Eagles Release OG Evan Mathis

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No way I'd sign Mathis. Turning 34 and wants big money. Not good enough to be worth it.
Correct. He might be better than Leary or Collins this year. But certainly above the worth of what we are paying them.

D

Deuce

At his age, having limited time left in his career to get on a winner and with it being so late in the offseason he might be cheaper than you guys think.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
At his age, having limited time left in his career to get on a winner and with it being so late in the offseason he might be cheaper than you guys think.

I don't think so. The whole problem was he was holding out because he wanted a raise from his 5 million per year salary. And his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think so. The whole problem was he was holding out because he wanted a raise from his 5 million per year salary. And his agent is Drew Rosenhaus.
Yeah the guy is looking for a Christmas present and if he gets it he will go on the goldbrick express.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So let me get this straight, these fools got rid of both of their starting OG's, replacing them with shit, let Maclin walk, replacing him with a so-so prospect in Agholor, gave up a 2nd rounder in 2017 in order to swap Foles for Bradford and swapped McCoy for Murray and for what?

Just so they could add Alonso and Maxwell to their defense?

This is their grand plan?

So laughable.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's amazing to think at one time we were making do with Holland and Dockery and there are now two guards on the market that teams not playing games in Arlington TX should be signing yesterday.

Mathis seems like the kind of guy the Pats would snap up for a song and get a pro bowl year out of they way they did with Waters.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think if Mathis were willing to play cheaply he would still be an Eagle

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think if Mathis were willing to play cheaply he would still be an Eagle
So he gambled that the Eags wouldn't cut him and he lost. What's he going to do, take market value or retire? Those are his options.

dallen

Senior Tech
So he gambled that the Eags wouldn't cut him and he lost. What's he going to do, take market value or retire? Those are his options.
I imagine he will follow Waters lead and sit out training camp and hope a team gets desperate. He's 34, isn't he? He very well might retire if it isn't worth the toll on his body.

D

Deuce

I get that, but he isn't getting that or better at this point in the process. If he wants to play, he's going to have to back off a little. Add in the bonus of competing for a Super Bowl and seeing the Eagles twice he might want it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I get that, but he isn't getting that or better at this point in the process. If he wants to play, he's going to have to back off a little. Add in the bonus of competing for a Super Bowl and seeing the Eagles twice he might want it.
we'll see, and maybe they miscalculated, but Rosenhaus tends to get his players paid.

This may be about signing bonus. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 10 million dollar signing bonus over 3 years, which means he will probably come out ahead.

Given that, I don't want anything to do with him. I'd rather have Leary. In 3 years Leary will be in his prime, while Mathis will either be retired or close to it.

If we were desperate for a guard I'd feel differently, but this would at best be a slight short term upgrade for money that would best be saved or used elsewhere.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we are good on the OL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just hope he doesn't end up with the Giants.

Top Bottom