The Suspensions Thread...

Carp

DCC 4Life
Someone spiked his drink...blah blah blah. Just take responsibility for what you did wrong. I'm wondering just what Welker is going to do so no one goes through this again.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Someone spiked his drink...blah blah blah. Just take responsibility for what you did wrong. I'm wondering just what Welker is going to do so no one goes through this again.
Yeah. Interested in what he is going to do, too.

Josh Gordon claimes something similar in the latest infraction. He was told that you are responsible for what goes in your body. As if they are going to change their minds now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are different areas to the league's drug testing policy. Performance enhancing is one. Illicit drugs is another. Until MDMA and pot is no longer illegal, it will be banned by the league.
Illegal everywhere? Just some places? You're going to have to be more specific considering the changes with regards to marijuana.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Illegal everywhere? Just some places? You're going to have to be more specific considering the changes with regards to marijuana.
I think that's already been addressed. Marijuana is legal in Colorado and Washington. But not federally, so the league has already issued a statement that it's still on the banned list. If it's ever declared legal across the country, I'm sure we'll see it taken off the NFL's banned substance list.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Yes [MENTION=14]NoDak[/MENTION]...please specify for the lawyer...and pick up his dry cleaning too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
At least Scandrick was like, duh, I fucked up. I respect that a lot more.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They need to really concentrate on HGH, but you notice how that has dragged along for two years already.

I think the NFL is giving the middle finger to the NFLPA by punishing more and more casual drug users, trying to force a bargain.

Lowered recreational drug limits in exchange for HGH testing to begin.

To me, that makes the most sense.

Cotton

Staff member
Source: NFL, NFLPA very close on a new drug testing program

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT

Maybe John McCain knew something when he wrote his letter urging the NFL and the NFLPA to come to an agreement on hGH testing. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league and the union currently are “very close” to striking a comprehensive agreement on drug testing, which will include hGH testing.

The lack of an agreement on blood testing for hGH had delayed the implementation of other terms on which the two sides agreed, including the potential shift of substances like amphetamines from the PED policy to the substance-abuse policy.

The hGH testing agreement is expected to grant an independent arbitrator the authority to resolve appeals of positive tests. The last major sticking point related to the question of whether the Commissioner or an independent arbitrator will handle the appeals of discipline imposed for violations unrelated to a positive test.

An agreement doesn’t mean hGH testing will start any time soon. First, a population study must be conducted to determine the naturally-occurred hGH levels in professional football players.

D

Deuce

I think that's already been addressed. Marijuana is legal in Colorado and Washington. But not federally, so the league has already issued a statement that it's still on the banned list. If it's ever declared legal across the country, I'm sure we'll see it taken off the NFL's banned substance list.
I still doubt it would be. Adderall is legal with a script yet these guys can't take it cause it's an amphetamine.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I still doubt it would be. Adderall is legal with a script yet these guys can't take it cause it's an amphetamine.
Is ADHD a thing in the NFL? I thought that was a kid thing.

D

Deuce

Is ADHD a thing in the NFL? I thought that was a kid thing.
Adults can have ADHD and you would think someone who truly has it would have a hard time in the NFL between film sessions and studying the playbook.

But it's also vastly over diagnosed and most people who have it don't really have it.

Cotton

Staff member
A new drug testing agreement could benefit Welker, Gordon

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 4, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT

Broncos receiver Wes Welker is suspended for the first four games of the season, and Browns receiver Josh Gordon is suspended for the entire season. Both players have already appealed, and lost.

And yet there’s a chance that both players could still see their suspensions reduced.

As Mike Florio reported on NBC, Welker, Gordon and potentially other players in the midst of suspensions could benefit from a new drug testing policy that the owners and players could agree upon soon.

The new policy that may be forthcoming has received attention primarily because it would include testing for human growth hormone, which has never before been tested in the NFL. But the policy would also have some other changes.

One change is that offseason use of amphetamines would move from the performance-enhancing substance policy to the substance-abuse policy. That would mean that Welker would switch from a first-time offender in the PED policy (which carries an automatic four-game suspension) to a first-time offender in the substance-abuse policy (which carries no suspension).

Another change is that the threshold to trigger a positive result on a marijuana test would rise. That would affect Gordon because his positive marijuana test was just barely above the NFL’s current threshold for a positive, which is significantly lower than the threshold for other organizations like the World Anti-Doping Agency.

If the NFL changes its policy and agrees to apply it retroactively to players who tested positive this year, Welker and Gordon would benefit. Which means that while the players’ union is stopping short of saying an agreement is very close, Welker and Gordon would be wise to call their union representatives and urge them to get the deal done, and get it done soon.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Seems like they can use amphetamines now...I don't like that...to me that is a very clear performance enhancer.

Cotton

Staff member
Seems like they can use amphetamines now...I don't like that...to me that is a very clear performance enhancer.
I can't imagine how it would be in the offseason.

D

Deuce

It wouldn't be a problem if they tested for levels. Someone prescribed Adderall would test positive, but if they follow the prescribed amount it wouldn't be high. People abusing it or using harder substances would be obvious.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It wouldn't be a problem if they tested for levels. Someone prescribed Adderall would test positive, but if they follow the prescribed amount it wouldn't be high. People abusing it or using harder substances would be obvious.
If it was prescribed, fine...otherwise using amphetamines should not be allowed.

Top Bottom