Watkins: Who's next to get a new contract?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Who's next to get a new contract?

January, 23, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

After the Cowboys locked up kicker Dan Bailey to a seven-year deal on Thursday, we look at a few players who might be next.

1. Dez Bryant: The Cowboys haven't opened contract talks with the star wide receiver, yet after his 93-catch, 1,233-yard season where he caught a team-leading 13 touchdown passes, he will command a huge salary. The only negatives regarding Bryant were off-field issues, which were dormant last year. Bryant is an emotional leader for the Cowboys and someone who will be extended at some point.

2. Tyron Smith. Like Bryant, Smith earned his first Pro Bowl berth this season. Smith emerged as a dominant force along the offensive line and once you have a solid left tackle, you better lock him up. The Cowboys did that with Flozell Adams a years ago and it's expected they will do that with Smith. When he was drafted in the first round in 2011, he said he wanted to make Pro Bowls, and he's starting to do that.

3. DeMarco Murray. It's difficult to pay running backs, considering their health issues, and Murray hasn't played a full 16-game season in his career. Murray did produce his first Pro Bowl selection and he emerged as the first Dallas running back since 2006 to rush over 1,000 yards. Murray needs to prove he's durable to warrant another contract, and 2014 needs to be a year where he doesn't miss any games.

4. Bruce Carter. The weakside linebacker was looking for a new contract from the Cowboys, but after a 2013 season where he was benched for poor play that appears doubtful. Carter can change the perception that he's not worth the second-round pick the Cowboys used on him in 2011 by producing a better season. The Cowboys might draft a linebacker to create competition at the position to see if Carter responds to the challenge.

5. Morris Claiborne. He's in a similar situation with Carter. He's struggled in his two seasons due to health and inconsistent play. The Cowboys want Claiborne to succeed at corner, but he lost his job to Orlando Scandrick and was moved to the nickel defense. Claiborne might have to play out his rookie deal to prove he needs another one. If he struggles again in 2014, he might not get a new contract.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Our 6th overall pick might not get a new contract.

What a fucking embarassment.

Never, never, never fucking ever take a CB that high.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just don't trade up to do it unless the player is as close to a sure thing as you can ask for. Any high pick that busts is not worth it, regardless of the position. Patrick Peterson and Joe Haden are fantastic players, and would have been worth taking with any pick.

As it stands the jury is still out on Claiborne. I thought he had a solid rookie season and a sophomore slump. The scrutiny on him is more intense because Dallas traded Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner to get him.

junk

Not So New Member
Why would you even consider a new deal for Claiborne? He's got two years left.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Why would you even consider a new deal for Claiborne? He's got two years left.
Nope. He has proven zip. It's put up or shut up time for him. Make him earn it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Joneses are like Oprah...

and da wimmen in the audience are our players...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Should we be concerned that you know so much about Oprah?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The Joneses are like Oprah...

and da wimmen in the audience are our players...

:lol

"Tell meh...tell meh who wants that new shiny contract!!! How much? This is relative to a SB here.. relative to you having an off season..we know you had some problems, but hell this is entertainment!! Hell..I don't care! Sign it with pride... your gonna be a Dallus Cowboy till you are 42... Jason, get me my favorite pen...hold on, let me get in the picture. Stephen? Stephen..wheres my glasses? Did you total the cap savings? No? Fuck it. Sign here. We got us a helluva player locked up for years."

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Our 6th overall pick might not get a new contract.

What a fucking embarassment.

It is pretty embarrassing.

I mean, the guy isn't some kind of athletic freak. 4.5 forty, 34.5 vertical, good, but not great shuttles.

He was drafted this high based on some retarded evaluation that he could play the ball in the air like no other CB in history or something.

Then teh Jer has to triple the embarrassment by claiming this fag was their highest rated CB since Deion Fucking Sanders.

It makes you think teh Jer put him at the top of the draft board after watching him have a really great game against Arkansas or something.

dallen

Senior Tech
Next to get a long term contract: Josh Brent

Cotton

Staff member
Next to get a long term contract: Josh Brent
Sad, but I could see them signing him once he gets out if he's not under suspension by the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sad, but I could see them signing him once he gets out if he's not under suspension by the NFL.
That would be an absolutely disgusting move made for a very very average player.

I can overlook Charles Fricking Manson if he is actually a good player.

Cotton

Staff member
That would be an absolutely disgusting move made for a very very average player.

I can overlook Charles Fricking Manson if he is actually a good player.
Jerry Brown's momma would want it this way, Booze. Have you no heart?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Brown's momma would want it this way, Booze. Have you no heart?
I don't give a shit what she wants if I am Jerry Jones.

I am running a football team, not Boys Town.

Cotton

Staff member
I don't give a shit what she wants if I am Jerry Jones.

I am running a football team, not Boys Town.
But, you are not Jerry Jones, and you did not build that castle for us to be entertained in, now did you?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But, you are not Jerry Jones, and you did not build that castle for us to be entertained in, now did you?
If I am Jerry Jones, I don't build that grotesque cathedral. I don't have a tiny shriveled up dick like he does, I guess.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would have built a nice stadium, and I like the incorporation of other historical elements. The "hole in the roof" and the bars across the top like at Texas Stadium, etc.

But you can be damn sure that creating a home field advantage would have been a priority.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I am tired of hearing this question every year, as if we have sOme great team and it's a big deal to keep all our players.

There's not one player I'm all that worried about resigning. We have to get better. The guys we've got, got us to mediocrity.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I mean, the guy isn't some kind of athletic freak. 4.5 forty, 34.5 vertical, good, but not great shuttles.

He was drafted this high based on some retarded evaluation that he could play the ball in the air like no other CB in history or something.

Then teh Jer has to triple the embarrassment by claiming this fag was their highest rated CB since Deion Fucking Sanders.
I honestly think Jones felt the need to make a bigger splash than Washington. Notice how Jones specifically mentioned that Claiborne was ranked 2nd on their entire board. That was his way of spinning Dallas got a better player than Washington, who took RG3 2nd.

In retrospect both players have been projects. Claiborne has gotten himself injured trying to adjust to the speed of the game, and Griffin is overwhelmed in a million different ways.

All told, I still have high hopes for Claiborne and would love to see him get some help at safety and in the front seven.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I am tired of hearing this question every year, as if we have sOme great team and it's a big deal to keep all our players.

There's not one player I'm all that worried about resigning. We have to get better. The guys we've got, got us to mediocrity.
Tyron and Dez are about it for me. Problem is we don't have time to come away with only one player a year.

Top Bottom