DC.com - Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

townsend

Banned
That draft is Zeke, that is all you care about. You sound like Jerry with your "sell out to win now" attitude.
The good news would be that we'd have a pretty good chance to be at the top of the draft next year that way. But if we were planning on that, we should just wait to draft a RB till then and see if we can snag Fournette.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Broaddus redo:

1st: Zeke Elliott RB OSU
2nd: Karl Joseph S wvu
3rd: Carl Nassib DE Ped St.
4th: Rashard Higgins WR Col St.
4th: Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame
6th: Dan Vitale FB Northwestern
6th: Jeff Driskel QB La Tech
6th: Jakeem Grant WR Texas Tech

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The good news would be that we'd have a pretty good chance to be at the top of the draft next year that way. But if we were planning on that, we should just wait to draft a RB till then and see if we can snag Fournette.
Now Fournette is a RB I could see as a legitimate top 10 talent at that position.

townsend

Banned
Now Fournette is a RB I could see as a legitimate top 10 talent at that position.
He seems like the next Campbell, Walker, Dickinson, Peterson. The once in a generation guy that'll be the next guy to make 2000 yards in a season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He seems like the next Campbell, Walker, Dickinson, Peterson. The once in a generation guy that'll be the next guy to make 2000 yards in a season.
Yeah my general rule would be to never take a RB in the top ten but every once in awhile a special talent comes along that is worth breaking that rule for. AP looked really special in college. Fournette is the first RB I have seen since then that looks that way to me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well no doubt, but WGAS. You could say the same thing about Andrew Luck vs Carson Wentz. In fact, that comparison is a total joke. At this time last year no one but NoDak and Mrs. NoDak even knew about Carson Wentz.

Zeke by contrast is only a shade less talented than Fournette as a pure runner and also shines all-around as receiver and blocker.

Zeke's shown character at the highest levels of competition coming up with his biggest games at the most important times. He carried the Buckeyes to a title and should have done it again.

There's no projecting or developing or hoping with Zeke, you get an impact talent right now. And I'm sure by October Buckner would also be a starter.

But I've come to terms with the fact that Zeke wearing a star ain't happening.

Jerry loves him some McFadden who I'm sure he loves to point out was also the 4th overall pick. Morris ensured this.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Actually Ravi Wentz was known in some circles. His school has been formitable in their division for a few years. They have played in or won the National Championship for several years now. I know this because the championship game is currently held in Frisco,Texas just a few miles from me.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We've done nothing at backup QB, so we're probably drafting one at 4.

BTW, it won't be Carson Wentz. He's going to Cleveland.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We've done nothing at backup QB, so we're probably drafting one at 4.

BTW, it won't be Carson Wentz. He's going to Cleveland.
I just don't see Jerry signing off on taking a QB at 4 who he expects will sit for at least 2-3 years. He and Garrett will probably want a more immediate starter in the first. But I'm positive we will draft a QB since we haven't addressed the backup situation, I just think it'll be in the 3rd or 4th round.

If we don't take a QB in the first, I don't mind taking a QB prospect in the 3rd/4th who can be a backup and developmental QB. But if drafting a 2nd/3rd tier QB causes us to ignore the QB position for a few years waiting to see how he develops. then I'd rather pass on QB altogether this this year.

townsend

Banned
I just don't see Jerry signing off on taking a QB at 4 who he expects will sit for at least 2-3 years. He and Garrett will probably want a more immediate starter in the first. But I'm positive we will draft a QB since we haven't addressed the backup situation, I just think it'll be in the 3rd or 4th round.

If we don't take a QB in the first, I don't mind taking a QB prospect in the 3rd/4th who can be a backup and developmental QB. But if drafting a 2nd/3rd tier QB causes us to ignore the QB position for a few years waiting to see how he develops. then I'd rather pass on QB altogether this this year.
I'd like to believe they aren't fools enough to actually believe a QB that's finished 2 of the last 3 years on IR, and ends every season gimpy is actually someone we can count on for 2-3 years. Even the dumbest front office should be expecting an open competition for starting QB in 2017.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Passing all together won't solve anything because if Romo makes it through the season on his feet it will be the same conundrum next season. If he doesn't make it then passing on this season's opportunit will still bite Dallas in the butt in the long term and short term will eliminate the lower round project acquired this year to find look for Romo s replacement.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Passing all together won't solve anything because if Romo makes it through the season on his feet it will be the same conundrum next season. If he doesn't make it then passing on this season's opportunit will still bite Dallas in the butt in the long term and short term will eliminate the lower round project acquired this year to find look for Romo s replacement.
Maybe. Next year's draft is over a year away. We might have an idea now of who the top QB prospects will be but we don't know for sure how things will pan out between now and then. If Romo does stay healthy then we should be drafting probably late teens/early 20's and it would make it more difficult to acquire a top QB talent, but not impossible. But there's also a chance we are back in the top 10 next year, especially if Romo misses extended action again.

Anyway, I do prefer we get Wentz or Goff, but if not and we don't even take a QB at all I don't think we are destined to not get a top prospect within the next 2 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyway, I do prefer we get Wentz or Goff, but if not and we don't even take a QB at all I don't think we are destined to not get a top prospect within the next 2 years.
Sure and I would prefer not to suck ass for the next two years and then be starting fresh with a rookie. Setting the whole process back 2 years or more.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure and I would prefer not to suck ass for the next two years and then be starting fresh with a rookie. Setting the whole process back 2 years or more.
Yep. This is the best opportunity Dallas will get to obtain a top rated replacement for Romo. I cannot visualize Dallas being in this position next draft. Even if Romo went down the second or third game I think the record would be better.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Are you Cleveland's GM? That would actually explain a lot.
:lol

No way I believe Cleveland takes a QB just to create instant controversy with RG3. Their baseball GM has saber metricized himself into trying to rescue an 'elite talent' from the animal shelter so he can pick a top athlete like Jack or Ramsey.

If they had wanted a QB to play OK and develop a rookie behind him they would have signed Fitzpatrick. The only reason you go for a guy like RG3 involves words like 'potential' and 'upside'.

Jiggyfly

Banned

No way I believe Cleveland takes a QB just to create instant controversy with RG3. Their baseball GM has saber metricized himself into trying to rescue an 'elite talent' from the animal shelter so he can pick a top athlete like Jack or Ramsey.

If they had wanted a QB to play OK and develop a rookie behind him they would have signed Fitzpatrick. The only reason you go for a guy like RG3 involves words like 'potential' and 'upside'.
That actually sounds right, using analytic's would have you going for the cheaper upside guy.

They will probably target a younger guy with the 2nd or 3rd round pick.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I agree. I think their QB question was answered when they took on RG111. He may not work out but he is their personnel game plan.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I think we have our choice of the 3. If you truly believe that Romo can last, trade back, get an extra 2 plus, and get Lynch. Work with him for 2 years and he'll be ready to take over. If not and Tony can go another 1 or 2, trade Lynch for a top pick and do it again. IT isn't rocket science damnit.

Top Bottom