Hill: Stephen Jones - Cowboys have learned lesson

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones: Cowboys have learned lesson, no longer plan to invest in players over age 30

Much has been made of the Cowboys’ decision to let defensive end DeMarcus Ware and defensive tackle Jason Hatcher go this off season. But it fits into the team’s new overall philosophical change born out of their financial mistakes of the past, vice-president Stephen Jones said.

One of those changes is to no longer invest in players over the age of 30, save for a few exceptions.

Ware was released because the Cowboys didn’t want to pay him $12.5 million in 2014. He will be 32 next year and coming off a career-low six sacks because of injuries.

Ware signed a three-year, $30 million contract with the Broncos. Hatcher made no attempt to re-sign Hatcher as a free agent. He got a four-year, $27.5 million deal from the Washington Redskins. He will be 32 next year well.

“If we don't learn from what has bitten us then shame on us,” Jones said. “Unfortunately we have been paying guys who over 30 years old a lot of money up front and it hasn't worked for us. I'm not saying that Hatcher won’t work out. I’m not saying that Ware won’t work out. It hasn't worked out for us. So we have to do something different. I hope it all works out for them. But if you look around and look at the numbers…unfortunately it’s a young mans game and there is a lot more risk when you’re signing guys past the 30 mark.”

The biggest problem the Cowboys have had was injuries that rocked the defense the past two years. Jones said the team has taken a harder look at injuries and injury history and will evaluate that in terms of contract decisions going forward.

“There are no excuses,” Jones said. “But you have to evaluate why that has happened to you. You have to take a look at why we have had injuries the past two years in significant numbers especially on the defensive side and say ‘where is it happening, why is it happening and what can we do differently’.’”

“I’m not saying we will never do (pay guys over 30 again),” Jones continued. “There are always exceptions. But when you are coming off of what we have come off of, obviously we have been bit. We will continue to assess. We will assess other teams. We will obviously asses how Jay Ratliff does in Chicago, how Hatcher does and how Ware does. We are happy for them. We ran into both of them. I’m thrilled they were able to make the money they made.”

Clarence Hill

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He says this and we just signed 30 year old Jeremy Mincey to a two year deal. :dunce

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He says this and we just signed 30 year old Jeremy Mincey to a two year deal. :dunce
Listen, he said there would be exceptions. Can't hold him to that.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Stephen is taking this shit over, y'all. He is now the voice and the puppet king.

data

Forbes #1
Stephen Jones also said you can put that in 4-inch headlines.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Too bad teh Jer wasn't as stupid in the oil business as he is the football business. He would have never been able to buy the team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
“There are no excuses,” Jones said. “But you have to evaluate why that has happened to you. You have to take a look at why we have had injuries the past two years in significant numbers especially on the defensive side and say ‘where is it happening, why is it happening and what can we do differently’.’”
I appreciate that he is at least taking responsibility for it. Rob Ryan loved to blame the injuries like it was some freak occurrence. Injuries aren't something that are totally unpredictable. When you add injury prone players and have aging guys with extensive injury histories, odds are those guys are going to get hurt. You can't just bury you're head in the sand and pretend like those things can't be accounted for. It doesn't matter how talented your roster is if none of the players are on the field.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I appreciate that he is at least taking responsibility for it. Rob Ryan loved to blame the injuries like it was some freak occurrence. Injuries aren't something that are totally unpredictable. When you add injury prone players and have aging guys with extensive injury histories, odds are those guys are going to get hurt. You can't just bury you're head in the sand and pretend like those things can't be accounted for. It doesn't matter how talented your roster is if none of the players are on the field.
Right on.

And this is what bothered me when not only Ryan, but Jerry and Stephen too would point to injuries.

None of our injuries were unforeseen....like you said, most of the guys who got hurt either had an injury history or were coming in recovering from recent injuries. But yet, when those guys all predictably went down at one time or another, these idiots all acted like they were blindsided.

No example is more blatant of all of this team's organizational shortcomings than that of Jay Ratliff - he was all of their idiocy wrapped into one:

Unnecessary financial commitment (had 2 years left on contract)

Paying Age

Paying a declining player

Hoping/depending on player to play despite all evidence that he wouldn't be able to

This team has made all of these mistakes with various players, but they somehow managed to commit them all with Ratliff.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Too bad teh Jer wasn't as stupid in the oil business as he is the football business. He would have never been able to buy the team.
...and we'd have 3 less Superbowls. Take the good with the bad...

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Basically we're not going to sign anyone who was older than 5 years old when Jerry bought the team.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
...and we'd have 3 less Superbowls. Take the good with the bad...
Perhaps, but maybe someone without the massive I NEED THE CREDIT ego would have bought the team instead.

Those championships were so long ago now that they are embarrassing to bring up anymore.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's not what you'd call "investing" in a player over 30. We could cut Mincey next year and forget he was ever on the team. Would have preferred Wootton though.

Top Bottom