Archer: Orlando Scandrick frustrated because he's not healthy

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Orlando Scandrick frustrated because he's not healthy

2:31 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Orlando Scandrick is in a tough place. He wants to play, but his body is not allowing him to play to the level he expects.

The Dallas Cowboys cornerback is working through a hamstring strain he aggravated in the season opener and was not in the base defense in Sunday’s win against the Washington Redskins. The Cowboys opted to go with Morris Claiborne in the base defense with Scandrick working in their sub packages.

Scandrick played in 49 of 67 defensive snaps. Claiborne played in every snap.

“I’m doing whatever I’m asked,” Scandrick said. “I’m doing everything they ask me to. I literally live at the place. I live in the weight room, but I haven’t played football in a year. You tweak a hamstring or something from whether it just be fatigue or dehydration, it’s very frustrating. I’m not playing good football right now. I’m playing like [expletive], so I don’t know what to say.”

Scandrick did not play last season because of torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his knee. He was limited in his work in the offseason program and played just 11 snaps in the preseason. Scandrick said it is difficult to keep his legs loose when he is in and out of the lineup.

Rest is the best way to heal his hamstring, but the Cowboys need Scandrick. They have only four cornerbacks with rookie Anthony Brown behind Scandrick, Claiborne and Brandon Carr. The Cowboys want to resist moving safety Byron Jones to cornerback even in a limited role.

“We won; I’m happy about that,” Scandrick said, “but it’s got to come to a point where I got to get healthy. I ain’t healthy. It’s disappointing to myself when you go out there and you’re not the player you really are because you’re not healthy.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Orlando Scandrick frustrated because he's not healthy

2:31 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Orlando Scandrick is in a tough place. He wants to play, but his body is not allowing him to play to the level he expects.

The Dallas Cowboys cornerback is working through a hamstring strain he aggravated in the season opener and was not in the base defense in Sunday’s win against the Washington Redskins. The Cowboys opted to go with Morris Claiborne in the base defense with Scandrick working in their sub packages.

Scandrick played in 49 of 67 defensive snaps. Claiborne played in every snap.

“I’m doing whatever I’m asked,” Scandrick said. “I’m doing everything they ask me to. I literally live at the place. I live in the weight room, but I haven’t played football in a year. You tweak a hamstring or something from whether it just be fatigue or dehydration, it’s very frustrating. I’m not playing good football right now. I’m playing like [expletive], so I don’t know what to say.”

Scandrick did not play last season because of torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his knee. He was limited in his work in the offseason program and played just 11 snaps in the preseason. Scandrick said it is difficult to keep his legs loose when he is in and out of the lineup.

Rest is the best way to heal his hamstring, but the Cowboys need Scandrick. They have only four cornerbacks with rookie Anthony Brown behind Scandrick, Claiborne and Brandon Carr. The Cowboys want to resist moving safety Byron Jones to cornerback even in a limited role.

“We won; I’m happy about that,” Scandrick said, “but it’s got to come to a point where I got to get healthy. I ain’t healthy. It’s disappointing to myself when you go out there and you’re not the player you really are because you’re not healthy.”
Frankly Claiborne has been our best corner. If Scandrick's healthy we should probably be talking about him playing over Carr instead of Claiborne. Not that it really matters, we run a nickle defense the majority of the time. I may consider resting Scandrick though and using Brown. I don't like seeing a gimpy Scandrick getting beat out there.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Claiborne's been looking very solid, along with Jones.

Our problem has always been the front seven. The linebackers mostly played like crap yesterday until that late stop by Lee.

No one on the DL can rush the passer. Their only hope is to rotate guys.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Claiborne's been looking very solid, along with Jones.

Our problem has always been the front seven. The linebackers mostly played like crap yesterday until that late stop by Lee.

No one on the DL can rush the passer. Their only hope is to rotate guys.
The reason that they are looking good is because they have to try and cover Beasley in practice.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I was ridiculed when I pointed out that Claiborne had a solid season last year. He wasn't great, just solid. Which was a huge improvement from previous years.

Looks like he's building on that 2015 season and slowly turning the corner.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was ridiculed when I pointed out that Claiborne had a solid season last year. He wasn't great, just solid. Which was a huge improvement from previous years.

Yeah the funny part about last year was that Claiborne was actually coming back from an injury that can take 2 years to really fully recover from. I had thought that there was a good possibility he would be even better this year then last. Lets just hope his health holds out this year. He has always struggled with injuries.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He's pretty good so far this year. That doesn't change how he played last year.

This year he looks like he's more willing to compete, and it's making a difference.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's pretty good so far this year. That doesn't change how he played last year.

This year he looks like he's more willing to compete, and it's making a difference.
Yup.

He's not being a little bitch about not being the starter.

He's been put in a position where he has no choice but to fight for playing time, but to his credit, he's playing pretty well so far.

Top Bottom