Marinelli new DC/Kiffin Ass. HC - Defense

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really mind this much but yes, it is just another example of the dysfunction within this organization. Marinelli will probably do a very good job if we give him the personnel and I'm sure Kiffin can contribute in various ways, perhaps with identifying talent in the draft and free agency.

data

Forbes #1
Marinelli could get this defense to be the 15th worst in NFL history and look like a hero.

How easy is that?

Just call "punt rush" every play.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
definitely dysfunctional but i support this move. We were the worst defense in football, so we can only go up from here. Plus with the shit we threw out there on the DL every day, I think this will at least get us one more exciting pass rusher to add in the first 2 rounds

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
But if the net effect is that Kiffin is a defensive figurehead resigned to eating nachos up in the press box and Marinelli is the real coordinator, I'm willing to give it a shot.
Eating nachos or being spoonfed Cream of Wheat by his personal nurse?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
definitely dysfunctional but i support this move. We were the worst defense in football, so we can only go up from here. Plus with the shit we threw out there on the DL every day, I think this will at least get us one more exciting pass rusher to add in the first 2 rounds
It's only dysfunctional if you assume that Kiffin didn't want this to happen. On the other hand if it is just an old man who wants to take a step back from coaching but not totally leave the game then it makes perfect sense and isn't dysfunctional at all.

I never understood why Marinelli was taking a defensive line coach position in the first place. The guy is a kick ass defensive coordinator. His last year with the Bears as a defensive coordinator the Bears were 5th in the NFL in defense. This past year without Marinelli the Bears defense dropped to 30th in the NFL. Now part of that has to do with players and injuries but Marinelli has always been a great defensive coach who I think most of us would have been thrilled if he was hired as our defensive coordinator last offseason.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
You know how Jerry Jones likes to try and copy the successes of other people... well, with all of these new coaches on board, it looks like he (or Garrett) may be taking a page out of Chip Kelly's book. The Eagles literally micromanage every position, even down to the position coaches sending in the signals to their own players, in order to save as much time as possible. It's no secret that Garrett wants to run an up-tempo offense... so monkey is as monkey does.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You know how Jerry Jones likes to try and copy the successes of other people... well, with all of these new coaches on board, it looks like he (or Garrett) may be taking a page out of Chip Kelly's book. The Eagles literally micromanage every position, even down to the position coaches sending in the signals to their own players, in order to save as much time as possible. It's no secret that Garrett wants to run an up-tempo offense... so monkey is as monkey does.
So this type of organization structure isn't unique to Dallas?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I like it. We get a Kiffin protege who is young and did something recent in Chicago and I bet Merinelli has something to say about the draft. Dude's too mean not too..

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
So this type of organization structure isn't unique to Dallas?
Well, I was more referencing the coaching structure, but where the Cowboys (always) fail is the implementing of said structure. It's like a Japanese movie dubbed into English... all the words are there, it's just that they're not quite in sync.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I like it. We get a Kiffin protege who is young and did something recent in Chicago and I bet Merinelli has something to say about the draft. Dude's too mean not too..

:lol "Young."

I guess compared to Kiffin, everyone is young. But Marinelli is 64. Not young.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
What planet are you from?

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
What planet are you from?
Oops... when I was writing that I was going to say "stupid is as stupid does", but given how Kelly clearly out coached our wunderkid, that saying was not entirely accurate. So I attempted to go with "monkey see monkey do", and I guess something went sideways in my brain that it resulted in, well that. :lol

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Oops... when I was writing that I was going to say "stupid is as stupid does", but given how Kelly clearly out coached our wunderkid, that saying was not entirely accurate. So I attempted to go with "monkey see monkey do", and I guess something went sideways in my brain that it resulted in, well that. :lol
:lol

Speaking strictly of your idea, I'm not sure I disagree with that approach. When we were implementing the Tampa 2 I wanted us to hire more experienced coaches in the scheme especially those with experience coordinating it. I wouldn't have minded a clearer voice drilling in the coverage responsibilities of a zone heavy scheme.

Top Bottom