Texts between Martin and Incognito finally surface

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Texts between Martin and Incognito finally surface[/h] Posted by Mike Florio on February 3, 2014, 9:14 PM EST

With the Ted Wells report expected to be released later this week, someone finally has leaked to the media the text messages exchanged over a period of months between Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito.

Presumably, the leak came from Incognito or someone close to him, because the text messages tend to support the notion that Incognito and Martin were friends. Moreover, nothing in the Incognito text messages suggests harassment or bullying of Incognito.

The Big Lead had gotten the goods, and I’ve taken a look through them all. The major takeaways appear below:

1. Incognito accuses Martin of being gay in multiple text messages. It’s difficult to tell whether Incognito is joking, or whether he believed Martin to be gay. Martin’s actual or perceived sexuality has been a lingering (but largely unspoken) explanation for the decision of Dolphins players to allegedly single him out. After reading all of the message, it appears Incognito is joking about Martin being gay.

2. Martin declines to pay $6,000 for a trip to Las Vegas, but Incognito seems to be fine with it. “It’s all good,” Incognito says. “Let me know if u need anything.”

3. At the time left tackle Jake Long chose to sign with the Rams over the Dolphins, Incognito texted that former G.M. Jeff Ireland “didn’t make him feel welcome.” (That’s unrelated to the Martin-Incognito case, but it helps explain why Long took a lesser deal to go to St. Louis.)

4. At one point, Incognito asks Martin if Martin went to Mike Pouncey’s house after going to a bar. Martin says he didn’t, saying “No drugs for me rest of season.” That comment could attract the NFL’s attention on the question of whether multiple members of the team had engaged in illegal use of drugs, recreational or otherwise.

5. The messages reflect a genuine friendship, even after Martin left the team in late October. Incognito repeatedly reached out to Martin following his exit, culminating with this message on October 29, the day after Martin exited the locker room: “What’s up dude Glad to hear Ur ok I’m here if you ever need to talk. I’ve been through enough sh-t myself to understand.”

Several hours later, Incognito texts, “I miss Ur stinky armpits.” On November 1 (three days later), Incognito texts, “How u doing buddy? Feeling better?? I miss us.”
Martin promptly responds, saying: “Wassup man? The worlds gone crazy lol I’m good tho congrats on the win.”

Says Incognito in response, two minutes later: “Thanks dude It’s unbelievable all the attention this is getting. All that’s important is that you feel better and know we miss u dude.”

Says Martin, that same minute: “Yeah I’m good man. It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little. Btw… Never check yourself into a mental hospital.”

Incognito responds two minutes later, acknowledging that he once indeed checked himself in to a mental-health facility: “I hear ya It’s a lot to take in I’ve checked myself in before I had to threaten to beat everyone up for them to let me out. Not fun.”

The back-and-forth continues a bit longer. Several hours later, Incognito sends to Martin a link to the ESPN story that places blame on Incognito for Martin’s situation. “What’s up with this?” Incognito asks.

“I got nothing to do with it man I haven’t said anything to anyone,” Martin says.

The last three messages come from Incognito, with no response from Martin. Incognito says, “I heard it’s all coming from Ur agent? I need you buddy I’m getting killed in the media. Bro can we talk? The dolphins are talking about releasing me.”

That’s the end of the text messages. Martin, possibly acting on advice from an agent or his lawyer, cut off all communication with Incognito. Based on the picture painted by the text messages, however, it may have been too late, if the goal was to suggest that Incognito subjected Martin to repeated behavior that Incognito knew or should have known was unwelcome.

In other words, it’s going to be very hard to persuade anyone that Incognito behaved inappropriately, based on the text message. Richie was simply being Richie, and Martin voluntarily interacted with him over an extended period of time before suddenly walking away from the team — with no warning in the text messages that Martin was about to snap.

Bottom line? Whatever Martin hopes to prove, the text messages don’t help.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, looks like Martin is just a soft pussy looking for an easy buck.
I think his attorney mommy found the texts and freaked out.

I suggest everyone go back and read them all on the link from the article.

There is a lot of shit in there and not a damn bit of it was bullying.

In fact, you could probably take two 20 something male friends' text messages to each other and see the exact same stuff.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think his attorney mommy found the texts and freaked out.

I suggest everyone go back and read them all on the link from the article.

There is a lot of shit in there and not a damn bit of it was bullying.

In fact, you could probably take two 20 something male friends' text messages to each other and see the exact same stuff.
I wouldn't know. I only text my wife.

Me: Can I get some of that sweet loving tonight?

Wife: No. Quit fucking texting me at work, idiot.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yea there's nothing in there that I don't throw around with my friends, aside from the drugs and prostitutes stuff. It's kind of funny seeing two extremely rich and somewhat famous dudes having to strive just as hard to get girls as normal guys, at least judging from how much they apparently resort to strippers/prostitutes/presumably paying them in coke.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
"I'm not gonna make it to dinner

I'm shitting chocolate pudding every 10 minutes"

:lol

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yea there's nothing in there that I don't throw around with my friends, aside from the drugs and prostitutes stuff. It's kind of funny seeing two extremely rich and somewhat famous dudes having to strive just as hard to get girls as normal guys, at least judging from how much they apparently resort to strippers/prostitutes/presumably paying them in coke.

Seriously...I see no animosity or ill will towards Martin...its 2 guys talking about pussy and partying. Yeah, Martin is a dork for the most part, and Incognito is just fucking with him and trying to get him to "bro" up.

Martin looks like a total..TOTAL douche bag here.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seriously...I see no animosity or ill will towards Martin...its 2 guys talking about pussy and partying. Yeah, Martin is a dork for the most part, and Incognito is just fucking with him and trying to get him to "bro" up.

Martin looks like a total..TOTAL douche bag here.
Martin cracked and needed someone to throw under the bus and Incognito was an easy target.

Newt

DCC 4Life
This makes Martin look like a complete dick. I don't think he'll ever be back in an NFL locker room. I wouldn't want him on my team.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Incognito complains about delayed Ted Wells report, takes shot at Martin’s agent

Posted by Mike Florio on February 6, 2014, 2:32 PM EST

Over the weekend, NFL Network reported that the Ted Wells investigation would be released on Thursday. Thereafter, Ted Wells said the report’s not coming until late next week, or early the following week.

That’s apparently not good enough for Dolphins guard Richie Incognito. He has taken to Twitter to complain about the delayed resolution of the case.

“Paul, Weiss, Rifkind — Really taking your time on this one,” Incognito said, in reference to the firm for which Wells works. “Not like my career and life have been in the balance for 3 months.”

It’s probably not wise for Incognito to complain before the report has been finalized. If Wells is on the fence about any of the key issues, why risk saying anything that would potentially nudge him in the wrong direction?

Wells isn’t the only guy who has had a Twitter bomb hurled his way by Incognito. Per a league source, Incognito tweeted — then deleted — a direct shot at agent Kenny Zuckerman, who represents Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin.

“Jon martin’s agent is Kenny Zuckerman at priority sports,” Incognito tweeted, per the source. “Let’s just say he’s not very ‘trustworthy.’ He screwed [Martin].”

That could be (emphasis on the “could”) a reference to the theory/hypothesis that Martin wanted out of Miami and the whole “bullying” angle was developed to allow him to keep the balance of his signing bonus, given the team’s reputation for being very aggressive about financial issues. As the theory/hypothesis goes, what started as leverage to keep more than $1 million in paid but unearned bonus money unexpectedly spiraled out of everyone’s control.

Incognito’s timeline contains other interesting nuggets, including the revelation that he met with coach Joe Philbin and executive V.P. of football administration Dawn Aponte the day after G.M. Jeff Ireland was fired. Incognito also expresses embarrassment for the manner in which he talks about women in the text messages exchanged with Martin.

While entertaining, Incognito’s best move at this point would be to stay silent and wait for the report. Even after the report comes out, he needs to think carefully about the potential connection between the things he says (on Twitter and elsewhere) and the willingness of another team to welcome what could be an unwanted distraction to the organization.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I thought it was kinda funny how when Mike Sam came out, Incognito was one of the first ones on Twitter to props him. He was all THATS AWESOME BRO I LOVE GAY PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY BRO

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
It'll be interesting how this all turns out. Yes, Ingognito is a dirty player, and yes, probably a little bit racist or a little bit of a "bully". But if the texts are a true indication of he and Jonathan Martin's relationship, it looks like Martin will end up in more deep water than Ingognito has/will. Seems like Martin is just a spoiled, soft, priviledged rich kid who couldn't handle a true man's environment

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

At least he did not do the predictably stupid "My AccT wuz HackEd!".

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Time to shut up, Richie Incognito.
That's exactly what I thought when I was reading his tweets. He was about to be vindicated a little bit, but every tweet was pushing back to being viewed as a douchebag again.

Top Bottom