Mendez: Jones says Ciskowski remains in charge of Cowboys' draft board

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jones says Ciskowski remains in charge of Cowboys' draft board

Scouting director Tom Ciskowski remains in charge of the draft board, although rising personnel star Will McClay is in the mix.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Monday at the Senior Bowl that McClay deserves credit for bringing in the “street” players the Cowboys had to use during the season because of injury.

“Will did a great job of bringing in players throughout the year, which is really zeroing in on a lot of his responsibility,” Jones said. “And he did a great job of evaluating free agents, evaluating players that are out there.

“But as we look at the draft, not necessarily free agency, but as we look at the draft, this would be a big emphasis and is the culmination of a lot of work of these drafts and the head of our scouting, Tom Ciskowski.”

McClay is the assistant director of player personnel. Stephen Jones is the director of personnel.

“Ciskowski’s in charge of college scouting, and this is his big time to put together that board,” Jones said.

Asked if McClay will put together the final board for May, Jones said, “No. That’s Ciskowski.”

Jones elaborated: “The board is a product of a lot of people’s input – of all our scouts, and to some degree, coaches. When you say, ‘put the board together,’ you’ve been through that and you understand how that works, and you’re continually doing that position by position. Tom will continue to be the guy that we look to that is ultimately the manager of the board.”

Ciskowski interviewed for the general manager position with the Indianapolis Colts last year. He has been the Cowboys' scouting director since 2008.

-- Carlos Mendez

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
SHOW US, JERRY!!!!

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And Jerry still remains in charge of avoiding it.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This contradicts an earlier story that said McClay was the board man and not Ciskowski. Hilarious.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I told you people Ciskowski was the real GM.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This contradicts an earlier story that said McClay was the board man and not Ciskowski. Hilarious.
Broaddus is saying that, despite what Jerry is saying publicly, everything he's hearing around VR is that this is McClay's draft rather than Ciskowski's. McClay will be "helping Jerry Jones with the direction of the board" instead of Ciskowski anyway.

What's funny was Spagnola's follow-up question:

Fagnola: "Do you feel that Will has the ability to...how do I say this...ummm..."

Broaddus: {in background "manipulate?"; laughs}.

Fagnola: "Kinda politic...politic Jerry, yeah. Say 'here's our board'...and do it in a way where you, you make Jerry believe it was his idea? Or...do you know what I'm saying? Because Tom sometimes can be a little confrontational."

Broaddus: "Tom will tell you...in fact he felt like Jerry had had enough. Jerry and Stephen both had had enough of him saying you know what, do this, do this, do this. And, being in that room for six years, there is a dynamic to it and there is a tap dance you have to go through. And again, I think that the trust factor–that's the biggest word–last couple years this team has been on the cusp of making the playoffs..."

yada yada yada Broaddus goes on to talk about how McClay has found lots of guys off the street to produce for injured guys the past couple years so Jerry trusts what he says about personnel. Truly sad that the "dynamic" and "tap dance" done in the draft room is to "make Jerry believe it was his idea". Also that Jerry and Stephen were sick of their head of scouting telling them what to do during the draft?! God forbid that the scouts drive a draft! Not that this is anything we didn't know before, it's just funny to hear discussion about it.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Broaddus is saying that, despite what Jerry is saying publicly, everything he's hearing around VR is that this is McClay's draft rather than Ciskowski's. McClay will be "helping Jerry Jones with the direction of the board" instead of Ciskowski anyway.

Fagnola: "Do you feel that Will has the ability to...how do I say this...ummm..."

Fagnola: "Kinda politic...politic Jerry, yeah. Say 'here's our board'...and do it in a way where you, you make Jerry believe it was his idea? Or...do you know what I'm saying? Because Tom sometimes can be a little confrontational."

Broaddus: "Tom will tell you...in fact he felt like Jerry had had enough. Jerry and Stephen both had had enough of him saying you know what, do this, do this, do this. And, being in that room for six years, there is a dynamic to it and there is a tap dance you have to go through. And again, I think that the trust factor–that's the biggest word–last couple years this team has been on the cusp of making the playoffs..."

yada yada yada Broaddus goes on to talk about how McClay has found lots of guys off the street to produce for injured guys the past couple years so Jerry trusts what he says about personnel. Truly sad that the "dynamic" and "tap dance" done in the draft room is to "make Jerry believe it was his idea". Also that Jerry and Stephen were sick of their head of scouting telling them what to do during the draft?! God forbid that the scouts drive a draft! Not that this is anything we didn't know before, it's just funny to hear discussion about it.
We are such a train wreck I'd say it couldn't get any worse but I know somehow Jerry will find a way

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is so tragic.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
This is so tragic.
So everyone in the draft room has to do a tap dance to make Jerry feel like everything is his idea while he and Goof Son are very clear with their Director of Scouting that they're sick of him telling them what moves they should be making in the draft. What's the problem? :unsure

These are the reasons that this organization fails year after year. Jerry Jones is an absolute joke but he thinks he's the one who should be laughing because...stadium (and 3 Super Bowls nearly 20 years ago with Jimmy Johnson/no salary cap).#areyounotentertained

Last edited:
Top Bottom