Redskins stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Or his hamstring is actually hurt.:shrug
Yeah and honestly that's what happens when you sit out an entire year of football and basically the entire preseason. Your body just isn't in game shape and you pull things. I hope for a quick healing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dez Bryant, Josh Norman more friends than enemies
7:10 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- On Wednesday, Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman had nothing but praise for Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.

On Thursday, Bryant returned the favor in kind.

For those looking for juicy quotes and back-page headlines, neither player was having it as the teams get ready to meet Sunday at FedEx Field. You will likely have to wait for next week when Norman goes up against Odell Beckham Jr. and the New York Giants after their messy on-field transgressions led the NFL to change their rules regarding unnecessary roughness penalties.

Bryant went so far as to say he and Norman are “frenemies.”

“You could say that,” Bryant said. “Pretty cool. We play for division teams. So of course he’s going to hold it down for his squad. I’m going to hold it down for mine. At the end of the game, we’re going to shake hands and talk about how we did in the game and go the other way.”

It wasn’t like this last Thanksgiving when Norman was with the Carolina Panthers. They jawed back and forth on the field. Norman’s Panthers won the game and Bryant caught only one pass on him for 6 yards. He finished the game with two for 26 yards.

That Bryant was working back from a broken right foot that knocked him out of five games and nine games total, plus a knee injury. This Bryant is healthy.

“It makes a huge difference,” Bryant said, but quickly changing paths. “I’m not going to get into that. I feel good.”

While healthy, this Bryant had just one catch for 8 yards in the season-opening loss to the Giants. He had a touchdown overruled by replay and was targeted only five times. It was hardly what was expected even if the Cowboys were starting a rookie quarterback in Dak Prescott.

In two preseason games with Prescott, Bryant caught two touchdown passes and they looked to have a chemistry from the start.

As much as Bryant avoided any sort of gamesmanship with Norman, he avoided any sort of questioning of the game plan.

Prescott said all the right things too, knowing a happy Bryant makes his chances of succeeding even better.

"That's our guy,'' Prescott said.

In Pittsburgh Antonio Brown is the Steelers’ guy. He had 11 passes thrown his way on ESPN’s Monday Night Football. He caught eight of them for 126 yards and two touchdowns. Bryant watched the game. When he was asked Tuesday about Brown’s performance, he simply smiled.

On Thursday Bryant said, “Well, it’s always fun to see another guy at that position have a hell of a game. Kudos to AB. He’s one of the best in this league. I’m with the Cowboys and we have to stick to what our game plan is. Whatever that is, we’re going to try our best to execute it.”

For his career, Bryant has had more success against the Cowboys’ other NFC East rivals, the Giants and the Philadelphia Eagles. In 10 games against Washington, Bryant has 46 catches for 703 yards and seven touchdowns. He has fewer 100-yard games against the Redskins (one) than the Giants (three) and Eagles (three). He also has only six catches for 25 or more yards. He has eight apiece against New York and Philadelphia.

Be it DeAngelo Hall or Bashaud Breeland, Bryant has not had room to roam. Now he gets Norman.

Norman did not follow Brown all over the field, which considering the price Washington paid him -- five years, $75 million, $50 million guaranteed -- was surprising. Jason Garrett wasn’t sure if Norman would follow Bryant Sunday, but Bryant expects it.

“Yeah, just because he was talking about going against the No. 1 receiver, following the No. 1 receiver,” Bryant said. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to get that opportunity Sunday.”

Bryant wouldn’t want it any other way.

“I want the challenge just like he wants the challenge,” Bryant said. “It’s going to be fun game Sunday. Mutual respect from each other. We’re just going to go out there and put on a good game. It’s not about me or him. It’s about each other’s team.”

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'd rather he not be pals, "frenemies", or much of anything else other than an opponent.

First Beckham, now this?

Sheesh.....I've never been one of those guys who thinks athletes all have to hate each other, but I also don't think you should be this chummy with all the guys in the division either.

Cotton

Staff member
I'd rather he not be pals, "frenemies", or much of anything else other than an opponent.

First Beckham, now this?

Sheesh.....I've never been one of those guys who thinks athletes all have to hate each other, but I also don't think you should be this chummy with all the guys in the division either.
I was actually okay with Beckham since they are both on offense and never see each other on the field. But, this Norman thing? Hell no.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So they will march a gimpy Scandrick over there to cover him

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
By SportsDayDFW.com

Bryan Broaddus, former NFL personnel man and current DallasCowboys.com writer, joined the Shan & RJ Show on KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan on Thursday to talk all things Cowboys football, including Sunday's loss to the Giants and the upcoming Redskins game. Here are some of the highlights:

On what to watch for in Sunday's Cowboys-Redskins game:

Broaddus: "Well, I think you need to look on the Redskins' side of the football, is they've got some incredible talent, especially at wide receiver. (Head coach) Jay Gruden comes out and talks about he wants to run the football, well, he doesn't have anybody that can run the football, so that's his biggest problem right there.

"You can talk about it all you want, but this is a team that's got multiple wide receivers. They've got a tight end, in Jordan Reed, that you need to treat like a wide receiver ... I think this game is really gonna hinge on Jordan Reed and his ability, if the Cowboys can kind of hold him in check. He's one of those guys that can go into a game and average multiple touchdowns, so you have to be careful. I would look for the Cowboys to try and treat him as a wide receiver more than just a tight end.

"On the defensive side of the ball: attacking people. It's obvious (cornerback Bashaud) Breeland didn't play as well as he (could have), and they're a little bit of different front, too, because again, they play a 3-4 like the Giants were a 4-3. Pittsburgh did a pretty good job of blocking them at the point of attack.

"In this game, I always worry about a guy like Ryan Kerrigan, and he's gonna go up against Doug Free, but then they need to attack on the other side, with Preston Smith being over there -- the opposite. Maybe stay behind Tyron Smith and try and run this football and have a little bit more success than they did last week."

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Orlando Scandrick, DeSean Jackson renew acquaintances again
9:13 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas – Orlando Scandrick grew up about a block from DeSean Jackson in Los Angeles. They played with and against each other in Pop Warner football and Little League baseball.

Since 2008, they have been NFC East rivals with Scandrick playing cornerback for the Cowboys and Jackson a wide receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins.

They will reunite on Sunday at FedEx Field for the first time since the 2014 season finale after Scandrick missed the 2015 season with torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his right knee.

“I’m just worrying about myself, getting myself back to playing well,” Scandrick said. “Just want to get better every week. DeSean’s a great player, great friend of mine. It’s always good to compete against him, but it’s more of what we do than what they do; not taking any credit from him because Jax is a great player.”

In 13 games against Dallas, Jackson has 49 catches for 965 yards and three touchdowns, but 456 of those yards have come in three games.

Scandrick is still working himself back into playing form. He left the season opener in the second quarter because of a hamstring strain but returned in the second half and did not miss a snap. He played in 43 out of 56 snaps in his first game since 2014.

He was able to practice fully on Wednesday but sat out of Thursday’s practice, but he does not expect the hamstring strain to bother him. He missed a little time in training camp with a hamstring strain but he said the injury is not a result of compensating for the knee.

“I’ve been away too long,” Scandrick said. “I missed way too many games. I’ve just got to keep going mentally and I know I can do this thing. I know I can get back to where I was, and I’m going to continue to work every day until I get there.”

I guess Scandrick is playing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

First Beckham, now this?

Face it, man, this is just how today's athletes interact. The days of anger or hatred for a rival team/player are practically over.

These guys share agents, sponsors, and do a lot of charities together so they're always crossing paths and hanging out.

I'm generally fine with that. However I do have a problem with what we saw from Dez last week with his tickle buddy OBJ. On game day the buddy, buddy stuff should cease, IMO. You want to catch up and chit chat with your home boy....do it after the game. I don't mind a quick dap or exchange of pleasantries but Dez and OBJ were out there playing catch with one another.

I just think that pregame time could be better used to fine tune the game plan and mentally prepare yourself for the game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Face it, man, this is just how today's athletes interact. The days of anger or hatred for a rival team/player are practically over.

These guys share agents, sponsors, and do a lot of charities together so they're always crossing paths and hanging out.

I'm generally fine with that. However I do have a problem with what we saw from Dez last week with his tickle buddy OBJ. On game day the buddy, buddy stuff should cease, IMO. You want to catch up and chit chat with your home boy....do it after the game. I don't mind a quick dap or exchange of pleasantries but Dez and OBJ were out there playing catch with one another.

I just think that pregame time could be better used to fine tune the game plan and mentally prepare yourself for the game.
Exactly.

Michael Jordan's best friends in the NBA weren't even on his own team, they were on his biggest rival -- The New York Knicks.

He was very close with Charles Oakley, Anthony Mason, and Patrick Ewing. As odd as that seems, those were and still are his boys.

My point is, it shows that guys can he be very good friends on rival teams, but as you pointed out, the difference with Dez and MJ was that MJ was never seen fraternizing with those guys on gamedays. MJ wanted to absolutely kill everyone he played against, friend or not.

That mentality starts the minute he got to the arena (if not sooner), and stayed that way until the game was over. That's what I would expect from Dez or any other player, but I guess that's just not how it is anymore.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

Cowboys cornerback Orlando Scandrick was on the practice field but as the team worked through special teams drills Morris Claiborne worked with the starters. Scandrick has a hamstring strain and did not practice on Thursday. Scandrick went through individual drills in the portion of practice by open to the media.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Time for Byron Jones to have a big game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Time for Byron Jones to have a big game.
:lol

Byron Jones isn't a playmaker so I won't expect much.

I guess the most positive thing you can say about him is that he's at least around the ball and not beaten and abused very often. There's value in that. Not "he was worth the 1st round pick" value, but value nonetheless.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Byron Jones isn't a playmaker so I won't expect much.

I guess the most positive thing you can say about him is that he's at least around the ball and not beaten and abused very often. There's value in that. Not "he was worth the 1st round pick" value, but value nonetheless.
Why is a #1 pick always give this exalted status.

Yeah every guy drafted in the 1st round is a playmaking difference maker on his team.

Go back and look at the guys drafted after 20 in the 1st over the last 3 drafts and tell how many of those guys are "worth" a 1st round pick.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also how many actual "playmaking" safeties are there in the NFL less than 5?

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Redskins completely undervalued Morris. Matt Jones is nice and all, but after that they have a whole bunch of feh at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom