Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What's unrealistic about 10 years of 8-11 sacks per?
It sounds like you meant a Greg Ellis/Patrick Kerney type career, which I agree would be at the upper bounds of realistic expectations. Anything more that that would be an unexpected bonus.

Mathis is kind of a monster. He has 111 career sacks, 20th all time in NFL history and more than his teammate Dwight Freeney. Unlike Freeney, Mathis is still going strong as he had 19.5 sacks just last year thriving as a 3-4 SOLB.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Before Mathis exploded last year as a 3-4 LB, his high total was 11.5 sacks, as a DE. And that's what people were saying. 8-11 sacks.

D

Deuce

Before Mathis exploded last year as a 3-4 LB, his high total was 11.5 sacks, as a DE. And that's what people were saying. 8-11 sacks.
Pretty much, hence my "Except for last year where he just went absolute bananas" part.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Pretty much, hence my "Except for last year where he just went absolute bananas" part.
I was agreeing with you. Posted that more for ravi changing your comparison to Ellis/Kerney.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hardy is as good as gone in in 2015 but will start in 2014 allowing Ealy to ease into the lineup. Ealy has a strong DL around him and won't see the double teams Lawrence will.
I doubt Ealy ends up being good enough to draw double teams.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I doubt Ealy ends up being good enough to draw double teams.
That's the thing. We need more than a guy who gets a set range of sacks. We need someone who gets consistent pressure and is someone defenses have to account for.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That's the thing. We need more than a guy who gets a set range of sacks. We need someone who gets consistent pressure and is someone defenses have to account for.
We need lots of things. Including a #1 pass rushing right end, and a #2 strongside Anthony Spencer type end.

If you don't think Ealy is capable of either of those things, fine, but I think he can be the latter.

I'll always take two solid starters over one, so unless Lawrence transcends being a "solid #1 pass rusher" and elevates his game to every year Pro Bowl candidate, I doubt I'll be happy with this trade. We'll see.

Genghis Khan

We need lots of things. Including a #1 pass rushing right end, and a #2 strongside Anthony Spencer type end.

If you don't think Ealy is capable of either of those things, fine, but I think he can be the latter.

I'll always take two solid starters over one, so unless Lawrence transcends being a "solid #1 pass rusher" and elevates his game to every year Pro Bowl candidate, I doubt I'll be happy with this trade. We'll see.

#1 is a much bigger need than #2, and much harder to find. In fact, we may already have #2.

Genghis Khan

For the record, I don't agree with the trade up. Too many holes and too deep of a draft to do that. The one thing that would justify it would be if Lawrence turns out to be elite, which I doubt.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
#1 is a much bigger need than #2, and much harder to find. In fact, we may already have #2.
This is exactly right. A run stopping end is not that difficult to find. A 10+ sack a year guy is much harder to find and will have a much bigger impact on the defense. I just hope that Lawrence is a 10 sack a year type end. He looks like he has the ability. It was a thin draft for pass rushing DE's and Dallas knew the well was running dry. Hell that's why teams like the Eagles reached for a 3rd round pass rusher in the first round of the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

And if Kony Ealy becomes the next Robert Ayers then who gives a shit.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
For the record, I don't agree with the trade up. Too many holes and too deep of a draft to do that. The one thing that would justify it would be if Lawrence turns out to be elite, which I doubt.
The main problem I have with the trade is we overpaid again. Much better if the value equaled out or, gasp, we actually came out on the high end for once. We should've received an additional 4th or at least a 5th and 6th.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
This is exactly right. A run stopping end is not that difficult to find. A 10+ sack a year guy is much harder to find and will have a much bigger impact on the defense. I just hope that Lawrence is a 10 sack a year type end. He looks like he has the ability. It was a thin draft for pass rushing DE's and Dallas knew the well was running dry. Hell that's why teams like the Eagles reached for a 3rd round pass rusher in the first round of the draft.
Most "experts" had Lawrence rated right around the same as "the Eagles reach of a 3rd round pass rusher"
To me the RE was a given, now if they knew he was a late first/very early 2nd then the question is do you take him after a trade down and add a 3rd or do you pick Z. Martin at 16 and lose a 3rd to trade up.
I would have much rather had 26+47+78+83 than 16+34 (even though I really like Z. Martin), with those 4 picks you would have had your RE (Lawrence at 26) and according to all reports your LE/3tech (Ealy at 47), your G (Turner at 78) + a freebie that could turn into Nix, Ellington, Thomas, etc.
That means you've given yourself a shot at covering your #1 need RE, LE, OL and a whatever, instead of OL + the same RE as the other option.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most "experts" had Lawrence rated right around the same as "the Eagles reach of a 3rd round pass rusher"
To me the RE was a given, now if they knew he was a late first/very early 2nd then the question is do you take him after a trade down and add a 3rd or do you pick Z. Martin at 16 and lose a 3rd to trade up.
I would have much rather had 26+47+78+83 than 16+34 (even though I really like Z. Martin), with those 4 picks you would have had your RE (Lawrence at 26) and according to all reports your LE/3tech (Ealy at 47), your G (Turner at 78) + a freebie that could turn into Nix, Ellington, Thomas, etc.
That means you've given yourself a shot at covering your #1 need RE, LE, OL and a whatever, instead of OL + the same RE as the other option.
I agree with you but it kind of depends on what you think of Martin. If you view him as a special talent then you don't make that trade. I'm not as high on Martin as some people but I do see a guy that I think will find a spot to start for a long time in the NFL.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Demarcus Lawrence and Marcus Smith were generally graded a full round or so apart, Lawrence was a borderline 1st/2nd while Smith was a borderline 2nd/3rd, they weren't rated the same.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Demarcus Lawrence and Marcus Smith were generally graded a full round or so apart, Lawrence was a borderline 1st/2nd while Smith was a borderline 2nd/3rd, they weren't rated the same.
I'd even go as far to say they were a full 2 rounds apart according to "experts"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom