NFL versus NBA - Which one is tougher and stuff

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There are very few threads that do not evolve in discussion but this is one of the first hybrid sports threads I can recall.
We are innovators here at the DCC.

data

Forbes #1
Hahha just saw the title and had to come in and laugh.

data

Forbes #1
Can we have a separate thread to discuss the merits of a separate thread? It's muddying up the 'tuff enuf' conversation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Can we have a separate thread to discuss the merits of a separate thread? It's muddying up the 'tuff enuf' conversation.
How about we just start a poll to decide what everyone thinks?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ya know, I might be able to participate in this lively discussion if I gave a shit about basketball.

Too bad I find it barely above soccer on my sports concern scale.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
There are very few threads that do not evolve in discussion but this is one of the first hybrid sports threads I can recall.
I think we had one once about how cool it would be if bad football teams could be demoted to the minor leagues for sucking like football teams.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Let's appoint a committee to determine if we can have a discussion on the merits of a seperate thread. First however, we need to nominate candidates to serve on the committee. Before that we need to determine who is eligible to make a nomination. The owners and mods need to.convene to set up the official guidelines for candidate nomination eligibility. Okay did I miss anything. This should be a snap. Monty Python rules of order.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Yes his post was thorough but I said essentially the same thing.

But since you need a link and stats here you go.

http://82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

As opposed to football

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_2.php

So to sum it up Football has about a 50% hit rate on 1st round picks while Basketball is much less.
Now was that so hard?

Unfortunately, neither of those links back up the claim that
And after the top 10 picks in basketball there is a 20% chance they get a second contract
But I don't really care about that claim. Just thought it was a made up stat... If you have the numbers on it, or a link to it, I'd like to see it. If not, ok... just say so.

As to the merits of the football vs. basketball draft hit rates... No one's arguing that it's easier to hit on basketball picks than on football picks. I do think it's easier to "hit" on football picks, for a number of reasons. It goes back to the facts that football teams have to put more players on the field at one time, there are more roster spots, etc.

Basketball players generally have longer careers because the damage done to the body is not as high as football. This leads to guys often hanging around 15-20 seasons, which decreases the likelihood a draft pick sticks.

Genghis Khan came in and made the blanket statement that it's easier to replace a guy in football than in basketball... It may be true, it may not be true... but I don't know how you quantify that. It depends on how you define the term "replace." Are you just talking about filling the departed player's roster spot? That's simple in either league. Are you talking about replacing an elite guy with similar level talent? Yeah that's hard to do in any sport. Elite players at any position aren't easy to find. I doubt the Dolphins would say it's been easy to replace Marino. It took years for the Cowboys to find a suitable replacement for Aikman, Irvin, Woodson, etc.

Top Bottom