QB Controversy Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol

Actually it wouldn't. QBs learn by sitting and watching much better than they do being thrown into the fire. It's just that these days teams claim they don't have the luxury of letting high picks sit.

We do have that luxury.
Yep. A few years back the standard approach for development was to be the clipboard guy for 2 to 3 years before that did any serious playing time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Nothing is dying down. Dak could be 5-1, Romo is getting his job back.
I think this also. It's not a preference issue it's an organizational approach to go through to make further decions.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Actually it wouldn't. QBs learn by sitting and watching much better than they do being thrown into the fire. It's just that these days teams claim they don't have the luxury of letting high picks sit.

We do have that luxury.
There's a highly debatable point delivered as fact. It all depends on the QB and the team. You can't generalize like that because there are many examples on both sides of the argument.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
There's a highly debatable point delivered as fact. It all depends on the QB and the team. You can't generalize like that because there are many examples on both sides of the argument.
The salary cap changed all that but the prior system worked well.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Yep. A few years back the standard approach for development was to be the clipboard guy for 2 to 3 years before that did any serious playing time.
But that's the outdated, old-school way of thinking.

Most of today's QBs have been in specialized QB camps and training regimes since the age of 12. And on top of that, many of those guys have been running semi-sophisticated passing schemes since high school.

So the QBs of today are better prepared to contribute and play immediately than the QBs that came along 15+ years ago.

That's an undeniable fact.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Most of today's QBs have been in specialized QB camps and training regimes since the age of 12. And on top of that, many of those guys have been running semi-sophisticated passing schemes since high school.

So the QBs of today are better prepared to contribute and play immediately than the QBs that came along 15+ years ago.

Yep.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

No doubt about it.

And the way contracts are structured, you need QB's to play right away either as starter (rounds 1-3) or primary backup (rounds 4+).

No more burying a drafted QB as the 3rd QB on the roster, because that guy will be a FA before you know it and you'll have gotten nothing for all your developmental reps.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

B
Maybe so but that isn't my point. I am saying that it does no harm to a QB back up to not play immediately. The original concern by some was there may harm to a candidate to not allow them to play immediately or interrupt their progress. I am saying that is not a big issue to the player. They may well be better prepared to start as rookies but not playing wont hurt them.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I just want to know what the excuses will be when Romo comes back and we go on a losing streak due to him "shaking off the rust".

That is if he even finishes his game back.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I just want to know what the excuses will be when Romo comes back and we go on a losing streak due to him "shaking off the rust".

That's what everyone wants to know especially the organization. It's going to happen to get the answer the question of whether Romo is kaput or still has gas in the tank.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We do have that luxury.
That's stupid, you get better by playing football. When you're in a good situation the best way to learn is by playing. Honestly I think anybody who has ever played football would tell you that. The only time it's not beneficial to play is when the offense sucks and you'll get your teeth kicked in.

townsend

Banned
That's stupid, you get better by playing football. When you're in a good situation the best way to learn is by playing. Honestly I think anybody who has ever played football would tell you that. The only time it's not beneficial to play is when the offense sucks and you'll get your teeth kicked in.
It seems like it's good for a lot of young QBs to have a period to sit and watch while they get more comfortable with the playbook and get a feel for the speed of the NFL, I think a lot of young players get thrown to the wolves and can lose their confidence.

But Dak is so far past that, he's on par with Wentz performance wise. I gotta wonder how much of the willingness to bench Dak is coming from his draft pedigree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like it's good for a lot of young QBs to have a period to sit and watch while they get more comfortable with the playbook and get a feel for the speed of the NFL, I think a lot of young players get thrown to the wolves and can lose their confidence.

But Dak is so far past that, he's on par with Wentz performance wise. I gotta wonder how much of the willingness to bench Dak is coming from his draft pedigree.
If Dak looked lost sitting would make sense. Now it will only slow him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

He just went 12-4 and 3-1 in back to back years... kind of consistent I'd say.

We've been fortunate thus far to have played some of the dregs of the NFL... and injured dregs at that.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Brady (who has played longer than Romo) came back and lit it up for 3TDs and 406 yds. Color me stunned. He should be washed up and stuff.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brady (who has played longer than Romo) came back and lit it up for 3TDs and 406 yds. Color me stunned. He should be washed up and stuff.
He is better than Romo and has a great staff around him.

Top Bottom