QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
. But assuming GB is a loss, then to win 2 of 3 would mean winning the next 2 which would give us a 4 game win streak. That's possible but probably not likely.
I'm not conceding Green Bay is a loss any more then I'm assuming that the 49ers are a win. The way Dak is playing will allow us to win any game. But I also understand that eventually he is going to make a mistake or have a bad game. The Packers are the toughest opponent over the next 3 games so I pick them. But it's also possible we beat the Packers. Their offense has been pretty up and down.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll give everyone another reason to not start Romo and that is to keep him healthy for a potential trade in the offseason. Romo has a 14 mil base salary next year. If we trade him after this season that is all the new team would be required to pick up for 2017. I have to imagine that some NFL team would be interested in Romo at that price. Which means we could actually trade Romo for a decent draft pick. While at the same time freeing up about 5 mil in cap space for our own team. (Not to mention a whole lot more cap space in 2018 and 2019).

Not sure what kind of a pick we would get at Romo's age but it would make a ton of sense. It would essentially be a cap saving move for Dallas and would give another QB needy NFL team a legit probowl potential QB.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wasn't able to Prop this post, so I've quoted it for truth and clarity. :towel

We saw Romo in his prime and while there were good times, he fell short when the pressure was on.

It would be a different story if Dak didn't look so fucking composed running this team right now.
If the Props button doesn't show up, just refresh, and BAM it'll come back.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Romo provides the experience bonus but I worry about his declining skill set. Three serious back injuries as well as a couple of shoulder injuries. That has to affect his play going forward. I imagine we can expect to see less zip on passes, struggles with deeper passes, and an inability to extend plays like he used to.

I’m in favor of remaining with Dak because I like the mobility and decision making that he brings to the table. Not only is he excelling from the pocket like you expect from a franchise QB, but he also gives us that added dimension where we can move him outside of the pocket and he’s a legit threat to beat you with his legs or his arms.

Also, in just about every long scoring drive that the Cowboys have had this season, you can point to at least 1 play in that drive where Dak used his mobility to either run for the first down or to buy time so the receivers can uncover down the field. We’re going to miss that when he goes back to the bench. Just wait and see. We probably won’t have near as many long drives and our 3rd down conversation rate will probably take a nice dip because Romo can’t ad lib like he used to.
This

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Do you think Romo has declining skills? The only negative I see in Romo is durability. Some of that can be from age and some can be the way he plays but make no mistake Romo can still play and is at the peak of his skills.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't be surprised if the team invents some setbacks with Romo's injury sort of like they did with Leary's groin. Althougg having Romo as a backup to Dak this year would be pretty awesome.

Is there any reason why Dak wouldn't be our starter next year? If so why bench him this year unless you think Romo will win you the superbowl this year.
Yes, if Romo comes back and plays at 2014 levels he is our starter for the foreseeable future. I am not sure why everyone assumes he's washed up.

Dak is here for 4 years at least, 5 if we want to franchise him. He's not going anywhere.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yes, if Romo comes back and plays at 2014 levels he is our starter for the foreseeable future. I am not sure why everyone assumes he's washed up.

Dak is here for 4 years at least, 5 if we want to franchise him. He's not going anywhere.

Exactly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm assuming he will get hurt again. There is a ton of evidence to support that. And not seeing a guy for a season and half when he is 36-37 years old will make you start to question if he has that same ability any longer. We aren't talking about a 28 year old QB here. We are talking about a guy in his mid to late thirties who has had multiple serious injuries in a very short period of time.

And I'm not sure why you would roll with a 38 yard old QB for 30 mil against the cap when you could get similar production out of a QB costing $750,000.00 and use the rest of that cap money to actually put into the defense. It's why I'm saying in all liklihood this should be our last season with Romo. Unless of course we win the superbowl.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Dak will get a 100mill+ contract from Teh JJ before year 4... Book it!

p1_

DCC 4Life

What if Romo doesn;t play to the 2014 level? That is the question. Even if he can stay healthy, there's no reason to assume he's at that level any longer. His play vs. Carolina (his last reg season performance) was horrid:

Playing his second game in five days following the eight-week layoff, Romo had his share of struggles before the injury. His second pass of the game got picked off by safety Kurt Coleman and returned 36 yards for a touchdown – the first of two pick-six plays by Carolina.

In all, Romo completed only 11 of 21 passes for 106 yards, and his three interceptions led to 17 of the Panthers’ 23 points in the first half.

Clearly, rust was still a factor.

Tony will be rusty as hell. And another injury removed from multiple games.

I say this assuming Dak's meteoric rise continues, and we have lucked ourselves beyond measure. Thus far, it's been
pretty incredible. We will see how that goes, as more difficult opponents will give a better measure of the current ceiling on a rookie phenom. Zeke Elliott and this line are tremendous assets.

Let Dak ride, think Romo should Dak falter. Then, this offseason will bear watching closely.

Last edited:

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Hard for anyone to think he could perform to the 2014 levels when he can't stay on the field for more than a few plays.

And let's not kid ourselves early 2015 Romo was nowhere close to 2014 Romo run game or not.

Maybe we've just lowered our expectations to where 2 playoff wins is some huge accomplishment. Pretty pathetic if that's the case.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm assuming he will get hurt again. There is a ton of evidence to support that. And not seeing a guy for a season and half when he is 36-37 years old will make you start to question if he has that same ability any longer. We aren't talking about a 28 year old QB here. We are talking about a guy in his mid to late thirties who has had multiple serious injuries in a very short period of time.

And I'm not sure why you would roll with a 38 yard old QB for 30 mil against the cap when you could get similar production out of a QB costing $750,000.00 and use the rest of that cap money to actually put into the defense. It's why I'm saying in all liklihood this should be our last season with Romo. Unless of course we win the superbowl.
Exactly.

People keep glossing over the fact that 2014 was two broken collar bones and a broken vertebrae ago.

There's a real chance that 2014 Romo is long gone and that we'll get 2015 Manning instead.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Romo may not return to 2014 form but I think it's just as likely that he does, as does not. Yes, he did not light the world on fire in the 2 games he played in 2015 but let us remember they were without Murray and without Bryant and he still had them winning each game. The Panthers was a clunker but it is an outlier not the rule based on the vast majority of his recent work. How many games did Aikman win without Emmitt or Irvin, let alone missing both?

Saying he's not gonna stay healthy is one thing and I agree it's not something you can count on anymore, but ASSUMING he's going to be hurt is equally pessimistic. He does have a top notch OL in front of him and plenty of QBs have bounced back from serious season ending injuries to have productive years afterwards, Peyton Manning most recently.

So I say again, IF Romo returns to 2014 form, and it is an if, but not an unforeseeable one, then he will be our QB for the forseeable future. If he comes back for a game and then is out for the season again, maybe he won't. If he comes back and plays every game like it's the Panthers, he won't either.

But assuming that is all he is now just because it's the most recent memory is false. He probably does still have some good football in him. Not a lot, but some. Keep in mind he did not take any hits his first four years. He could still have tread on the tires.

townsend

Banned
Romo may not return to 2014 form but I think it's just as likely that he does, as does not. Yes, he did not light the world on fire in the 2 games he played in 2015 but let us remember they were without Murray and without Bryant and he still had them winning each game. The Panthers was a clunker but it is an outlier not the rule based on the vast majority of his recent work. How many games did Aikman win without Emmitt or Irvin, let alone missing both?

Saying he's not gonna stay healthy is one thing and I agree it's not something you can count on anymore, but ASSUMING he's going to be hurt is equally pessimistic. He does have a top notch OL in front of him and plenty of QBs have bounced back from serious season ending injuries to have productive years afterwards, Peyton Manning most recently.

So I say again, IF Romo returns to 2014 form, and it is an if, but not an unforeseeable one, then he will be our QB for the forseeable future. If he comes back for a game and then is out for the season again, maybe he won't. If he comes back and plays every game like it's the Panthers, he won't either.

But assuming that is all he is now just because it's the most recent memory is false. He probably does still have some good football in him. Not a lot, but some. Keep in mind he did not take any hits his first four years. He could still have tread on the tires.
The offense was helpless against the Eagles. Same with the Giants except for two (magnificent series at the end of the game) maybe we should just save Romo for the two minute drill when he comes back.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still think that's a poor decision. You can have Romo as your starter or you can have Dak and 30 mil extra in cap room to build the defense. To me that's an easy decision. Especially considering Romo's injury history. When you have a starting QB eating up as much cap room as Romo is hinders our ability to do much of anything in free agency to improve the defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
There's no controversy. Let me be as clear as I can. As I stand here right now, relative to the QB position, there is no controversy. This is not a damn debate guys. - Jerry Jones, after Romo returns and loses his first game.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I still think that's a poor decision. You can have Romo as your starter or you can have Dak and 30 mil extra in cap room to build the defense. To me that's an easy decision. Especially considering Romo's injury history. When you have a starting QB eating up as much cap room as Romo is hinders our ability to do much of anything in free agency to improve the defense.
Well I guess we disagree. But I am not ready to say Prescott is equal to or better than Romo yet either.

Top Bottom