Archer: Dallas Cowboys defense excelled in simplest form

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys defense excelled in simplest form

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA -- To Rod Marinelli, there was nothing magical about the Dallas Cowboys' defensive performance Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles.

"I just think we played our defense," the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator said. "We didn't do anything special. We just try to line up, get lined up No. 1 and be on our keys and then we try to play really fast and really hard and tackle well."

Playing fundamentally sound does not sound juicy when you hold DeMarco Murray to 2 yards on 13 carries. In Cowboys' history only Ottis Anderson had a worse yard-per-carry average among opposing running backs with at least 10 carries. On Nov. 4, 1985, he carried 11 times for minus-10 yards.

Reading keys and playing fast doesn't sound juicy when you hold the Eagles to 7 yards rushing on 17 carries and give up one first down and 21 yards in the first half. The Eagles' only first-half first down came on a Dallas penalty.

There had to be something special to make the Eagles look so helpless.

"We just did our jobs," defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence said. "Everybody played as one. One defense. We played together, played our gaps, disciplined in our assignments. We just did a great job of doing our job."

The Eagles converted only just two of 11 third-down chances. Seven of their 11 drives were three plays or less. Only three were more than four plays.

Sam Bradford completed 23 of 37 passes for 224 yards and was intercepted twice before he threw a touchdown pass with 1:21 left to play. He was sacked only once.

"I thought we were pretty physical and fast," Marinelli said. "When you know what you're doing, you've got a chance to play fast. That's our whole team. We're simple and we try to use our speed."

Physical and fast doesn't sound strategic, but it was what worked. And it's what Marinelli's defense is about.

"Well we care about running to the football, causing turnovers and playing the right way," said Sean Lee, who had one of the Cowboys' two interceptions, picking off a Bradford pass in the end zone on the series after Tony Romo went down. "That's all we're going to focus on. We're not worried about too many stats. We're worried about doing our job every time and causing turnovers, and that's what we did today and I think that's why we got a win."

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd like to see more pressure on the QB.

You might get away with that shit they rolled out on Sunday against guys like Bradford and the "new" Eli....but guys like Rodgers and Brady will eat that D up without some pressure.

Hopefully, getting Hardy, Gregory, and McClain back will help fix that.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Playing fundamentally sound does not sound juicy when you hold DeMarco Murray to 2 yards on 13 carries. In Cowboys' history only Ottis Anderson had a worse yard-per-carry average among opposing running backs with at least 10 carries. On Nov. 4, 1985, he carried 11 times for minus-10 yards.
This is an amazing stat when you think about it.

It's also pretty amazing what a defense can do when it is sound in their scheme and tackles well, which is usually the difference when things are generally equal. And I'm not worried about the pass rush at all, we've gotten pretty consistent penetration and pressure on QB's, we just haven't gotten the sack numbers, and that's without probably our 2 best pass-rushing DE's.

Once Gregory and Hardy are back I think you will see a spike in the sack numbers. Lawrence in particular will be a very solid strongside DE, a guy who plays the run really well, but also a guy who probably only gets you about 6 sacks a year.

dallen

Senior Tech

You might get away with that shit they rolled out on Sunday against guys like Bradford and the "new" Eli....but guys like Rodgers and Brady will eat that D up without some pressure.

Yes, hopefully getting our 2 best pass rushers back will help the pass rush... :unsure

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I think the Eagles were under more pressure than was obvious. Bradford had a hard time looking downfield and they seemed to be going with short drops and quick passes

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Eagles were under more pressure than was obvious. Bradford had a hard time looking downfield and they seemed to be going with short drops and quick passes
That's the problem. It's hard to quantify a pass rush when you aren't getting sacks. If it's forcing the QB to do all three step drops it is still extremely useful. I also think against the Eagles we were stressing lane assignment to a far greater extent then pass rush. Meaning sometimes you can generate a greater pass rush by having a DE spin inside or stunt with your D-lineman and things like that. Against a team like the Eagles that can be a horrible mistake. Especially against their running game. So to an extent I think our D-line was focused on stopping the run first.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's the problem. It's hard to quantify a pass rush when you aren't getting sacks. If it's forcing the QB to do all three step drops it is still extremely useful. I also think against the Eagles we were stressing lane assignment to a far greater extent then pass rush. Meaning sometimes you can generate a greater pass rush by having a DE spin inside or stunt with your D-lineman and things like that. Against a team like the Eagles that can be a horrible mistake. Especially against their running game. So to an extent I think our D-line was focused on stopping the run first.
That's what I observed as well.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Expect a 180 this week.
I think so as well. The biggest weapon Atlanta has is Jones. I am of the opinion he cannot be covered by Dallas or any other secondary. The alternative is to put constant pressure on Ryan.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think so as well. The biggest weapon Atlanta has is Jones. I am of the opinion he cannot be covered by Dallas or any other secondary. The alternative is to put constant pressure on Ryan.
No WR can deal with double coverage for long. Other targets must contribute.

The best DC's negate the opposing teams biggest weapon. Belichick is famous for it and Rex Ryan does it all the time. Marinelli needs to evolve to this next stage and soon.

Top Bottom