Teacher suspended over test questions

Jiggyfly

Banned
Teacher suspended over test questions about drugs, guns

Associated Press
1 hr ago

MOBILE, Ala. — An Alabama teacher is on leave after giving middle school students a test with math questions about prostitutes, drugs and guns, a school official said Wednesday.

Rena Philips, a spokeswoman for Mobile County's public schools, said the educator from Burns Middle School was placed on administrative leave after a parent complained. The teacher's name isn't being made public, Phillips said.

WALA-TV (http://bit.ly/1RMtKYl ) quoted parent Erica Hall as saying the test was given to her son's eighth-grade language arts class on Friday.

"My son, he took a picture of it in class and he texted it to me. I couldn't believe it," Hall said.

Hall said students thought the quiz was a joke, but the teacher "told them that it wasn't it a joke, and they had to complete it and turn it in."

The 10-question quiz included questions about prostitution, drugs, drive-by shootings and spray paint graffiti. According to WALA, one of the questions was: Leroy has 2 ounces of cocaine. If he sells an eight ball to Antonio for $320 and 2 grams to Juan for $85 per gram, what is the street value of the rest of his hold?"

It was similar to a math quiz that's been on the internet for years with questions about gangs.

Philips said the principal and a school police officer investigated after officials learned of the test Tuesday, and the teacher was placed on leave.

Hall said the teacher is retiring at the end of the school year, but Philips declined comment on details of her job status.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Does anyone support this methodology?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So, he was teaching math?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure about everyone else but I know at my school everyone who had a graphing calculator also had a game on their calculator about selling and dealing drugs to turn a profit... younger generations these days are a bunch of pussies.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm not sure about everyone else but I know at my school everyone who had a graphing calculator also had a game on their calculator about selling and dealing drugs to turn a profit... younger generations these days are a bunch of pussies.
:lol I remember that from the late 80s, think it was called Dopewars

data

Forbes #1
Yes. Drug wars

i also vaguely remember some intergalactic trading game. But stuff for cheap on one planet, buy fuel and go to another planet to sell it for profit. Space pirates and needed to buy guns for protection, too.

Cotton

Staff member
Look at this youngster growing up. We should be so proud.

Cotton

Staff member
Yes. Drug wars

i also vaguely remember some intergalactic trading game. But stuff for cheap on one planet, buy fuel and go to another planet to sell it for profit. Space pirates and needed to buy guns for protection, too.
I remember typing out 9009 and turning the calculator over to make it look like you had spelled boob.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I remember typing out 9009 and turning the calculator over to make it look like you had spelled boob.
Boob had a different connotation in my day. It meant dorky and out of it.

data

Forbes #1
Boob had a different connotation in my day. It meant dorky and out of it.
Speaking of which, what are some popular 40s/50s phrases/slang that are extinct nowadays?

fog in the noggin.

Cotton

Staff member
Speaking of which, what are some popular 40s/50s phrases/slang that are extinct nowadays?

fog in the noggin.
Fair to middlin'.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

fog in the noggin.
Never heard that one but it seems to be the same as shit for brains.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Aren't the parents who complained also pussies, those guys should be from around your time...:unsure

Top Bottom