Cowboys trade for Bills QB Matt Cassel

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He looked terrible? Not from what I understand. He was 6 for 7 for 38 in their 3rd preseason game against Pittsburgh, for instance.

While it's not setting the world on fire, it's a far cry from terrible.
Yeah, the reports from Bills camp were that he was looking like the worst of the 3 as a passer. I didn't watch the third preseason game but 5 ypa is pretty bad for a QB.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I'd rather have Ryan Russel or Orlando Scandrick then a washed up QB who is here for a year and never plays. Granted there are a lot of misses in the fifth round but there is still a lot of talent left around then.
Understand the logic, but if Matt Cassell is what we need as an emergency in a season that we could potentially make the playoffs I would trade the 5th round pick in a heartbeat.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manuel, Cassel as starting QB
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer
August 31, 2015 12:09 pm ET

The Bills continue to be one of the most interesting teams in the NFL this offseason. Even when they don't have a quarterback, it's still a battle worth watching. And it's a battle apparently won by Tyrod Taylor.

THE LATEST FROM SPORTSLINE
Week 1 NFL Picks
The Bills made it official Monday, making Taylor the Week 1 starter for the Bills.

This might not be entirely shocking. Matt Cassel, acquired from the Vikings this offseason, has been pretty terrible for Buffalo so far in training camp (although he has completed 86.7 percent of his passes in the preseason!).

EJ Manuel hasn't been much better and essentially set things up for the Bills to either gamble on Taylor or play it really safe on Cassel.

Rex Ryan isn't a play-it-safe guy and it's clear he's willing to let Taylor, who has looked sharp running and throwing in the preseason, try and become one of the biggest surprises of the 2015 NFL season by winning the job and elevating the Bills offense.

The Bills aren't going to hang their hat on Taylor; this is a team that's built on defense and running the ball. If those two aspects of Buffalo's game are above average, Taylor can be a caretaker who makes plays with his feet and doesn't snuff out drives unnecessarily.

And if he's capable of doing that the Bills could become a dangerous team.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Understand the logic, but if Matt Cassell is what we need as an emergency in a season that we could potentially make the playoffs I would trade the 5th round pick in a heartbeat.
Matt Cassel is terrible. Whatever he had 8 years ago with the Patriots is long gone.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd rather have Ryan Russel or Orlando Scandrick then a washed up QB who is here for a year and never plays. Granted there are a lot of misses in the fifth round but there is still a lot of talent left around then.
:lol

People always dig up a player that made it when lamenting a late round pick. He's an insurance policy. If he has to play and we manage to win the game he plays, it was a pick well spent. Even if it means we missed out on the slim chance of drafting the next Ryan Russell.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You guys remember when we traded that 6th rounder for Terry Glenn? Man, we could have had the next Tom Brady.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You could also get a Joseph Randle in the 5th round. Wouldnt want to miss that...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

People always dig up a player that made it when lamenting a late round pick. He's an insurance policy. If he has to play and we manage to win the game he plays, it was a pick well spent. Even if it means we missed out on the slim chance of drafting the next Ryan Russell.
When you say it like this it makes it sound like he is likely to win a game he plays in. He isn't. He is a really bad QB. Odds are if he is required to play in a game, we not only lose the game but also lose the fifth round pick. So yeah, I'd rather have a shot at a player who could be good.

The Texans gave up a 7th for Ryan Mallett. We got hosed out of desperation. If I'm giving up a fifth I should be getting someone like a Mike Glennon at least.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
When you say it like this it makes it sound like he is likely to win a game he plays in. He isn't. He is a really bad QB. Odds are if he is required to play in a game, we not only lose the game but also lose the fifth round pick. So yeah, I'd rather have a shot at a player who could be good.
You don't know this. It's all speculation on your part. And how did I make it sound likely he wins. If he has to play and we manage to win... Yeah, that sure looks like I'm making it sound likely. :rolleyes

If you want to play pretend and also make stuff up, I'm out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't know this. It's all speculation on your part. And how did I make it sound likely he wins. If he has to play and we manage to win... Yeah, that sure looks like I'm making it sound likely. :rolleyes

If you want to play pretend and also make stuff up, I'm out.
Yeah, just like I said we would get another Ryan Russel in the fifth.:picard

I'm not making anything up. The Buffalo Bills of all teams thought he looked terrible in camp. If you think a terrible QB is going to improve our chances of winning when he plays in a game I think you're sadly mistaken.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Makes that garbage talk about Weeden over the past few months seem like total horseshit.

But most of us knew that, so...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sherrington: Signing Cassel more proof Cowboys are all in for 2015; will he eventually beat out Weeden?

Kevin Sherrington Follow @KSherringtonDMN ksherrington@dallasnews.com

Published: 22 September 2015 07:06 PM

Updated: 22 September 2015 07:10 PM

Once Matt Cassel gets the playbook under him, he'll fit right in with the Cowboys' idea of a quarterback.

Old, that is.

Tony Romo is 35, Cassel is 33 and Brandon Weeden, the kid, will be 32 next month.

What this tells you is the Cowboys are all in for this season, despite an injury to Romo that will knock him out at least until the Miami game on Nov. 22. Cassel, who will supplant Kellen Moore once he's comfortable calling plays, will provide insurance for Weeden. Might even eventually beat him out.

Certainly there's no argument here with acquiring a guy with experience in a deal that includes an exchange of draft picks, too. Cassel has started 71 games, nearly four times Weeden's total. He was also a contender in Buffalo before losing out to Tyrod Taylor, a former sixth-round pick by Baltimore who turned into a find this summer.

Either your back-up needs to be a veteran with a lot of starts under his belt, or a kid you're developing. Weeden doesn't really fit either model.

Jason Garrett would argue that Taylor, the kid who beat out Cassel in Buffalo, is an indictment of drafting quarterbacks and developing them. Baltimore used the pick and spent the time, and now Buffalo gets the benefit.

The counterpoint: Green Bay, which has a history of drafting, developing and peddling quarterbacks, sometimes for multiple picks.

Pretty good investment plan, if you ask me.

Over Jerry Jones' quarter-century of ownership, he's drafted four quarterbacks, two in his very first year in charge of socks and jocks: Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh, who came in the supplemental draft.

Since then, it's been Bill Musgrave (fourth round, in '91), Quincy Carter (second, 2001) and Stephen McGee (fourth, '09).

Given the history since Aikman, maybe you could see why Jerry isn't crazy about spending draft picks on quarterbacks. Romo was a free agent, right? And an all-time find, too.

Still, it's time for Jerry to take some of the drafting acumen his organization has shown lately and use it on a quarterback. Romo's time is running out, as we saw again Sunday, and it's past time for the Cowboys to start planning a future without him.

Because, if you count Jameill Showers, the Cowboys own five quarterbacks, and there may not be not enough future in all of them put together to outlast the owner.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is the second time a team has given up a perfectly good draft pick for a guy that is not good enough to start. :lol

QBing in this league is so pathetic.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Yeah, the reports from Bills camp were that he was looking like the worst of the 3 as a passer. I didn't watch the third preseason game but 5 ypa is pretty bad for a QB.
5.4 actually. And, he's a career 6.6 which isn't great but isn't terrible and I'd expect him to be in that range if he plays for us.

He's also a career 96 - 70 TD to int, which is pretty good, and 80.1 rating.

He's not a terrible backup.

We're not even losing a pick, just trading down late in the draft.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
5.4 actually. And, he's a career 6.6 which isn't great but isn't terrible and I'd expect him to be in that range if he plays for us.

Hello Bells Aikman didn't do any better at QB ratings. :art

Carp

DCC 4Life
Can they play QB?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Sure, but it certainly makes all the silly superlatives about both of the QBs on the roster seem like hollow horseshit.

Oh well. Watch the season unravel...it is basically what everyone thought whenever the idea of Romo going down was brought up anyways.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He did well for himself when he was surrounded by talent and just asked to be a bus driver. He can do that here, but hopefully Weeden does enough where we don't have to use him.

Top Bottom