MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Being reported that Cubs signed Heyward. Sweet. Want to see the details of the deal. Have to meet someone for lunch, damn it. Hope they don't mind me ignoring them and reading all about this on my phone!

Carp

DCC 4Life
Being reported that Cubs signed Heyward. Sweet. Want to see the details of the deal. Have to meet someone for lunch, damn it. Hope they don't mind me ignoring them and reading all about this on my phone!
Our sweep of the Cubs made you guys open your check book. I look forward to sweeping you guys again.

Regards,

NL Champs

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yes Valesquez was all those things before he actually got called up but he had real issues getting major league hitters out.

Fisher rating has stagnated he has been a dissapointment so far, he is barely a top 10 prospect in the organization.

Nothing Houston gave up is a top level talent even if Valesquez stuff starts to translate he is probably a good 2 or 3.

Yes they got a nice package but to give up a young closer with the type of success and stuff Giles has and the fact that he is cost controlled for 5 more years and I would have exspected to give up much more.

Maybe I am just overestimating the Hype with Giles.
Fisher hit .275 and had over 20 HRs and 80 RBIs in his first full pro season. After hitting over .300 the previous year. Nice get by Philly.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Our sweep of the Cubs made you guys open your check book. I look forward to sweeping you guys again.

Regards,

NL Champs
:lol

Yeah, "winning" December obviously does not mean a damn thing. I do really like what the Cubs have done so far though. Adding contact hitters like Zobrist and Heyward will help, and Heyward is going to help their run prevention as well.

Sounds like the Cubs are still trying to trade for a young starting pitcher. Been linked to a lot of them with either Soler or Baez as the centerpiece. I would much rather trade Soler now. Baez could flame out with his high K rate but he has a lot of versatility so I like him better from a roster construction standpoint right now if they are going to move one of them. Admittedly though, offensively an OF of Schwarber in LF, Heyward in CF, and Soler in RF...:drool

Wonder if they might move Soler for a starting pitcher, let Heyward play RF, and try to get a glove first CF to really focus on run prevention. I wouldn't hate that either. Baez is playing CF in winter ball. Didn't take Billy Hamilton long to transition from minor league SS to starting MLB CF. We'll see.

Jiggyfly

Banned
50 hits in 55.2 IP is pretty solid. His WHIP was a bit high at 1.275 because he walked a few too many but his K/9 and K/BB rate were pretty good. Plus he was only 23 and it was his first crack at the majors (and only 55.2 IP).

I agree that you shouldn't be terribly upset that he got traded for a closer but I don't think anyone should be discouraged by what he did last season in limited innings.

A good #2 or #3 starting pitcher who is cost controlled has a lot of value to a team so if he turns into that soon it will be a big win for Philly.
Not that up on the metrics and how they translate but in most of his starts he was near 100 pitches around the 5th hinning, he never got rocked but he was always in trouble. He can easily turn all that around just from the eye test something was off.

If 2 of these guys top out yeah it will be a big win but outside of velasquez none of these guys sem to be in Giles class as prospects.

I am also looking at it from how much it hurts the Astros moving forward and the glaring need they filled.

IMO they got off pretty easy.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
1:47pm: Heyward’s contract does indeed contain the option to opt out early, reports MLB Network’s Peter Gammons (Twitter link). However, he can opt out not only once, but twice, per Gammons. ESPN Chicago’s Jesse Rogers reports (also on Twitter) that the first opt-out clause comes three years into the contract, meaning Heyward can hit the open market entering his age-29 season if he chooses.
----------------------------------------------
Fine by me. If he chooses to opt out after 3 years that means he was awfully good for those seasons.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Fisher hit .275 and had over 20 HRs and 80 RBIs in his first full pro season. After hitting over .300 the previous year. Nice get by Philly.
Everything I read in his scouting reports say his power has been a dissapointment and that is why he has been passed by others as a prospect.

He is also considered a very average LF only prospect.

And we are talking about a 22-year-old guy out of college.

But anyway this is all opinion at this point time will tell.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Everything I read in his scouting reports say his power has been a dissapointment and that is why he has been passed by others as a prospect.

He is also considered a very average LF only prospect.

And we are talking about a 22-year-old guy out of college.

But anyway this is all opinion at this point time will tell.
Dude hit 22 HRs in his first full year...he has plus power at this stage.

Carp

DCC 4Life
:lol

Yeah, "winning" December obviously does not mean a damn thing. I do really like what the Cubs have done so far though. Adding contact hitters like Zobrist and Heyward will help, and Heyward is going to help their run prevention as well.

Sounds like the Cubs are still trying to trade for a young starting pitcher. Been linked to a lot of them with either Soler or Baez as the centerpiece. I would much rather trade Soler now. Baez could flame out with his high K rate but he has a lot of versatility so I like him better from a roster construction standpoint right now if they are going to move one of them. Admittedly though, offensively an OF of Schwarber in LF, Heyward in CF, and Soler in RF...:drool

Wonder if they might move Soler for a starting pitcher, let Heyward play RF, and try to get a glove first CF to really focus on run prevention. I wouldn't hate that either. Baez is playing CF in winter ball. Didn't take Billy Hamilton long to transition from minor league SS to starting MLB CF. We'll see.
God...Schwarber in LF sucsks so hard. I felt bad for the guy...he is lost out there.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
God...Schwarber in LF sucsks so hard. I felt bad for the guy...he is lost out there.
I don't foresee any scenario where he is ever a good defensive LF but he just started playing OF last year. He came up as a C. I think given some more time/experience out there he can at least improve to the point where he isn't a disaster.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't foresee any scenario where he is ever a good defensive LF but he just started playing OF last year. He came up as a C. I think given some more time/experience out there he can at least improve to the point where he isn't a disaster.
I would put Bryant back in the OF and see if he can play 3B.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would put Bryant back in the OF and see if he can play 3B.
Not sure he would be any better at 3B. Tougher position to play than LF. Just have to hope he improves enough in LF to be passable. His bat looks special. Wouldn't want to trade him. Maybe if after 2016 they determine that he is a lost cause in LF they can consider it but I would certainly give him time. Have to imagine if it does get to the point where they trade him to someone to play 1B or an AL team to DH he would have some pretty massive trade value. Ideally though he'll get better in LF and continue mashing the ball in the middle of this formidable Cubs lineup.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Cuddyer is retiring...somewhat surprising, but I hope they can reach a cheap buyout so it frees up more money for a CF. I'd love to get Fowler.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wow...Fisher is no longer a part of the deal...they included Appel and another pitcher.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
#Phillies have acquired RHPs Vincent Velasquez, Mark Appel, Thomas Eshelman and Harold Arauz, as well as LHP Brett Oberholtzer

Top Bottom