments have a spot in Canton, I wonder how we will argue differently when it is time to honor Jason Witten or DeMarcus Ware around here. Both were amongst the best in their era. But, both, to this point, are much more Kevin Greene than Charles Haley.

Greene is currently wondering if he will ever get in.

I love this topic, but at the end of the proverbial day, everybody wants “their guys” in and don’t care who gets left behind from some other franchise. It is simply the nature of the Hall of Fame and the starter of many a fight.

TODAY’S DRAFT PROFILE:

Paul Dawson, LB, TCU – 6’2, 230 – Senior

Some positions are premium in the draft, but that means others contain very good players that simply are not valued at the same level of currency in the modern NFL. Non-pass rushing linebackers are certainly in the latter category (but, then again so are guards and centers and the Cowboys have selected one of each in the last 2 1st rounds and they seem quite pleased with the results). Dawson is another from the defensive football factory in Fort Worth where Gary Patterson employs a 4-2-5 defense and has his 2 linebackers running around destroying everything and being prepared for the NFL in the process. Dawson was the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year and grew into a spot where he became the talk of the draft as the Bowl season developed. For his profile, I looked at Oklahoma State, Texas, and Ole Miss to see what he was all about.

What I liked: Pop on one of his games and it becomes clear very quickly that he runs very well and has no problem in space against running backs in routes. To play the position he was asked to play, he has to pick through traffic and seek and destroy guys in the open field, and he does it with great explosiveness. Maybe his best attribute is how he can take on blockers and still make the stop. Pulling guards or lead full backs have a heck of a time keeping their ball carrier clean with Dawson flying around them with his athleticism and still racking up another tackle for loss. His closing speed is amazing and panic inducing to a QB who is trying to find a solution to this on the fly. He shoots gaps so well and has a real knack for blitzing off the edge when it is called for. He really plays linebacker like a safety with his fluid ability and his heat-seeking missile style.

What I did not like: Sometimes, he gets going a bit too fast and will over-run plays and miss an opportunity. I am sure he is taught to err on the side of going too fast, but you don’t want to leave plays unmade out there. He also has pretty much just 2014 of production as he was a JUCO transfer and a wide receiver out of high school. What you have to ask yourself is how much do you invest in a player like this who appears to be a perfect “Will” Linebacker candidate in Rod Marinelli’s 4-3.

Summary: This is absolutely the type of player that would fit wonderfully into the Cowboys’ plans, but there are many mitigating circumstances to consider. The biggest is that they really only have Sean Lee and Anthony Hitchens under contract in 2015, while Justin Durant, Bruce Carter, and Rolando McClain are all free. Surely, those decisions are tied together. But, also, Dawson was the type of kid that just 60 days ago seemed like a reasonable 2nd or 3rd round idea, and now he may, with a great spring, be the type of guy to work his way into the 1st round if a team wants this type of talent. He is very good, the question is whether a team like the Cowboys should allocate resources here when they really want to address the sack issue and the potential replacement for DeMarco Murray. Complicated, but Dawson is exceptional at what he does, which is to cause major chaos on a regular basis.

=====

Today’s Email/Tweet Of The Day:

Rich- First and foremost, I really appreciate your email. This is the type of conversation I love because there are many examples of corners converting to safety (especially free safety) that turn out very well. The question is should the Cowboys undertake that experiment with a guy who was compared to Deion Sanders just 32 months ago by the franchise and is still a very young and talented player.

My personal feelings are that they should try to continue down the corner road for the current time being. He is just too much of an investment to walk away from and they have a defensive coach in Rod Marinelli that has shown again and again that he can handle reclamation projects. I don’t know if Claiborne has ever seen himself as that type of guy in his whole career, but we are now at a pivotal spot for the kid. If the Cowboys decide to pick up his 2016 option or not (and I think that is nearly impossible – despite what Jerry has said), he is now at a spot where his career can go in 2 directions. 1) he can step up and show why he was a top 10 pick quickly or 2) he will be just another guy taking what is available to prove himself as he enters his career. The difference in those 2 paths is often the difference between $10m a year and $1m for a 1-year deal.
So, there is a huge financial component to all of this and time is running very short for a guy trying to rally from an ACL, too. The player is stuck between wanting to get that next deal and doing whatever the team wants. The only proper way to convert a guy is when he believes it is the best chance for him to stay in the league and I am going to guess Claiborne still isn’t feeling desperate yet. He likely still believes that he can turn this around at corner.

But, if your larger point is that the Cowboys don’t have a very good free safety right now, I will agree. I think with JJ Wilcox and Barry Church, the Cowboys are getting by with two natural box safeties. I think Wilcox is fine and developing, but we see that at times his angles and instincts lead you to believe that they could upgrade there. I have been hoping for a Calvin Pryor-type to fix this in previous years, but it certainly has never appeared the Cowboys consider safety a position worth major investment.

Could they fix 2 issues with one move? Claiborne to safety? It would be a fun experiment, but it would have high stakes and would require his complete buy-in. Which, I don’t know is to be expected at this juncture in what will certainly be a contract year.

Next Draft Profile: Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Sturm Draft Profile: Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington[/h]

Published: February 5, 2015 8:35 am

Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington – 6’2, 230 – Junior

There is something we should get out in the open here before we dive too deep into a guy like Shaq Thompson. There are two types of analysts. Those who see what a guy is and those who see what a guy could be. One doesn’t take much uncommon ability and the other is like speculating on stocks – risky and sometimes, reckless. I am certainly more of the former than the latter.

Now, Shaq Thompson, to many is one of the most intriguing characters in the 2015 draft. First off, we have been hearing about him for a while because not only is a he a 2-sport guy (drafted by the Boston Red Sox), but he is also a many position guy who won the Paul Hornung award for multi-positional players in college football. His makeup is off the charts as a guy who handles any interview quite well and seems to be a leader of men. He is exciting and more than anything, has a very uncommon knack for scoring touchdowns as a defensive player – which is a very impressive trick. To break him down we looked at Stanford, Oregon, and Illinois.

What I liked: It is tough to know where to start with Thompson, because he is one of the best examples of why scouts don’t use highlight tapes to make evaluations. When we talk about seeing 200 plays, it is because there are players who have 10 that dazzle and you don’t want to get fooled by a cherry-picked sample. That said, the best part of his game is it appears he can play all sorts of places on your defense. Now, Washington was a very loaded defense and we shouldn’t forget that, but it sure looks like Shaq was flipped the keys to it and told to do whatever he liked. Some plays he is the inside linebacker. Some plays he is an edge rusher. Some plays he is a 2-deep safety 20 yards back and moving fluidly. Sometimes he is covering, sometimes he is blitzing. And yes, 61 times this season, he was the guy who got the ball as a running back for 456 yards rushing. He literally is a “football player” first and a specific positional player, second. He is very fast – his speed might be his best attribute – and explosive and looks best when playing downhill. But, more than anything, he appears to be a ball hawk who finds the ball and makes plays.

What I did not like: Now, this might be controversial to say about Thompson who seems to be universally liked, but I am not sure what he is outstanding at when it comes to figuring out how to use him. As a linebacker, he appears to be more of a safety. He just doesn’t have the power to really deal with a run play right at him where he has to shed and make a tackle consistently enough. As a pass rusher, he is certainly out of his element. As a safety, he seems decent, and as a running back, he seems like a change of pace possibility or perhaps an emergency possibility. So, what does that mean? It means I am not sure what specific place he would just be plugged in and be instantly exceptional. He is a “swiss army knife” in that he can do many things well for you. I just wonder about the imagination necessary to make him work because as a straight linebacker, I think I like Dawson from TCU more. I think I might play him like a safety in the box and use that Kam Chancellor mode again, but that might suggest he would be best put on a team that already has most of its pieces in place and wants a versatile weapon to use in so many spots.

Summary: I see the appeal and the highlights show him running back another interception or fumble recovery for a touchdown. There is something to be said for a ball hawk who always finds the ball and knows how to get it and then what to do with it. I also love the idea that he is so versatile in what he does. But, if I am going to spend a 1st round pick, there better be one position in particular where I think he can be a pro-bowl player for me, or I should keep shopping, and since I am not great at imagining his future, based on his present tense, I would not say I see the sure-fire 1st round prospect that others see. This would require a bit of development and patience to make him the LB you are looking for. There is a lot to like here, but I would try to wait a round and that means someone else is going to take him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Sturm sure is looking at lots of LB's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sturm sure is looking at lots of LB's.
He's basically taking the DLs and LBers that might be first round guys.

I am sure he will so the same with the secondary as well, but it better be a short list considering the guys that are available.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Sturm Draft Profile: Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami[/h]

Published: February 7, 2015 8:13 am

Denzel Perryman, LB, Miami – 5’11, 242 – Senior
The middle linebacker spot at Miami – especially one wearing the #52 jersey – comes with a fair amount of prestige and there is no doubt that it is important not to credit or debit a player for simply wearing a college jersey that has meaning. Yet, here is Denzel Perryman who might be the best MLB in the draft when it comes to a bully who patrols the middle of the field and sets a physical tone and an overall attitude on the unit. For his evaluation, I watched the Louisville, Duke, Nebraska, and South Carolina games.

What I liked: Well, there is plenty to like. He is a very physical force who is a destroyer-type looking for his keys, diagnosing them, and then hitting his gap with intent. He is low to the ground when he plays so he is tough to block when he gets rolling downhill. Between the tackles, he is a bit like Rolando McClain with a physical edge you really like to see from that position. On a defense where they use the linebackers aggressively and heading north more often than not, he might be perfect. He seems a natural for the A-Gap blitzing where he gets on a guard and can push him right back into the QB. He also makes a number of tackles behind the line of scrimmage by just beating his block and getting upfield. This is where is excellent. He is a very aggressive and confident player.

What I did not like: the evolution of the sport causes some issues with a guy like Perryman. In coverage, he is decent in a short zone against a hook/curl, but when they try to put him in a man situation, he gets exposed in space. His hips seem tight going away from the line of scrimmage and towards the sidelines. There are also spells (especially on the Nebraska tape) where he gets caught up in traffic and appears too easy to block out of the path. Sometimes he just can’t break free. But, really, the big issue here is that when teams see him on the field against shifty RBs in space, offenses (Duke) go right after him on flares. This likely means that he might not be on the field on 3rd Downs and 2-minute drills. This is a value problem.

Summary: Overall, I like him plenty. He is my type of player and I think his attitude is contagious and would help set a tone on the defense which is what you want from this position. But, I also fear that he is a bit of a dinosaur in a league where corners are being made into safeties. Safeties are being made into linebackers and linebackers into defensive ends. In a league where speed is being emphasized over pop, a player who plays with pop is completely reliant on getting to a team that plans to use you properly. I think a team like Dallas that doesn’t wish to rush its linebackers much is not a great fit. If you are going to use your Linebackers as blitz options in the A-Gaps – like Philadelphia did for years with Jim Johnson – then he will flourish. But, if he is just a 1st and 2nd down option to destroy running plays, then it becomes difficult to value him in the 1st round or maybe even in the 2nd. Surely a talent and a guy I like, but it has to be the right fit and at the right price.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA[/h]

Published: February 8, 2015 9:48 am

Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA – 6’0, 230 – RS Senior

He is next in our line of linebackers who would not be classified as pass-rush threats – Paul Dawson, TCU, Shaq Thompson, Washington, and Denzel Perryman, Miami have already been profiled – is UCLA’s Eric Kendricks who is the rare red shirt senior and therefore turns 23 before the draft. He won the 2014 Butkus award for outstanding linebacker play at the college level (Perryman was a finalist as well) and also led the FBS in tackles. He is a well-decorated college star who also has some family ties. It is certainly notable that Eric Kendricks has a big brother who is a very good linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles and his father was a RB at UCLA before playing in Canada professionally. To profile Eric, I grabbed the Virginia, USC, and Texas games from this past season.

What I liked: I think this player is exceptional in many very translatable skills for the next level. He is absolutely exceptional in coverage when they ask him to take a shifty and quick running back out of the backfield on routes in a man to man situation, he can do what so many linebacker cannot – comfortably handle it. He moves smoothly and shifts his hips and can turn on speed that is clearly above average for the position. He also sniffs out plays enough to demonstrate that he is well studied and clear with what the opposition is trying to accomplish. You also have to be impressed with his ability to find his gap and shoot through with elusiveness and suddenness that generally can stop a running back in his tracks with a form tackle. I really left this study with a high regard for this player for what he was asked to do.

What I did not like: He is 230 pounds and plays so well as a linebacker in a safety’s body that we will ask the questions about standing tall against power. He looks like he can do so, but we have to at least debate whether he needs a big 4-3 line to keep him clean. We all like speed at every spot, but if you put 11 out there, you will get steamrolled. The other thing with him is occasionally gets a bit too hands-on in his coverage and will contest all passes in a part of the field where they are looking for contact for flags. He does attract the occasional penalty for over-aggressive coverage. He is not much of a pass rusher, but does show the occasional A-Gap pressure as a changeup to the scheme.

Summary: This is another player where it is going to have to be the right fit. He is a good middle in a 4-3 or 3-4, but in those 4-3 schemes that want to just rush 4 and drop 7. I think he would be absolutely ideal for the Cowboys at the right spot because there are times those linebackers are attacked in coverage. Also, this is a clear all-situations guy (unlike Perryman) where you could leave him on the field regardless of situation because he has the skill set that can comfortably handle his responsibilities. I expect he will run a solid time at the combine and might be the top player of this grouping when draft day arrives. Very impressive player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Bob Sturm’s 2015 NFL Draft profile: What I see in Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State[/h]

Published: February 9, 2015 9:19 am

Comment

Benardrick McKinney, LB, Miss. St – 6’5, 249 – RS Junior

There is one final inside linebacker (or non pass rushing LB) to add to our top group of possibilities that has to this point included Shaq Thompson, Denzel Perryman, Eric Kendricks, and Paul Dawson, which would be this highly touted Benardrick McKinney of Mississippi State. He was one of those that was projected highly before the season began, rather than a player who emerged onto the scene recently. But, as you can see by his dimensions, he is pushing the envelope of how big we would want a middle linebacker in today’s NFL. Of course, the bigger they get, we assume the less their mobility would be. To find out, we examined his work against Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn from 2014.

What I liked: First, it is rather clear that he was running the Bulldogs defense this year as he is quite demonstrative in pre-snap where he wants his troops. Any middle linebacker better know clearly what the opponent is trying to do and it would seem he is a guy who studies hard and then takes that to the field. He is a very big man and while it appears well sculpted, he is at his best when a play is between the tackles where he can charge ahead with confidence in confined spaces and lay the hit with abandon. In short yardage, he really excels, for instance. He also plays very hard and will give you ever bit of effort he has and is quite aggressive and enthusiastic in his play. At times, they line him up on the edge to pass rush and although this is seldom their play, when it is, he looks way more comfortable making me wonder if you might experiment with him as a defensive end in your training camp.

What I did not like: Unfortunately, there is quite a bit that is disconcerting. He really doesn’t move very well at that position in all of the directions that the job calls for. He is very big in both height and weight to a point where he seems to be a Defensive End being assigned to play coverage in the middle of the defense. This might be a result of Mississippi State taking advantage of the lack of sophistication in SEC offenses and passing games, but we can assure you that this won’t work well on 3rd Down on Sundays. He just doesn’t possess the type of high end athleticism that we look for at this position relative to Dawson or Kendricks who are as athletic as the RBs they will deal with.

McKinney is also not great at working through tight spaces and is easier to block because, frankly, the target is larger for the offensive linemen to hit. He also doesn’t seem to get to the plays in time when the play goes outside the tackles.

Summary: Overall, there are too many questions to value him in the Top 2 rounds (where you want a guy who you are sure can come right in and be a starter). I have no doubts that he will be a useful roster player and may even overachieve as so many linebacker have over the course of time, and play a decade. But you want way more answers than questions if you take a guy at the top of your draft and I really don’t feel comfortable tabbing him with a high investment. I believe that he does not have enough top-end athleticism for assured success on Sundays.

dallen

Senior Tech
Does this thread make anyone else's PC wheeze like an asthmatic smoker with a bad case of emphysema?

Top Bottom