MacMahon - Jerry: Carter will never meet expectations

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry: Carter will never meet expectations

August, 22, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

A year ago, Bruce Carter was being compared to Derrick Brooks, the Hall of Famer who set the standard for weakside linebacker in the Tampa 2 scheme.

Now, Carter is competing for the right to start for a Dallas Cowboys defense that ranked dead last in the league last season.

Matter of fact, owner and general manager Jerry Jones routinely doesn’t mention Carter when discussing the Cowboys’ potential starting linebacker trio. He stresses the optimism about twice-retired newcomer Rolando McClain, Justin Durant and Kyle Wilber.

What about Carter?

"I think the fact that you’re not hearing as much about Bruce really means more the level that those three other linebackers are playing and the potential that we have in Rolando," Jones said Friday on 105.3 The Fan. "With all of that in mind, I think that’s as much as anything. Bruce, I would say, is playing at a higher level than he played at last year for sure."

That is pretty faint praise, considering Carter was one of the NFL’s biggest disappointments last season. Instead of blossoming into a star as anticipated, he was twice benched for journeyman Ernie Sims.

"He will never play at the level of his expectation or the fans’ expectation or the coaches’ expectation, because he’s absolutely one of the best athletes in the NFL," Jones said. "He’s fast and he’s got the size, so all of that ought to make him ideally suited for certainly our weak linebacker position.

"Having said that, I think you’ll see a lot of him. Whether or not it’s as a quote starter, I couldn’t tell you at this time, but I’m glad we’ve got him."

The question is no longer whether Carter can be a long-term foundation piece for the Cowboys, much less a perennial Pro Bowler. At this point, it’s whether Carter can contribute to a Dallas defense that desperately needs playmakers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
"He will never play at the level of his expectation or the fans’ expectation or the coaches’ expectation, because he’s absolutely one of the best athletes in the NFL," Jones said.
I saw and posted this quote earlier when I saw it on twitter, ad still don't understand what the hell he is trying to say.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I saw and posted this quote earlier when I saw it on twitter, ad still don't understand what the hell he is trying to say.
Me either. It's an oxymoron of the Jones variety. It seems he is saying he is such a great athlete that he can't play up to expectations. Can that be deciphered by anyone? :crazy

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
"I think the fact that you’re not hearing as much about Bruce really means more the level that those three other linebackers are playing and the potential that we have in Rolando,"
unbelievable.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Here's what I think he means: Carter will never play up to Jerry's perception of his athletic ability.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Here's what I think he means: Carter will never play up to Jerry's perception of his athletic ability.
Or maybe it means that he is a great athlete but a big disappointment. Might mean the same thing.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I think if you translate from Jerry-ese it means he has the requisite athleticism but Jerry and the staff think he's too stupid to grasp the defense.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Maybe it's just a symptom of the onset of dementia? :crazy

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bruce Carter makes plays, impresses Jones

August, 24, 2014

By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

MIAMI -- It's pretty clear the Dallas Cowboys are ready to move on from weakside linebacker Bruce Carter.

The Cowboys were disappointed when Pittsburgh took linebacker Ryan Shazier one pick ahead of them in May's draft, and they want Rolando McClain to earn the starting middle linebacker job because it would allow the coaching staff to move Justin Durant to Carter's position.

But Carter gave the coaching staff a glimpse Saturday of why they drafted him in the second round of the 2011 draft with a nice diving deflection of a pass in the first quarter and an apparent blocked punt that was nullified by a penalty.

"Actually Bruce had some good things happen for him tonight and I particularly like him on that pass coverage," owner Jerry Jones said. "He shows what he can be for you on plays out there. But I thought Bruce really in practice or in a game, probably has looked the best he’s looked."

Carter has the size, speed and athleticism the Cowboys want in a weakside linebacker. Athletically, he fits this scheme perfectly because it allows him to run freely to the ball sine he's always protected from offensive lineman by a defensive tackle. Carter's problem is he still thinks too much on the field, which negates his athleticism.

Whether Carter starts or not, he's going to have a significant role in the Cowboys' nickel defense because of his pass-covering ability. He's entering the last year of his contract and the Cowboys, for now, have no plans to re-sign him.

It's up to Carter to change that.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Okay I will take my shot at deciphering Jerry's previous comments. Bruce is physically amazing, and while he might never be a pure phenome on the field (because he sucks?) he will still have a roll on this team.

Now I know this is not what he said, but I think it would make more sense if it was what he meant.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Okay I will take my shot at deciphering Jerry's previous comments. Bruce is physically amazing, and while he might never be a pure phenome on the field (because he sucks?) he will still have a roll on this team.

Now I know this is not what he said, but I think it would make more sense if it was what he meant.
Is that a roll or a role? He might not want to be rolled by the organization. :art

Top Bottom