Fox Sports: If Jason Garrett coaches like he did Sunday, the Cowboys will have a playoff disaster

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At that point in the game our defense was really giving Winston fits. Garrett fully understood the ebb and flow of the game...at that point our defense was playing great, so play smart offensively and let your D close it out. I have a hard time understanding how that could be perceived as poor situational awareness...it was flawless situational awareness. I know that because his game management at that point worked perfectly.
After the Witten dumbass fumble we put our defense in a really tough situation. They impressed the hell out of me coming out there right away and getting another stop. There are weeks where the defense is soft as shit but the end of that Tampa game was not one of them. Which was a nice surprise after they were shredded on the first two possessions of the second half. Would have been really easy to tuck tail at that point on defense.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
At that point in the game our defense was really giving Winston fits. Garrett fully understood the ebb and flow of the game...at that point our defense was playing great, so play smart offensively and let your D close it out. I have a hard time understanding how that could be perceived as poor situational awareness...it was flawless situational awareness. I know that because his game management at that point worked perfectly.
Yep.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The 4th and 1 call was totally fine.

It was the bullshit reverses they kept trying and the lack of any deep shots whatsoever that blew my mind.

When you don't stretch the defense it forces more plays to go the same distance. That's more chances to be penalized. The OL is great, but they aren't superheroes.

JMech

Brand New Member
I understand wanting to go for it there, but it certainly wasn't stupid to kick the field goal.
No it was not stupid. Despite everyone rallying in support of having our defense "close it out", I am still very concerned about that unit. Let's face it, I feel that we have been using smoke and mirrors with that defensive unit. They are capable of giving up massive yards against the pass. Their QB was easily capable of marching that group down the field in 3 throws and put up the TD.

Having some new faces show up even periodically from our defensive line to put on pressure is helping my mental state regarding the defense. They still have me extremely nervous. Good QBs can chew up that unit. They have pleasantly surprised me at times suggesting the coordinator is working magic or is in league with the devil.

I want more than 7 points late in the game because a TD can be thrown up on us in a heart beat. From that perspective the play was giving up on our elite offensive line and running back. Get the first down and kill more time.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No it was not stupid. Despite everyone rallying in support of having our defense "close it out", I am still very concerned about that unit. Let's face it, I feel that we have been using smoke and mirrors with that defensive unit. They are capable of giving up massive yards against the pass. Their QB was easily capable of marching that group down the field in 3 throws and put up the TD.

Having some new faces show up even periodically from our defensive line to put on pressure is helping my mental state regarding the defense. They still have me extremely nervous. Good QBs can chew up that unit. They have pleasantly surprised me at times suggesting the coordinator is working magic or is in league with the devil.

I want more than 7 points late in the game because a TD can be thrown up on us in a heart beat. From that perspective the play was giving up on our elite offensive line and running back. Get the first down and kill more time.
My feeling is, making it a touchdown game rather than a field goal game was a big deal. Yes you leave yourself vulnerable if you do give up a touchdown, but if you don't make the 4th down conversion you've left yourself vulnerable to a field goal as well as a touchdown.

It's a trade off so I think either decision would have been okay there. Garrett chose the conservative route and I think part of that is how well the defense had been playing and part of that is the opposing QB. I doubt Garrett makes the same decision if we're facing Brady/Brees/Rodgers.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

You make it sound easy to put up 7 on our defense and yet we are rated fourth in the NFL in scoring defense. Sometimes I wonder if fans don't realize how hard it is in the NFL to just totally shut down an offense the entire game. I'm in favor of going for it because of our O-line and RB but I don't think Dallas is somehow extra susceptible to giving up TD's compared to the rest of the league.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You make it sound easy to put up 7 on our defense and yet we are rated fourth in the NFL in scoring defense. Sometimes I wonder if fans don't realize how hard it is in the NFL to just totally shut down an offense the entire game. I'm in favor of going for it because of our O-line and RB but I don't think Dallas is somehow extra susceptible to giving up TD's compared to the rest of the league.
We occasionally are able to kick it up a notch when we sell out rushing the passer. I think it all comes down to how much gas we have left in the tank, and with the TOP the offense chewed up Sunday we should have had a lot left.

TOP also limits the opponent's ability to score, especially when we play a bend-don't-break style where we allow underneath plays and miss few tackles. The combination has been very effective.

As long as we score on offense, that is.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The 4th and 1 call was totally fine.

It was the bullshit reverses they kept trying and the lack of any deep shots whatsoever that blew my mind.

When you don't stretch the defense it forces more plays to go the same distance. That's more chances to be penalized. The OL is great, but they aren't superheroes.
Let me tell you why this is stupid.

One of the key points that would be brought up with a passing game that does not stretch the field is that it would effect the run game...8 in the box, etc. The run game is not limited in any way, 2nd in the league with over 150 a game.

Additionally, more offensive plays would mean more turnovers...right? No, we have only given up 13 turnovers.

I think we all agreed coming into the season that our defense was our weak point. A good way to combat that is to control the clock, that way the defense does not spend as much time on the field. Coincidentally, we are 4th in the league in pts allowed with 18.4. Tied with Denver...a defense that is considered good to great.

Even without stretching the field we are 4th in the league in scoring with 26.1.

I understand the want to throw the ball deep, but the reality is we don't need to do it. The above points clearly show that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Even without stretching the field we are 4th in the league in scoring with 26.1.

I understand the want to throw the ball deep, but the reality is we don't need to do it. The above points clearly show that.
This is fine in September through November.

Now the turnovers are increasing and have occurred not randomly but always when our team is challenged. Increased challenge is going to be the norm from now moving forward, so we have to step up our game.

We can control teams whose fronts we clearly outmatch like Baltimore, but the moment we face the Giants or a motivated Pittsburgh or even the Eagles suddenly everything changes. Then the penalties, strip sacks, and now interceptions start adding up.

It's very black or white with us, when we face average teams we have no turnovers and fewer penalties. Against NY, forget it, in those two games we might have had a third of our total holding penalties. Ours aren't mental mistakes but brought on by duress and challenge.

There will be many times in the next few games where we will need our QB and WRs to step up, and it's going to be hard for them to pull big plays out of their asses without at least trying it in real games.

This should be obvious. We're not beating New England with a thousand dinks and dunks. Brady will drop three touchdowns in a quarter on us.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned

Now the turnovers are increasing and have occurred not randomly but always when our team is challenged. Increased challenge is going to be the norm from now moving forward, so we have to step up our game.

We can control teams whose fronts we clearly outmatch like Baltimore, but the moment we face the Giants or a motivated Pittsburgh or even the Eagles suddenly everything changes. Then the penalties, strip sacks, and now interceptions start adding up.

It's very black or white with us, when we face average teams we have no turnovers and fewer penalties. Against NY, forget it, in those two games we might have had a third of our total holding penalties. Ours aren't mental mistakes but brought on by duress and challenge.

There will be many times in the next few games where we will need our QB and WRs to step up, and it's going to be hard for them to pull big plays out of their asses without at least trying it in real games.

This should be obvious. We're not beating New England with a thousand dinks and dunks. Brady will drop three touchdowns in a quarter on us.
:lol

Carp

DCC 4Life

So we pretty much should just change our whole offensive philosophy once we play a game in the playoffs.

The turnovers are not increasing either Chicken Little. Obviously the 2 ints Dak threw against the Giants sucked, but the only turnover last week was a fumble by Witten, his 2nd in 5 years. Based on that, I think you will diagnose Witten with a rare fumbling disease, that will only increase as you get gayer.

Brady will drop 3 TDs on us in a quarter? Coming off his stellar 16-32 game for 188 yards and no TDs...yeah, they are rolling.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brady will drop 3 TDs on us in a quarter? Coming off his stellar 16-32 game for 188 yards and no TDs...yeah, they are rolling.
Without Gronk that Pats offense is pretty pedestrian honestly. They don't have anything special at receiver or TE when he is out. And Blount is good but frankly his 4.0 ypc doesn't scare anyone. He is basically a short yardage hammer.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So we pretty much should just change our whole offensive philosophy once we play a game in the playoffs.
Like this twisting of words isn't hugely gay?

You sprinkle the plays in and build confidence. We rarely even try. One deep shot in Pittsburgh against single coverage and another vs Minnesota. You have to throw to Dez. Butler and Williams aren't getting looks. 32 completions and they had 4 combined, but 10 to Witten for 51 yards?

The turnovers are not increasing either Chicken Little. Obviously the 2 ints Dak threw against the Giants sucked, but the only turnover last week was a fumble by Witten, his 2nd in 5 years.
Uhh, the Cowboys have had six turnovers the last three games-- Vikings (2 fumbles) and Giants (2 picks, 1 fumble) on top of Witten's fumble vs the Bucs. Project that out over a season and it's 30+ turnovers, so yeah, the turnovers have increased.

We can't afford to turn the ball the way we play. Hell the way we play, a penalty is almost like a turnover. I've been saying that since week 1.

We've been fortunate the defense has stepped up and gotten turnovers of their own.

Top Bottom