Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at 46

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You could have just said you agreed with me and moved on.

I mostly agreed with you but I do think it's perfectly natural to judge someone for not having the common sense to avoid doing hard drugs in the first place.

To me that is a completely separate thing from having empathy for someone struggling with or overcoming addiction. I don't have first hand experience with that but I do intellectually understand that it's one of the hardest things to do in life.

I do understand that everyone's circumstances are different and there's an obvious difference between getting into a drug addiction when you are like 12 years old because you live in a shit hole ghetto which gives you far less culpability and starting heavy drugs when you are old enough to know better and understand the consequences regardless of circumstances.

Genghis Khan

Keep in mind this discussion is piggy backing off of Philip Seymour Hoffman's apparent OD and I feel safe in assuming that he started his heavy drug habit, for lack of a better term, in a Hollywood kind of way (ie. an adult or young adult decision as part of a fast lifestyle).

Genghis Khan

I have never touched heroin, thank little jesus, but I have hit meth pretty hard at one point in my life. While not nearly as bad, it's still nasty from a recovery standpoint. It ain't easy. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like for heroin users. Stupid to do it... but harder to get off it.
Props for overcoming that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well it's not like anyone in this country just accidentally takes drugs. There has been information about them for at least 50 years in mass. If someone chooses to mess with them then I am compelled to think they are either stupid or missing something in the reasonable intelligence standing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well it's not like anyone in this country just accidentally takes drugs. There has been information about them for at least 50 years in mass. If someone chooses to mess with them then I am compelled to think they are either stupid or missing something in the reasonable intelligence standing.
That sounded like a direct shot at Iamtdg. :unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That sounded like a direct shot at Iamtdg. :unsure
It isn't. It is a general statement about my position on those who know better but think they are exempt from what is inevitable. If I were to make a specific remark it would be directed to the individual who is the subject of this discussion. He was aware of the likely probability of heroin use before he did the first injection but apparently thought it didn't apply to him.

Genghis Khan

Actually it's possible to accidentally take drugs.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Actually it's possible to accidentally take drugs.
I guess it's possible but to me that would be an exception to the rule and even if it happened the individual would surely know it after the fact.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I was a fucking idiot for ever doing any of the drugs I did. You will never hear me defend anyone for doing hard drugs. I'm just fortunate to have survived it. My whole point was one shouldn't judge someone for not being able to get off of them because it ain't easy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I was a fucking idiot for ever doing any of the drugs I did. You will never hear me defend anyone for doing hard drugs. I'm just fortunate to have survived it. My whole point was one shouldn't judge someone for not being able to get off of them because it ain't easy.
I wouldn't judge anyone for getting off but I would for getting on them and staying on them. It would be a bad choice to do so and it would likely take a lot of help getting rehabed but in my opinion one would still have the mental capacity to know they needed to stop. If they didn't choose to try to stop then I would question their intelligence.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
We pass judgment in practically every thread on this board, regardless of topic. Why should this one be any different?

Cotton

Staff member
I wouldn't judge anyone for getting off but I would for getting on them and staying on them. It would be a bad choice to do so and it would likely take a lot of help getting rehabed but in my opinion one would still have the mental capacity to know they needed to stop. If they didn't choose to try to stop then I would question their intelligence.
Kids did it for me. I came to the point where I had to decide if I was going to raise a family or continue going the road I was on. Thankfully, I made the right choice. (and just to be clear, I quit before I had kids)

Cotton

Staff member
We pass judgment in practically every thread on this board, regardless of topic. Why should this one be any different?
Maybe you do, but I'm a saint.

:tippytoe

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Kids did it for me. I came to the point where I had to decide if I was going to raise a family or continue going the road I was on. Thankfully, I made the right choice. (and just to be clear, I quit before I had kids)
I applaud you for your intelligent choice.

D

Deuce

Heard on Today Show this morning a search of his home found 40+ full bags of heroin and over 20 empty bags plus 6 bottles of prescription drugs.

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I know I would love Heroin, which is a big reason I never tried it. I'd be a junkie in no time.

D

Deuce

My wife was given 40 2mg Dilaudid from hospital discharge, but she doesn't want them cause it constipates her.

I guess it's my duty to not let them go to waste. :towel

Carp

DCC 4Life
As an aside...he was great in MI3. One of the colder, bad asser villians in that one.

Top Bottom