Dolphins Stuff...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would probably consider a WR, but they would have to be a stud. Treadwell would tempt me, for sure.
Yeah, I'd be all for a WR but it has to be a Dez Bryant/Julio Jones type physical freak. As much as I like Will Fuller for example out of Notre Dame, he just isn't a high first round WR talent.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Might not be the most popular approach, but I'd like to have a 1st round QB sit behind Romo for a year.

It would be the best QB coaching he'd ever get in Dallas.

I don't know any of the hot college QBs, but it's time to address the future of the team while we're still getting production out of the UDFA who fell into our laps 12 years ago.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Might not be the most popular approach, but I'd like to have a 1st round QB sit behind Romo for a year.

It would be the best QB coaching he'd ever get in Dallas.

I don't know any of the hot college QBs, but it's time to address the future of the team while we're still getting production out of the UDFA who fell into our laps 12 years ago.

I agree, and I'll say this. I think it's really important for young Quarterbacks To come into the league And Spend at least a year With A strong veteran quarterback That he can learn from. I think one of the things that is under rated in Romo's early development, is the time he spent With Vinny Testaverde.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Forget that, if there is a decent QB around, I take him for myself .
I don't believe in any of the QB's but if it was a new coaching staff I would be on board.

I don't see anybody else that's better than Tunsil, why not have a stud at bookends for the next 4 years?

I would not normally be advocating this and this is with little idea of who deserves to be top, but initially it seems that Tunsil is a top prospect that would actually fit a need.

Ragland is my pet cat but I think that is too high for him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, we literally would have first round talent at every position on the O-line. One could say that is a little overkill.

If there is a good QB I'd take him in a heartbeat but I'm assuming that Dallas will continue with the "We must put the best cast around Romo" mantra.
Yeah it's overkill but looking at the guys available who is on par as a prospect?

I'm not passing on a pro bowl tackle to take a ok prospect at QB.

Genghis Khan

No way in Hell can we draft another 1st round o-lineman. Trade down in that scenario.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah, I'd be all for a WR but it has to be a Dez Bryant/Julio Jones type physical freak. As much as I like Will Fuller for example out of Notre Dame, he just isn't a high first round WR talent.
I like Fuller more than Treadwell especially coming off that horrible injury.

IMO he is just bigger than the DB's he plays against I don't see a lot that transfers to a great pro receiver.

Would I take him over Williams yes, but I don't believe he is a great pro prospect.

Jiggyfly

Banned
No way in Hell can we draft another 1st round o-lineman. Trade down in that scenario.
Yeah trade down is what I think is ideal but do you take any deal out there just because?

I have 3 other positions I would want to draft in the 1st before a o-linemen but I am not missing out on elite talent to avoid drafting one.

Genghis Khan

Yeah trade down is what I think is ideal but do you take any deal out there just because?

I have 3 other positions I would want to draft in the 1st before a o-linemen but I am not missing out on elite talent to avoid drafting one.
Yes, I take any deal out there just because. Similar to the Frederick deal. Someone will give you something for it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I take any deal out there just because. Similar to the Frederick deal. Someone will give you something for it.
I agree. You don't have to get "chart value" in a trade down for it to be a wise decision. You just simply have to be getting more in return then the talent difference between the player you would take at the current draft position and the player you will take at the new draft position. When we took Fedbeard we got a talent who was similar to the type of talent we would take if we didn't trade down. So essentially we were just getting a free extra pick.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Any deal?

We are talking about a pro bowl level tackle here to take any deal just because you don't want to draft another o-lineman is foolish.

Yeah someone will give you something but what is the difference in talent level.

I am not dropping to the lower teens just because he is a O lineman, Free can be jettisoned with little cap hit and Green is hardly a sure thing.

I really don't understand how drafting somebody of that talent can be easily dismissed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree. You don't have to get "chart value" in a trade down for it to be a wise decision. You just simply have to be getting more in return then the talent difference between the player you would take at the current draft position and the player you will take at the new draft position. When we took Fedbeard we got a talent who was similar to the type of talent we would take if we didn't trade down. So essentially we were just getting a free extra pick.
All of that is true but we are talking about a top 5 talent as opposed to a fringe 1st.

And this is not a vacuum we are talking about a specific draft with specific players.

I am not opposed to trading the pick but I am not selling cheap just because he is a O lineman.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree, and I'll say this. I think it's really important for young Quarterbacks To come into the league And Spend at least a year With A strong veteran quarterback That he can learn from. I think one of the things that is under rated in Romo's early development, is the time he spent With Vinny Testaverde.
And Lee and Palmer. This was huge. Payton and Parcells brought him along in stealth mode otherwise there's no way we're still talking about him today.

Jerry would have either cut him for another baseball player or thrown him to the wolves early on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of that is true but we are talking about a top 5 talent as opposed to a fringe 1st.
I don't know who you consider a fringe first. But unless we are trading down to 30 we aren't getting a fringe first round talent. I guess it also depends on what you think you're getting in Tunsil. Are you getting another Greg Robinson or Taylor Lewan?

Genghis Khan

And Lee and Palmer. This was huge. Payton and Parcells brought him along in stealth mode otherwise there's no way we're still talking about him today.

Jerry would have either cut him for another baseball player or thrown him to the wolves early on.
I agree with all of this but I'm specifically talking about having a good veteran QB on the roster to help the young guy learn how to be a professional. I feel like a lot of teams overlook the importance of that. Which is why I'd like romo's replacement here before Romo is gone.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No doubt. We need a RB, not to mention a safety and LB. If you can't make these guys work at OL you need new coaching.

Genghis Khan

Any deal?

We are talking about a pro bowl level tackle here to take any deal just because you don't want to draft another o-lineman is foolish.

Yeah someone will give you something but what is the difference in talent level.

I am not dropping to the lower teens just because he is a O lineman, Free can be jettisoned with little cap hit and Green is hardly a sure thing.

I really don't understand how drafting somebody of that talent can be easily dismissed.

I just don't think the impact of another offensive lineman would reach the level of a lot of other positions for us.

It's like, if the Colts are picking top 5, they can't take a QB. It doesn't even matter how good the player is. You aren't making your team perceptibly better.

And I'm a huge BPA guy. But at some point you have to weigh the value of a trade down over continually adding resources to a position or unit that doesn't need the help.

And if the guy is THAT good, you'll get a trade offer that makes sense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

And this is not a vacuum we are talking about a specific draft with specific players.

I am not opposed to trading the pick but I am not selling cheap just because he is a O lineman.
Look at guys like Fisher, Joeckyl and Greg Robinson. Playing with fire, especially up there when you are good as is.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Look at guys like Fisher, Joeckyl and Greg Robinson. Playing with fire, especially up there when you are good as is.
That is true.

I just don't see a lot else to get excited about anyway this is all very premature.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I just don't think the impact of another offensive lineman would reach the level of a lot of other positions for us.

It's like, if the Colts are picking top 5, they can't take a QB. It doesn't even matter how good the player is. You aren't making your team perceptibly better.

And I'm a huge BPA guy. But at some point you have to weigh the value of a trade down over continually adding resources to a position or unit that doesn't need the help.

And if the guy is THAT good, you'll get a trade offer that makes sense.
I agree about the position impact and I am no way advocating a T in the 1st just not willing to totally dismiss it.

Top Bottom