Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure, but it certainly makes all the silly superlatives about both of the QBs on the roster seem like hollow horseshit.

Oh well. Watch the season unravel...it is basically what everyone thought whenever the idea of Romo going down was brought up anyways.
Yep that was the creedo. If Romo is hurt the season is over anyway.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Our division sucks...I don't see another team in our division running away with it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I don't necessarily view the move as an indictment of Weeden. Maybe it is to a degree but I also think a big reason they made the trade is insurance.

Insurance in the event of an injury or a total meltdown by Weeden. If one of those two things happens you don't want your only option to be Kellen Moore.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Sure, but it certainly makes all the silly superlatives about both of the QBs on the roster seem like hollow horseshit.

Oh well. Watch the season unravel...it is basically what everyone thought whenever the idea of Romo going down was brought up anyways.
Well yeah, it was hollow horseshit. They sniffed around a couple QBs in the off-season, which tells you all you need to know.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't necessarily view the move as an indictment of Weeden. Maybe it is to a degree but I also think a big reason they made the trade is insurance.

Insurance in the event of an injury or a total meltdown by Weeden. If one of those two things happens you don't want your only option to be Kellen Moore.
All it is is a position that Moore is not anyway near being a backup. Cassell is indeed an insurance policy for Weeden until Romo returns. Simple as that. When Romo returns then a decision will have to be made about who stays and who goes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just wonder how Weeden will respond. I know it is not exactly the best thing to trust him, but he seems like the type that will be worse with more pressure on him.

The other thing this tells me is that they aren't quite as confident as they could be in the run game. There is no reason you add another couple of million for a backup QB if you trust your run game to be your bread and butter.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Well, question is, is it worth trading for Cassell? Because they could have signed Ponder or whomever for free.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All it is is a position that Moore is not anyway near being a backup. Cassell is indeed an insurance policy for Weeden until Romo returns. Simple as that. When Romo returns then a decision will have to be made about who stays and who goes.
Or does he?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Don't start that shit.

And don't call me Bells.
Tis fun sometime to ring the bells. Besides tis true as far as numbers go. Folks on this site have a way of spouting numbers to make a case. Difference being I'm not making a case. :art

Carp

DCC 4Life
Both Cassel and Butler played at USC. W00T

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A 5th for a backup backup is too damn much. It's ridiculous really. The bus driver argument could be applied to Ponder, too. And he could have been had for free. We gave up our 2017 5th rounder for a "just in case". Stupid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, just like I said we would get another Ryan Russel in the fifth.:picard
Oh. Must have been some other guy.

I'd rather have Ryan Russel or Orlando Scandrick then a washed up QB who is here for a year and never plays. Granted there are a lot of misses in the fifth round but there is still a lot of talent left around then.

I'm not making anything up. The Buffalo Bills of all teams thought he looked terrible in camp. If you think a terrible QB is going to improve our chances of winning when he plays in a game I think you're sadly mistaken.
I'm not talking about whatever it is you've been saying about Buffalo. I'm talking about making stuff up when you tried to pass off how I was saying it's likely we win if Cassel has to play. Not even close, but nice try counselor.

Cotton

Staff member
In trade for Matt Cassel, Dallas Cowboys make sure they are covered

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' acquisition of Matt Cassel from the Buffalo Bills is another sign that Jerry Jones is not messing around in 2015.

Jones was crushed after losing Tony Romo to a broken collarbone in Sunday's win against the Philadelphia Eagles because he believes this team has real Super Bowl aspirations. While he and everybody else have expressed confidence in Brandon Weeden, Jones wanted to make sure the Cowboys did everything they could to shore up the quarterback spot after placing Romo on the injured reserve/designated to return list on Tuesday.

They went through a lot of scenarios, short of calling Brett Favre. According to sources, there was a brief conversation with Kyle Orton even though his tenure with the team ended poorly last year when he failed to show up for the offseason work and was threatened to retire. The Cowboys worked out Matt Flynn, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Josh Johnson and Christian Ponder on Tuesday at their Valley Ranch complex.

As the locker room opened to the media in the afternoon, Flynn and Bethel-Thompson were still in the building as the Cowboys were talking with the Bills about a deal for Cassel. The conversations actually started Monday but it did not look like a deal would be completed.

That changed Tuesday afternoon.

The Cowboys will get Cassel and the Bills' seventh round pick in 2017 for their fifth rounder in 2017. Because of previous trades the Cowboys did not have a fifth-, sixth- or seventh-round pick in 2016 to offer up to Buffalo.

Matt Cassel has played in an offense similar to the one the Cowboys run and shouldn't take long to get up to speed. AP Photo/Bill Wipper
The move also comes with a salary-cap crunch as well. Cassel makes $2 million, which is a lot more than the $660,000 Weeden makes, and can earn another $2.15 million in playing time and playoff incentives.

Any other quarterback would have cost far, far less and possibly not offered as much protection in case Weeden gets hurt or does not play well with Romo missing at least the next seven games.

The Cowboys are likely to call up Kellen Moore from the practice squad to have a quarterback more familiar with the offense -- albeit just two weeks more -- as the backup for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

But Cassel has played in a similar system under Norv Turner last year with the Minnesota Vikings and should be able pick things up quick enough.

Cassel has thrown for 15,674 yards with 96 touchdowns and 70 interceptions in his career. After his 10-5 record as Tom Brady's replacement in 2008, he has posted a winning record just once. He went 10-5 in 2010 for the Kansas City Chiefs and was named to the Pro Bowl.

It hasn't been as good for him since, but the Cowboys are not asking him to save their season.

In fact, they hope he never has to take a snap with Weeden performing well enough to keep the Cowboys afloat while Romo recovers.

But if Weeden were to get hurt or play ineffectively, Jones wanted to make sure the hopes he has for this season do not go completely by the wayside.

When Bill Parcells coached the Cowboys, he said teams just can't call up 1-800-QUARTERBACK and get a guy ready to play.

That remains true today, but Cassel has shown he can be effective enough to win games.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In trade for Matt Cassel, Dallas Cowboys make sure they are covered

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' acquisition of Matt Cassel from the Buffalo Bills is another sign that Jerry Jones is not messing around in 2015.

Jones was crushed after losing Tony Romo to a broken collarbone in Sunday's win against the Philadelphia Eagles because he believes this team has real Super Bowl aspirations. While he and everybody else have expressed confidence in Brandon Weeden, Jones wanted to make sure the Cowboys did everything they could to shore up the quarterback spot after placing Romo on the injured reserve/designated to return list on Tuesday.

They went through a lot of scenarios, short of calling Brett Favre. According to sources, there was a brief conversation with Kyle Orton even though his tenure with the team ended poorly last year when he failed to show up for the offseason work and was threatened to retire. The Cowboys worked out Matt Flynn, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, Josh Johnson and Christian Ponder on Tuesday at their Valley Ranch complex.

As the locker room opened to the media in the afternoon, Flynn and Bethel-Thompson were still in the building as the Cowboys were talking with the Bills about a deal for Cassel. The conversations actually started Monday but it did not look like a deal would be completed.

That changed Tuesday afternoon.

The Cowboys will get Cassel and the Bills' seventh round pick in 2017 for their fifth rounder in 2017. Because of previous trades the Cowboys did not have a fifth-, sixth- or seventh-round pick in 2016 to offer up to Buffalo.

Matt Cassel has played in an offense similar to the one the Cowboys run and shouldn't take long to get up to speed. AP Photo/Bill Wipper
The move also comes with a salary-cap crunch as well. Cassel makes $2 million, which is a lot more than the $660,000 Weeden makes, and can earn another $2.15 million in playing time and playoff incentives.

Any other quarterback would have cost far, far less and possibly not offered as much protection in case Weeden gets hurt or does not play well with Romo missing at least the next seven games.

The Cowboys are likely to call up Kellen Moore from the practice squad to have a quarterback more familiar with the offense -- albeit just two weeks more -- as the backup for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

But Cassel has played in a similar system under Norv Turner last year with the Minnesota Vikings and should be able pick things up quick enough.

Cassel has thrown for 15,674 yards with 96 touchdowns and 70 interceptions in his career. After his 10-5 record as Tom Brady's replacement in 2008, he has posted a winning record just once. He went 10-5 in 2010 for the Kansas City Chiefs and was named to the Pro Bowl.

It hasn't been as good for him since, but the Cowboys are not asking him to save their season.

In fact, they hope he never has to take a snap with Weeden performing well enough to keep the Cowboys afloat while Romo recovers.

But if Weeden were to get hurt or play ineffectively, Jones wanted to make sure the hopes he has for this season do not go completely by the wayside.

When Bill Parcells coached the Cowboys, he said teams just can't call up 1-800-QUARTERBACK and get a guy ready to play.

That remains true today, but Cassel has shown he can be effective enough to win games.
This sounds like Cassell is a back up to me.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Top Bottom