George: Marinelli impressed with new practice squad DE Michael Sam

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys DC Rod Marinelli impressed with new practice squad DE Michael Sam
By Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George bgeorge@dallasnews.com
5:44 pm on September 4, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING — A day after facing a swarm of media, new Dallas Cowboys practice squad defensive end Michael Sam was back on the field Thursday at Valley Ranch.

Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL, had three sacks and 11 tackles in the preseason for St. Louis before he was cut last weekend.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said he’s impressed with Sam.

“He’s got quickness and movement,” Marinelli said. “The guy is very passionate about what he’s doing and I really like that about him. But now it’s just developing a guy over and over every day. Now it’s just starting to get the feel of how it is to really come off the ball, things that you want. The movement is good.”

Marinelli said he fits the Cowboys’ Tampa 2 scheme “fine.”

“As a defensive end, you’re looking for that elite speed and quickness,” Marinelli said. “It always doesn’t show early because guys get confused in what they’re trying to do, and practice squad guys are working against our offense, so he doesn’t get as many reps with what you want to do. It’s just a process.”

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Of course, someone gave me this gay avatar so who am I to talk? :tippytoe

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL,
I wonder how long they'll continue writing this in Every. Single. Article.

Is there anybody in the free world that doesn't know by now about Michael Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't understand. All Sam ever does is make plays, but the best he can do is make the practice squad of the team with the NFL's worst defensive front.

D

Deuce

Well, he said he wanted "gay it up" and that is Cowboys related.

~snicker~

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't understand. All Sam ever does is make plays, but the best he can do is make the practice squad of the team with the NFL's worst defensive front.
He was also thought of as a 4th or 5th round pick that nearly went undrafted, teams don't want to deal with unnecessary distractions.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Marinelli is already calling someone Golden Cock. What's his nickname for Michael Sam?

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Its 6 AM but im still laughing at that article and how gay it sounds

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said he’s impressed with Sam.
The practice squad guy off the street impresses Marinelli, meanwhile the "elite" 6th pick of the 2012 draft is "there".

That's encouraging.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The practice squad guy off the street impresses Marinelli, meanwhile the "elite" 6th pick of the 2012 draft is "there".

That's encouraging.
Not saying this is the case but Marinelli could be attempting to motivate the former 6th pick. Parcells use to do that shit all the time.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Heaven forbid this guy EVER takes the field and makes a play. There will be no end to it.

Top Bottom