Cowboys’ Ron Leary says he ‘definitely’ is the starter over La’el Collins

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cowboys’ Ron Leary says he ‘definitely’ is the starter over La’el Collins

David Moore Follow @DavidMooreDMN Email dmoore@dallasnews.com
Published: August 5, 2015 11:25 am

La’el Collins is a top 15 talent that fell into the Cowboys lap after the draft due to a serious of unfortunate circumstances. He should be a big part of this team’s future.

But the assumption that the rookie would simply step into the starting lineup is premature.

Ask Ron Leary. He currently owns the job Collins is trying to claim.

“It bothered me a little bit, but it’s part of the game,’’ Leary said of Collins’ presumed ascension. “I know I can play. I know I’m a starter in this league. I’ve just got to remind everybody.’’

Leary came into this league as a rookie free agent in 2012. As he says, he knows he must prove himself every year. He hasn’t made a Pro Bowl like three of his teammates in the offensive line, but he has started 31 games at left guard the last two seasons and is a strong, physical presence.

Does the starting job at left guard still belong to Leary?

“It is mine,’’ he said. “Definitely.’’

Collins has impressed the Cowboys coaching staff as a hard worker with passion who needs to focus on the technical aspects of the position in this camp. He will mount a challenge.

But it won’t be easy to pass Leary.

“I think Ron has responded really well,’’ head coach Jason Garrett said.

“It’s about competition. We make it abundantly clear with everybody on our team it’s our job to constantly look for guys who make the Dallas Cowboys football team better. Period. So it’s going to be competitive. It’s going to be competitive within the guys who are on our team already. It’s going to be competitive with guys who aren’t on our team who we think might be able to come in and make our team better. The standard is going to be high, the competition is going to be high and that’s what they need to expect.

“That’s what we’re going to do each and every day. I think Ron understands that and I think he’s responded really well to it.’’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well, he pretty much is.

I don't know to be disappointed in Collins for not mounting a challenge or the staff for not exactly making it an open competition.

In a way, I have thought about simply showcasing Collins in the preseason, and then trading him.

He's a chip. Maybe he is the RT of the future, if so, put him there some.

Very puzzling to me.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are reading way too much into this. Reports are that Collins looks very good, and Leary is a free agent after this season.

He takes over at either LG or RT after this season even if he doesn't immediately beat out Leary.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You are reading way too much into this. Reports are that Collins looks very good, and Leary is a free agent after this season.

He takes over at either LG or RT after this season even if he doesn't immediately beat out Leary.
Yeah, I know. I just find it odd that he was recruited to make the OL dominant and now, he is a spare part.

This is a player that could have been a top 15 choice.

I just wonder what they are scared of.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I know. I just find it odd that he was recruited to make the OL dominant and now, he is a spare part.

This is a player that could have been a top 15 choice.

I just wonder what they are scared of.
I don't think of Leary as highly as some do, but he can be a very good player. He played very well against JJ Watt.

He's also the most inconsistent of their linemen (unless you count that Free can apparently have entire bad seasons).

So yeah, I'd be excited to push Collins into the lineup, but I mean, we did have the best line in the league last year. I can see why they don't want to just hand the job to Collins.

Its ok. It'll happen eventually. It's not like he's stuck behind Montrae Holland.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't think of Leary as highly as some do, but he can be a very good player. He played very well against JJ Watt.

He's also the most inconsistent of their linemen (unless you count that Free can apparently have entire bad seasons).
I think Free is just as inconsistent. Leary just is a big guy that seems a little miscast. He's not your typical zone guy. He is more of a man-power blocker. But he has real talent.

So yeah, I'd be excited to push Collins into the lineup, but I mean, we did have the best line in the league last year. I can see why they don't want to just hand the job to Collins.
I think that continuity matters on an OL, but I get it. I just wonder why they are going with the Weems at swing and Collins inside.

Is Collins that limited? I don't think so.

Free is weaker than Leary on the field, IMO.

I am just confused by their philosophy, that's all.

Its ok. It'll happen eventually. It's not like he's stuck behind Montrae Holland.
Montrae Holland. :lol

We have come a long way.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Shit takes time. It was always clear to me Collins wouldn't start unless one of the established starters got hurt.

He's just too far behind as a rookie to crack this lineup.

So he's top depth in 2015 and a sure starter in 2016 after Leary signs his offseason mega-deal with someone else.

We were lucky last year to have only one injury to the OL starters. Sooner or later that will change, Collins will replace that guy and probably never look back.

Imagine Leon Searcy miraculously falls in the Cowboys' lap after the 1992 draft for the same reasons Collins did, but we've got undrafted Mark Tuinei playing at a high level and 3rd round pick Big E coming off one of the most dominant rookie seasons for a RT in ages.

Searcy should take over for Tui, but Tui flat out outplays him in every practice. How do you justify playing Searcy at all?

The Steelers themselves didn't start Searcy until 1993 as it was.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I don't understand why they're not testing La'el out at RT. Free has some age on him and likely needs the heated competition more than Leary does. Also consider that Bernadeau has filled in ok at G and it makes me wonder even more about the decision not to kick Collins out to RT.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't understand why they're not testing La'el out at RT. Free has some age on him and likely needs the heated competition more than Leary does. Also consider that Bernadeau has filled in ok at G and it makes me wonder even more about the decision not to kick Collins out to RT.
I think they tried when Free was dinged early in OTAs, but that disappeared quick. I think they concluded Collins was a guard end of story, which is a shame because I'd love to see him at RT.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I think they tried when Free was dinged early in OTAs, but that disappeared quick. I think they concluded Collins was a guard end of story, which is a shame because I'd love to see him at RT.
With Frederick and Martin, I hoped that they'd let those fellas work on one position only and not flip-flop from C-->G and G-->C, but Collins is a luxury. It's crazy that they don't give him a shot to replace Free.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
With Frederick and Martin, I hoped that they'd let those fellas work on one position only and not flip-flop from C-->G and G-->C, but Collins is a luxury. It's crazy that they don't give him a shot to replace Free.
That's just it, I think they did give him a shot and he proved he wasn't ready to play RT. It was like fate handed it to him on a platter but he wasn't ready to take it yet. Garrett talked about Green getting healthy enough to push Free, and and never mentioned Collins.

I think the team looked at him and thought "guard".

Leary's auditioning this year, so Collins would have to be Superman to pass him.

Martin's All-Pro, so that's not even in the discussion.

So attrition will decide where he plays in 2015 and in 2016 he's probably a lock at LG, unless they decide to re-sign Leary. Then we might be talking trade or another chance at RT.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's just it, I think they did give him a shot and he proved he wasn't ready to play RT.
From what? Some OTAs with no pads on? I mean shit, if you're going to move the guy from the left side of the line to the right side you at least have to give him some time to adjust. The footwork isn't going to come instantly.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That's just it, I think they did give him a shot and he proved he wasn't ready to play RT. It was like fate handed it to him on a platter but he wasn't ready to take it yet. Garrett talked about Green getting healthy enough to push Free, and and never mentioned Collins.

I think the team looked at him and thought "guard".

Leary's auditioning this year, so Collins would have to be Superman to pass him.

Martin's All-Pro, so that's not even in the discussion.

So attrition will decide where he plays in 2015 and in 2016 he's probably a lock at LG, unless they decide to re-sign Leary. Then we might be talking trade or another chance at RT.
But they tried him at OTAs. A lot of difference when you're hitting in TC.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Ronald Leary is a better than average guard in the NFL. He's limited athletically but he was an undrafted free agent. La'El Collins isn't going to beat out Leary right away, but I fully expect him to be as good if not better by this time next year when Leary is on another team

No chance we give Leary a contract extension when we have Martin and Frederick to re-sign to long-term deals. Only so much money we can put into the OL and you sure as hell know we aren't letting those two go anywhere

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But they tried him at OTAs. A lot of difference when you're hitting in TC.
I don't understand why they are intent on keeping him at guard other than they want their swing tackle to be able to play LT or RT and they don't see Collins as a LT under any circumstances. I was hoping Collins would be the long term RT.

I really like how Collin' presence has made Leary uncomfortable to say the least. This is more than just paying lip service to the term "competition". It's real.

Leary's a solid pro who's long since made all his rookie mistakes. Collins is only beginning to figure out how to be a man in the NFL let alone play guard against competition he's never faced before.

So short of Leary crapping himself in preseason, it's going to be real hard to break into the starting lineup.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Leary is a RFA next year I believe so there's no real chance of losing him, if RT is out of the question for Collins I'd look at trading Leary in the next 12 months.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
In a way, I have thought about simply showcasing Collins in the preseason, and then trading him.
Absolutely not. Leary's balky knees coupled with his impending free agency would make this a terrible move. Leary is a good player that only slid because of health questions. It is not an indictment against Collins if he can't immediately beat him out.

townsend

Banned
Absolutely not. Leary's balky knees coupled with his impending free agency would make this a terrible move. Leary is a good player that only slid because of health questions. It is not an indictment against Collins if he can't immediately beat him out.
Yeah, very few rookies, even top 15 talents, can overtake good starters during their rookie year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Correct. Don't fuck with what is the strength of your team, especially when you have what most likely will be a key cog for cheap for 3-5 years.

Top Bottom