Jason Peters says Eagles' offensive line is better than Cowboys'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Peters says Eagles' offensive line is better than Cowboys'
Jeffrey Kahn

Philadelphia Eagles tackle Jason Peters is saying that his offensive line is better than the Dallas Cowboys'.

DeMarco Murray, formerly with the Cowboys, is now the main man in Philly. Peters believes the workhorse back can duplicate his 2014 season and rush for at least 1,845 yards because of the Eagles offensive line.

"[Murray] was the rushing champ last year," Peters said, via Chris McPherson of Eagles.com. "He almost broke the record. For him to come here and not duplicate that, that would discredit us a little bit with the Dallas offensive line. We've got to make sure he gets his yards. That's a big challenge. The Dallas offensive line is good. We're just better. We're going to make sure he gets his yards."

Peters actually isn't that far off. According to ProFootballFocus.com, the Eagles had the second best offensive line in the NFL last season. They were also ranked as the top run-blocking unit while the Cowboys were second. Of course, the Cowboys were ranked No. 1 overall.

But since last year, a few things have changed. The Cowboys added a first-round talent in La'el Collins while the Eagles waived Pro Bowl offensive guard Evan Mathis. The Eagles also released offensive guard Todd Herremans, that should still be considered a lost even though he missed half of the 2014 season.

The Cowboys aren't exactly interested in talking up their offensive line. Despite Collins previously making comments about the possibility of becoming the greatest offensive line ever, center Travis Frederick has downplayed that chance. Still, the Cowboys do have the scariest position group in the NFL with their offensive line and Peters' comments might have just made them a little bit scarier.

townsend

Banned
I feel like if you don't think you have the best unit you're kind of screwing up. What professional athlete would be like, "Yeah he'll do okay here, were not as good as Dallas, but we try really hard."

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Eagles OL got worse by cutting Mathis, Murray will share opportunities with Mathews and Sproles, and Bradford/Agholor isn't the passing threat Romo/Bryant is to back defenses out of 8-man fronts.

Don't see how Murray is going to get even close to 1800+ yards.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Eagles OL got worse by cutting Mathis, Murray will share opportunities with Mathews and Sproles, and Bradford/Agholor isn't the passing threat Romo/Bryant is to back defenses out of 8-man fronts.

Don't see how Murray is going to get even close to 1800+ yards.
He won't get 1800 yards but barring injury I look for him to put up around 1400.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He won't get 1800 yards but barring injury I look for him to put up around 1400.
Kelly loves to pound the ball, but Philly has bailed on the idea of a true lead back.

Mathews will siphon at least 100 carries and Sproles will take a lot of catches and maybe 25-40 carries too.

Then there's the injury factor after 400 tough carries last year. Murray might not last. It could go in Murray's favor if Mathews gets hurt again, but what are the odds Mathews goes down three seasons in a row?

I think the Eagles are going to want to keep him healthy for a possible playoff run, so I predict about 200 carries and under 1000 yards. There just aren't enough footballs.

townsend

Banned
Ricky Williams, Larry Johnson, and Chris Johnson all lost at least a yard per carry after their big season. None of them had to take a drastic downgrade in OL, and play with a completely new team. None of them were worthwhile starters more than a year out from their big season.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Ricky Williams, Larry Johnson, and Chris Johnson all lost at least a yard per carry after their big season. None of them had to take a drastic downgrade in OL, and play with a completely new team. None of them were worthwhile starters more than a year out from their big season.
And only one of those backs was an all-world Erik Dickerson/LaDanian Tomlinson/Adrian Peterson type talent, and (the only one that was) Ricky Williams had issues.

townsend

Banned
And only one of those backs was an all-world Erik Dickerson/LaDanian Tomlinson/Adrian Peterson type talent, and (the only one that was) Ricky Williams had issues.
Dickerson is the only back that's ever been able to continue production at that level after 400ish carries, and Murray isn't the son of Zeus born of a human woman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You've seen the last of those from Murray I'm almost sure.
Now he's absolutely going to thrive in Philly with a solid OL and a coach that likes to run the ball up the gut vs nickel defenses. but the production isn't going to be even close.

Top Bottom