Week 10 Gameday Chatter | Cowboys vs. Steelers | 11/13/2016

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
:lol

Thanks, Eli.

Now hopefully these worthless Bengals can get points.

data

Forbes #1
I keep saying for the Bengals to run the ball, but have to remind myself they don't have our OL/Zeke.

Then a pompous chortle and sigh. Poor Bengals.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I really don't want any other NFC East team in the playoffs, but it sure looks like at least one of them will.

data

Forbes #1
That 3-play sequence was more deflating than a turnover. Goodness me oh my

data

Forbes #1
Well, wildcard is better than our preseason expectations, amirite?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Really? You must be watching a different game than everyone else. In the last 2 minutes before the half of the last two games will tell you all you need to know about throwing when they should be running. Horrible management both times.
1st it was the redzone and now it's the 2 minute drill.

We are 4th in the NFL in scoring at 28 ppg, I will take that any day.

What you are missing is that play calling is used to set up things down the line and to go against tendencies that they have sen on film or break tendencies of their own.

I am not saying they are 100% in their play calling but I am saying you have no idea of the thought process behind what they do and give them 0 credit when the empty sets actually work.

This is not a zero sum game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
1st it was the redzone and now it's the 2 minute drill.

We are 4th in the NFL in scoring at 28 ppg, I will take that any day.

What you are missing is that play calling is used to set up things down the line and to go against tendencies that they have sen on film or break tendencies of their own.

I am not saying they are 100% in their play calling but I am saying you have no idea of the thought process behind what they do and give them 0 credit when the empty sets actually work.

This is not a zero sum game.
Yeah I mean I'd like to see us under center more often but at some point it's just sort of nitpicking. We run out of the shotgun with read option stuff so I don't know that a defense is able to assume we won't run simply because Dak is in a shotgun. Half the time we start empty set and then motion Elliott into the backfield.

We run the ball more then any other NFL team. And yet people still complain that we don't run the ball enough. I'd say our coaches are doing better then most of the NFL with that sort of stuff.

dallen

Senior Tech
All that and he didn't even touch the ball in the 2nd quarter.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah I mean I'd like to see us under center more often but at some point it's just sort of nitpicking. We run out of the shotgun with read option stuff so I don't know that a defense is able to assume we won't run simply because Dak is in a shotgun. Half the time we start empty set and then motion Elliott into the backfield.

We run the ball more then any other NFL team. And yet people still complain that we don't run the ball enough. I'd say our coaches are doing better then most of the NFL with that sort of stuff.
It's all about situational awareness.

How does Zeke not touch the ball for the entire 2nd quarter?

Remember when the game was 18-17 or something like that? We convert what should have been a huge 3rd down on a slant to Dez to get us close to the redzone. How do we then call 3 straight plays out of the shotgun with no attempts to run?

That's what I mean. We don't always play to our strengths and it doesn't make sense.

At the very least, give the defense the impression you could run. But when you get down into that part of the field where the threat of running or passing means the most, or you reach certain points in a game where you need to try and outsmart the the other team, it doesn't make sense to come right out and show all of your cards.

We have a tremendous advantage every time the offense takes the field and we need to make the most of it every chance we get, not give the defense a breather for no reason.

dallen

Senior Tech
It's all about situational awareness.

How does Zeke not touch the ball for the entire 2nd quarter?

Remember when the game was 18-17 or something like that? We convert what should have been a huge 3rd down on a slant to Dez to get us close to the redzone. How do we then call 3 straight plays out of the shotgun with no attempts to run?

That's what I mean. We don't always play to our strengths and it doesn't make sense.

At the very least, give the defense the impression you could run. But when you get down into that part of the field where the threat of running or passing means the most, or you reach certain points in a game where you need to try and outsmart the the other team, it doesn't make sense to come right out and show all of your cards.

We have a tremendous advantage every time the offense takes the field and we need to make the most of it every chance we get, not give the defense a breather for no reason.
Exactly, it isn't even about the passes for me. It is that we have a dominant run game, but we don't use the threat of the run to improve our passing game as much as we should. With our running game we should almost never be running empty backfield sets.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Exactly, it isn't even about the passes for me. It is that we have a dominant run game, but we don't use the threat of the run to improve our passing game as much as we should. With our running game we should almost never be running empty backfield sets.
Exactly.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Allergies.

Top Bottom