The Great Police Work Thread

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
BTW, I reread the thread going back to the Michael Brown GJ stuff and I can't find anywhere when we mentioned the Feds decided they wouldn't do anything against Officer Wilson either. I pleasantly surprised and I wonder where the Hands up don't shoot crown will go to now for continued support to bolster their nonsense?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
BTW, I reread the thread going back to the Michael Brown GJ stuff and I can't find anywhere when we mentioned the Feds decided they wouldn't do anything against Officer Wilson either. I pleasantly surprised and I wonder where the Hands up don't shoot crown will go to now for continued support to bolster their nonsense?
It was obvious that the feds wouldn't. The feds need a lot more evidence to prosecute than the state. If they could have proven Brown was running away they could have prosecuted him under Tennessee vs. Garner. Since that wasn't the case and there was no evidence of a hate crime, since you would have to prove intent, then there were no other grounds to prosecute.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I wasn't looking for this kind of stuff, but someone on facebook pasted it. Not sure when it happened but this is why traffic stops are the most dangerous regular part of the job. This guy may have been suicidal, but he didn't want to go out alone. Some of comments under this vid on youtube are disgusting.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I wasn't looking for this kind of stuff, but someone on facebook pasted it. Not sure when it happened but this is why traffic stops are the most dangerous regular part of the job. This guy may have been suicidal, but he didn't want to go out alone. Some of comments under this vid on youtube are disgusting.

Lots of countries don't really do routine traffic stops and rely on camera enforcement instead, that might lower the risk but then you still have DUI enforcement and those are probably your most dangerous stops anyway.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fatal police shooting of man ‘throwing rocks’ caught on tape

By Associated Press

February 12, 2015 | 12:13pm

.Warning: Video contains graphic content

PASCO, Wash. — A homeless man who was shot and killed by officers at a busy intersection had thrown multiple rocks, hitting two officers, and had refused to put down other stones, authorities said Wednesday.

Officers used a stun gun on the man, but it had no effect, Pasco Police Chief Bob Metzger said at a news conference. Because of his “threatening” behavior, officers fired their guns, he said.

Metzger said he did not know whether a weapon was found.

The man killed was 35-year-old Antonio Zambrano-Montes, whose last address was a Pasco homeless shelter, said Franklin County Coroner Dan Blasdel.

Witnesses say the man was running away when he was shot. They told the Tri-City Herald the man had run about half a block when he was killed about 5 p.m. Tuesday near the Fiesta Foods store.

The shooting occurred after officers responded to a report of a man throwing rocks at cars at a busy intersection near a grocery store.

Dario Infante, 21, of Pasco, recorded video from a vehicle about 50 feet away as the scene unfolded. In an email interview, he said he decided to start recording when he saw an officer trying to use a stun gun on the man. Infante said he saw the man throw a few rocks at police officers but he didn’t see him hit any officers. Five “pops” are audible shortly after the video begins, and the man can be seen running away, across a street and down a sidewalk, pursued by three officers.

As the officers draw closer to the running man, he stops, turns around and faces them. Multiple “pops” are heard and the man falls to the ground.

“He didn’t throw any rocks after he started running,” Infante said.

Several dozen people gathered at Pasco City Hall on Wednesday afternoon to raise concerns about the shooting.

The ACLU of Washington also issued a statement, calling the incident “very disturbing.”

“Fleeing from police and not following an officer’s command should not be sufficient for a person to get shot,” said the group’s executive director, Kathleen Taylor. Deadly force should be used only as a last resort, she said.

Witness Ben Patrick told the newspaper police fired at the man when his back was turned.

“I really thought they were just going to walk up and tackle or tase him,” he said. “But they opened fire. His back was turned.”

Patrick’s wife, Shannon, also said the man was running away. The shooting happened in front of her young children.

“He turned around to take off running and the cops just shot him,” she said. “All he was trying to do was walk away.”

Other witnesses heard officers give the man orders to stop and drop the rock. They said the man refused to listen.

Metzger has identified the three officers involved in the shooting. They were placed on leave for the investigation, a standard practice.

The Tri-City Special Investigation Unit, which will not include Pasco police, will investigate. Investigators are looking at cellphone video of the scene that has been posted online.

Carlos Sanchez, who witnessed the shooting from the grocery store parking lot, also said it looked like the man was running away from officers when he was killed.

“They started shooting and they kept on shooting him,” he said.

Tuesday’s case was the fourth fatal shooting involving a Tri-City police officer in Pasco in the last six months. Officers have been cleared of any wrongdoing in all three of the previous cases.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This looks on the surface like a terrible decision by the cops, but the quotes in that article are outright lies. He was not walking or running away, he was facing the cops when the fatal shots were delivered.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This looks on the surface like a terrible decision by the cops, but the quotes in that article are outright lies. He was not walking or running away, he was facing the cops when the fatal shots were delivered.
There is no "on the surface" for the cops. They used excessive force for some nutjob that was hurling rocks.

And as the for witnesses, well, eyewitness testimony in any sort of trial is about as specious as it gets, much less when a microphone is pushed in their face.

Your common everyday average dumbshit is going to embellish and place an emotional reaction onto what they saw.

There was clear video evidence, regardless of what way the guy was facing, that they took him down with bullets when it was not necessary.

This was pretty much on video.

Overall, nobody will care down the road.

He wasn't wearing a hoodie. He wasn't the right demographic to raise an agenda with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That was horrific to watch. I don't think just saying the officers made a terrible decision gives justice to what they did.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That was horrific to watch. I don't think just saying the officers made a terrible decision gives justice to what they did.
Hey, it was a lapse in judgment in the heat of the moment.

And stuff.

Look, I get how officers have to feel. It has to suck.

But these were rocks. Rocks.

You know the shit you would throw as a kid?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Yeah, based on the video that looks bad. Unless they saw something is his hands we didn't see.

Cotton

Staff member
There is no "on the surface" for the cops. They used excessive force for some nutjob that was hurling rocks.

And as the for witnesses, well, eyewitness testimony in any sort of trial is about as specious as it gets, much less when a microphone is pushed in their face.

Your common everyday average dumbshit is going to embellish and place an emotional reaction onto what they saw.

There was clear video evidence, regardless of what way the guy was facing, that they took him down with bullets when it was not necessary.

This was pretty much on video.

Overall, nobody will care down the road.

He wasn't wearing a hoodie. He wasn't the right demographic to raise an agenda with.
Like I said, it looks like a terrible decision by the cops. But, the statements from the witnesses in this case furthers a point regarding the witnesses supposedly having it right in the Michael Brown case.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, it was sickening to see. No way to defend what they did there.

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, based on the video that looks bad. Unless they saw something is his hands we didn't see.
He was homeless, not much chance of a gun being in his hand.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Like I said, it looks like a terrible decision by the cops. But, the statements from the witnesses in this case furthers a point regarding the witnesses supposedly having it right in the Michael Brown case.
Eyewitness testimony is horrific. Just amazingly bad if you knew.

Part of my undergraduate minor was in the area. You would be amazed at how unreliable it is statistically.

At least in today's age, we have video. It can't lie. And it gives a real perspective over some idiot who recalls something way after the fact and allows the brain to do what it does...which is fill in the gaps with crap.

A mentor of mine I worked with back then once told me, "People lie. And when they do not, they are usually just mistaken and don't realize it."

Cotton

Staff member
Thank you. Doesnt excuse any wrong doing but it does put the big picture in focus.
Yep. It's nice to see it broken down to eschew the retarded idea that cops are doing stupid shit left and right.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yep. It's nice to see it broken down to eschew the retarded idea that cops are doing stupid shit left and right.
The total number of incidents is too high. It's clear they need better training (with less of a shoot first and ask questions later attitude) and the administration of police departments need to be held accountable when the police officers under them go off the reservation.

Cotton

Staff member
The total number of incidents is too high. It's clear they need better training (with less of a shoot first and ask questions later attitude) and the administration of police departments need to be held accountable when the police officers under them go off the reservation.
.0039%

Top Bottom