2015 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Strong is an absolute monster recruiter. Texas will be a top 10 team again soon, just need Charlie's boys in there instead of Mack's

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Strong is an absolute monster recruiter. Texas will be a top 10 team again soon, just need Charlie's boys in there instead of Mack's
If you want to see what a monster recruiter in Texas looks like slide on over to aTm's commitment list. Texas had trouble getting going in this recruiting cycle even with the Texas name. You don't stumble when you should have the pick of any Texas player that you want. He is a tremendous coach though, IMO. He clearly made some in roads late on the recruiting trail though. I attribute that to really hard work and grinding it out.

edit: going back and looking I am amazed at how well Strong finished this class. Absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you want to see what a monster recruiter in Texas looks like slide on over to aTm's commitment list. Texas had trouble getting going in this recruiting cycle even with the Texas name. You don't stumble when you should have the pick of any Texas player that you want. He is a tremendous coach though, IMO. He clearly made some in roads late on the recruiting trail though. I attribute that to really hard work and grinding it out.

edit: going back and looking I am amazed at how well Strong finished this class. Absolutely brilliant.
I'm telling you man, it's an excellent class and it's amazing what a difference a few weeks makes. It's a crop that Longhorns fan has to be happy with given how the recruiting class looked like just a few weeks ago.

I'm ecstatic over the incoming crop.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Wait until this dude actually has some success with some of his recruits. Even a Cotton Bowl winning season could bring recruiting at UT back to Mack Brown's glory days. :budd

Carp

DCC 4Life
Bobby Petrino, still not a man of his word
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2015, 9:12 AM EST

In the NFL world, Bobby Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word stems mostly from his decision to abandon the Falcons during his only season as their head coach and take a job at Arkansas. In the college football world, Petrino’s reputation for not being a man of his word goes much deeper than that.

There was the time Petrino gave his mistress a job in the Arkansas athletic department, then engaged in a cover-up after questions were raised when he crashed his motorcycle with her on the back. There was the time Petrino took a job as an assistant at Auburn without even bothering to tell his boss (Tom Coughlin) that he was leaving his previous job. There was the time he went behind the backs of his bosses at Louisville in an attempt to get Auburn to fire his former boss (Tommy Tuberville) and get himself hired in Tuberville’s place. There was the time Petrino quit Louisville six months after signing a 10-year contract extension and promising he wasn’t going anywhere.

And now we have the recruitment of Matt Colburn.

Colburn is a running back at Dutch Fork High School in South Carolina. Eight months ago, Colburn committed to play for Petrino at Louisville. (Petrino is in his second stint as Louisville’s head coach; you can be forgiven if you’re having trouble keeping up with all the twists and turns in Petrino’s career path.) Colburn is considered a three-star prospect: A very good football player, although not the kind of elite talent who has scholarship offers from all the top football schools across the country. At the time that Colburn committed, Louisville seemed like a good fit for him.

But it turned out that Louisville had more good players commit to this year’s class than they were expecting. So many good players that they couldn’t fit them all under the scholarship limit. So instead of telling some of the new kids who have come along, “Sorry, but we don’t have any more scholarships to give,” this week Petrino decided that Colburn — who shut down his own recruiting eight months ago when he committed to Louisville — wouldn’t have a scholarship to enroll at Louisville in the fall after all.

That’s a lousy way to treat a kid who made a commitment to your football program, and it leaves Colburn in limbo. The other schools that had been recruiting Colburn moved on when he announced his commitment to Louisville eight months ago, and they’ve now reached their own scholarship limits and no longer have a scholarship to offer him — and unlike Petrino, those other coaches won’t kick another kid to the curb to make room. So Colburn is now scrambling to find another college to attend.

Oh, and did I mention that Petrino didn’t even have the guts to tell Colburn himself? Petrino had an assistant coach make the call to inform Colburn that he won’t be getting a scholarship to Louisville this year.

Colburn’s high school coach, Tom Knotts, is furious and says he and some other high school coaches have decided they will no longer work with Petrino when he wants to recruit their players.

“I tell my players when you commit, you commit,” Knotts told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal. “That’s what a commitment is. Matt’s been committed for eight months. It’s irritating that men can do this. He’s just a boy, a young man. He doesn’t know how to understand it. He’s very upset. Some things have opened up but that’s not the way it should be. It’s not right. Louisville is only going to hurt themselves doing this. Everybody knows not just what a good player Matt is but what a good person he is. That is not the way to do business and if that’s the way to do business we don’t want to deal with them. [Petrino] won’t be able to recruit my school anymore and I imagine there will be some other coaches that will say the same thing. Trust factor is just not there.”

At this point, anyone who puts trust in Petrino is just asking to be betrayed. Unfortunately, Petrino is still in a position where kids who don’t know better are vulnerable to his dishonesty.

D

Deuce

Horrible story for this kid. Even the L'ville media guys I follow on twitter couldn't defend this, only saying "it happens all the time". Even worse is outside of an offer from Wake Forest (which signed 22 kids yesterday so might be full), he's going to go from playing major D1 football to the lowest level. His other offers are not impressive.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

dallen

Senior Tech
F Bobby Petrino

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Horrible story for this kid. Even the L'ville media guys I follow on twitter couldn't defend this, only saying "it happens all the time". Even worse is outside of an offer from Wake Forest (which signed 22 kids yesterday so might be full), he's going to go from playing major D1 football to the lowest level. His other offers are not impressive.
It does happen all the time, and it sucks when anyone does it. The whole signing process needs to be more upfront. Send a guy an offer sheet, when he signs it and faxes it in (with a copy sent to the conference) both sides are committed.

D

Deuce

It does happen all the time, and it sucks when anyone does it. The whole signing process needs to be more upfront. Send a guy an offer sheet, when he signs it and faxes it in (with a copy sent to the conference) both sides are committed.
This is another scenario where the early signing period would benefit the player. If a team isn't going to be committed to him, they won't let him sign early. If a player is committed and he isn't afforded that opportunity, he should be smart enough to know to look at his options.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's not how the commitment process works. A verbal commitment is just that. It is not binding by either party. Nothing can be signed and faxed until signing day where things become binding.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's not how the commitment process works. A verbal commitment is just that. It is not binding by either party. Nothing can be signed and faxed until signing day where things become binding.
I think they should allow early signing, like Deuce was talking about.

D

Deuce

It's true, it's not binding til the ink is dry. But it's pretty shitty for a kid to commit 7 months prior to signing day, not even listen to other offers and then get the rug pulled out from under him last minute. He took an official visit to L'ville 2 weeks prior to signing day. At least let him know then so he has time.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It's true, it's not binding til the ink is dry. But it's pretty shitty for a kid to commit 7 months prior to signing day, not even listen to other offers and then get the rug pulled out from under him last minute. He took an official visit to L'ville 2 weeks prior to signing day. At least let him know then so he has time.
No doubt. That is a terrible thing to do to a kid. I feel really bad for him because of Petrino's lack of integrity.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Petrino is a dbag, but for many reasons other than just this. It may not be right but this does happen a lot and it goes both ways. And I can't say much because just 2 weeks ago Tennessee rescinded an offer to DL Marques Ford who had been committed for 6 months. This kid is a 4 star pass rusher and turned down opportunities to visit other schools all fall, but when LSU lost it's DC, 5 star DL Kyle Phillips switched from leaning towards LSU to committing to Tennessee and they ended up dropping Ford so they could use their last 2 openings at other positions.

A kid de-committing is bad enough because you'd think they would know what it means to commit even though it isn't binding. But I don't get how a school with grown coaches can make an offer, have it accepted and then later say 'oops, we have too many higher rated guys at your position now and well, sorry.' Even if it's a 2 or 3 star player, you offered and they accepted. But Tennessee just showed the door to a 4 star DE.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't know why people get all super excited about NSD and especially the 4-5 star kids. Most of these kids are crap after a few years. Quite a few end up in jail etc. and never realize their potential.

It is nice to have a strong recruiting class, but at the end of the day, it is about the same as an NFL draft getting all A's.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sure, but if the kid is good enough, he will be okay and will likely get a scholarship somewhere.

Petrino is a douche and a half, but I think it is being overplayed that he just ruined this kid's life.

If he were smart, he would have done his research on Petrino and realized he's a guy you wouldn't want to play for anyways.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I don't know why people get all super excited about NSD and especially the 4-5 star kids. Most of these kids are crap after a few years. Quite a few end up in jail etc. and never realize their potential.

It is nice to have a strong recruiting class, but at the end of the day, it is about the same as an NFL draft getting all A's.
I'll remember that with the upcoming draft that you will be watching intently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom