Cowboys at Bears | Week 14 Gameday Chatter Thread | 12/8/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well, again, this debate started over the fact that there were going to be people who said this was just as much the offense's fault as the defense's.

Which is quite laughable.

Glad you agree then.
Once again you are conflating my argument with someone else's and criticizing the result.

Stick to OUR discussion.

All along I've had two points. The offense wasn't good enough and the head coach wasn't good enough.

Obviously the defense was the biggest problem by far but my point is that's not the end of the discussion.

You can't just say the defense sucked so it doesn't matter what the offense did. Of course it matters.

The offense could have at least kept is in the game, but it didn't. It underperformed.

The funny thing is the obvious subtext of this discussion is whether Garrett is good enough, implying that we measure him by the offenses performance. Yet he's the HEAD coach. I don't see how you could come away from this game feeling remotely good about Garrett. Regardless of which unit you blame.

It's not like you can reasonably say, well the offense did its job, so you can't blame this one on Garrett. He's the head coach. It's not like we ever said, the defense did its job so don't blame Wade.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I know the situation is that I want points before the half since the Bears were getting it to start the third and a drive that featured all runs would have taken way longer than the minute and a half that we had.

You don't have a point then.

When the team goes to a two minute offense trying to score quickly before the half, that is a noted and allowable exception to their game plan and does not constitute giving up on anythingw

It might have, but then it's waving a white flag at getting any points before the half with a minute and a half to go. That's coaching scared and I won't blame a coach for taking a shot at scoring in that situation.

Passing in the two minute offense isn't mis
managing the game.

You are just simply wrong here on all counts. I could just simply restate my points here ad nauseam, but I'm not going to bother. You haven't refuted them with any logic.

Every time I tell the doctors that my kid does something that concerns me, the doctor replies, that's what babies do. That's not an answer.

Saying that's what you do in a 2 minute drill is not an answer, no matter how many times you say it. we had better options in THIS situation than what we chose to do.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
False. It means it's not a valid excuse.

If it didn't stop them against Denver, why should it stop them now?
You're being intentionally obtuse.

Everyone knows that it's a negative for an offense to sit on the sidelines while the opposing offense runs up the time of possession, in that it takes away from your opportunity to get into a rhythm. It's not a guarantee that you'll fail, but it's a negative for sure.

If it didn't stop them against Denver, why should it stop them now? What kind of a retard question is that? It's a completely different game, different environment, different week. You don't put up the same stats every week just cause you did it once, dummy.

It is valid to say that the offense was put at a disadvantage by the defense not being able to get off the field. It limited their chances, and yes, in that weather, they sit there and get cold and tight. It's a disadvantage. Doesn't guarantee that they can't succeed, but it definitely is a reasonable explanation for some of their struggles. It would be the same as if the defense let the other team drive it into our side of the field all day and then pin us deep with punts inside the 5 yard line over and over again. Its not a guarantee that we can't put together multiple 95 yard drives, but it's a serious disadvantage.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Once again you are conflating my argument with someone else's and criticizing the result.

Stick to OUR discussion.
No. This debate started when some people said the defense was just as bad as the offense.

You want to jump into that debate, that's what's gonna get talked about.

All along I've had two points. The offense wasn't good enough and the head coach wasn't good enough.
The point about the offense is also incorrect as far as today went.

The offense could have at least kept is in the game, but it didn't. It underperformed.
Those two sentences are two separate things. Yes, the offense COULD have kept us in the game, just like it did in the Denver game. But keeping us in the game would have been overperforming (it would have had to put up over 40 points).

Putting up 21 through 3 quarters, however, is not underperforming, no matter how much your agenda wants it to be.

The funny thing is the obvious subtext of this discussion is whether Garrett is good enough, implying that we measure him by the offenses performance. Yet he's the HEAD coach. I don't see how you could come away from this game feeling remotely good about Garrett. Regardless of which unit you blame.

It's not like you can reasonably say, well the offense did its job, so you can't blame this one on Garrett. He's the head coach. It's not like we ever said, the defense did its job so don't blame Wade.
Well you are the one turning this into a moratorium on Garrett.... since you do it every week, because you have an agenda to trash him just as much as you claim I have an agenda to defend him.

I'm just saying the offense was not to blame for this loss. If you disagree, you are incorrect and should re-evaluate your position.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are just simply wrong here on all counts. I could just simply restate my points here ad nauseam, but I'm not going to bother. You haven't refuted them with any logic.

Every time I tell the doctors that my kid does something that concerns me, the doctor replies, that's what babies do. That's not an answer.

Saying that's what you do in a 2 minute drill is not an answer, no matter how many times you say it. we had better options in THIS situation than what we chose to do.
As if you've presented logic that it makes sense to run the ball in a two minute drill? That's logic? :lol

I know exactly what your hold up is on this subject. It backfired and the safe thing to do was to run the clock out to protect our defense. Since what Garrett chose to do didn't work, you want to call it mismanagement with the benefit of hindsight.

And you want to do that because your agenda is to criticize every decision of his that doesn't work.

You see coaches every. single. goddamn. week. run a two minute offense by passing, which always runs the risk of giving the ball back to the other team with time left. No logic for any of them either I guess.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Couldn't scratch out one defensive stand against a journeyman QB.

Couldn't get any pressure against a very average OL.

Aaron Rodgers will put up 50 next week.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
But the offense didn't suck. It put up 21 points in the early fourth quarter and was therefore probably on pace for at least an average showing if the defense hadn't put it at such a disadvantage.
The offense didn't suck but Romo and the passing game was highly ineffective.

This game illustrates why Romo shouldn't be paid like Brees, Brady, or Manning. We're in December where every game counts and he only completes 55% of his passes for 104 yards.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This game was not on Garrett or the offense at all...this was on Jerry and the defense. Laughable to try to find anyone or anything else to blame.

1bigfan13

Staff member
As if you've presented logic that it makes sense to run the ball in a two minute drill? That's logic? :lol

I know exactly what your hold up is on this subject. It backfired and the safe thing to do was to run the clock out to protect our defense. Since what Garrett chose to do didn't work, you want to call it mismanagement with the benefit of hindsight.

And you want to do that because your agenda is to criticize every decision of his that doesn't work.

You see coaches every. single. goddamn. week. run a two minute offense by passing, which always runs the risk of giving the ball back to the other team with time left. No logic for any of them either I guess.
I have to agree with Schmitty.

We had about a 1:30 left and a couple of timeouts. Ten times out of ten an NFL coach is going to try to score points on a drive before the half by throwing the ball. Especially since it was apparent that we were going to have to put up a ton of points to win. We needed to try to score on every possession because the defense was nonexistent.

We couldn't afford to have empty possessions. Every possession counted.

IIRC, the field position was fairly decent on the possession as well. It's not like we were backed up inside our own 10. We were around the 35 yard line.

If they kneeled down 3 times to run the clock out I'm pretty sure most would rip them for being spineless quitters.

1bigfan13

Staff member
This game was not on Garrett or the offense at all...this was on Jerry and the defense. Laughable to try to find anyone or anything else to blame.
I agree. I only pointed out Romo because you expect better from your $100M QB in games of this magnitude.

If he'd have thrown for 300 yards we'd have still lost but I'd have felt a little better about the team going forward if the QB actually played well.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have no issue with how Romo played...he played good enough to win.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I have no issue with how Romo played...he played good enough to win.
I didn't see that.

But then again, I checked out midway through the 3rd quarter.

Maybe he picked it up after we were down 3 TDs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
What exactly was your issue with him? He missed Dez into the wind, but outside of that he did his job.

GShock

DCC 4Life
Have we ever had a pass rush as completely non-existent as it was last night?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, it's horrific to score 28 points. :dunce

Meanwhile, the Bears never punted, and you think they are equally to blame. Too funny.
At the time I posted that we had scored only 14 points. The other 14 were garbage.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
When there is a good chance you are going to get 15-20 yards on a run you run the ball with over a minute in the half with all of the timeouts. That was no reason to go away from the run in .......this situation..... They could have been in Chicago side of the field before they were under a minute. No excuse for that crap at all. You have to adjust to the game that you are in.

Offense underperformed in the passing game.. Defense was the worst that I have seen ever. Coaching was horrid all the way around and Jerry can go F himself.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
When there is a good chance you are going to get 15-20 yards on a run you run the ball with over a minute in the half with all of the timeouts. That was no reason to go away from the run in .......this situation..... They could have been in Chicago side of the field before they were under a minute. No excuse for that crap at all. You have to adjust to the game that you are in.

Offense underperformed in the passing game.. Defense was the worst that I have seen ever. Coaching was horrid all the way around and Jerry can go F himself.
Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom