Archer: Why a fullback doesn't make sense for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why a fullback doesn't make sense for Cowboys

December, 4, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys seemed to make a lot of fans happy on Tuesday when they signed a fullback. It wasn’t Lawrence Vickers, which still had some upset, but at leastTyler Clutts actually has played fullback in an NFL game.

To me, however, the signing does not make a lot of sense.

The Cowboys’ pro personnel department deserves a lot of credit for finding guys. George Selvie, Nick Hayden and Jarius Wynn have all helped this year. You can go back to last year for guys like Ernie Sims, Sterling Moore and Eric Frampton. And who can forget the Laurent Robinson signing?

This is not a knock on Clutts, who was described by a personnel chief as a “workmanlike lead blocker.” He might be another solid find. I just don’t see how he fits in what the Cowboys do well in their running game.

The weather will be cold in Chicago on Monday. It could be cold when the Cowboys play theWashington Redskins. And Jason Garrett keeps saying you want to be a physical team in December. I get all of that, but what the Cowboys do best when they run the ball is spread the field with three wide receivers.

Maybe it’s the curse of Tony Fiammetta, another pro department find who helped DeMarco Murray bust out in 2011. The fullback is a revered spot around here, going back to Walt Garrison and leading us to Daryl Johnston.

But it is also a dying position with offenses designed to pass the ball more or run out of “11 personnel,” like the Cowboys.

The Cowboys offensive line is not the ‘90s version of the Cowboys’ line. They do not overpower people. The scheme is not really a power scheme. They look to create creases, not gaping holes. Nate Newton and Larry Allen are not walking through that door to do that.

Murray is averaging 5.5 yards per carry for his career when he runs out of three-wide receiver looks. This year the Cowboys have gained 531 yards on 114 carries and scored five touchdowns out of 11 personnel. Against the Raiders they had 92 yards on 11 carries in 11 personnel. Lance Dunbar’s 45-yard run came out of 11 personnel. Even without that run the Cowboys averaged 4.7 yards a pop when they ran out of three-wides.

So this brings me to Clutts. Will he play five snaps a game? Is it worth it? Was using a tight end or linebacker Kyle Bosworth at fullback that bad? Not really.

The Cowboys could have gone a number of different ways in replacing Dunbar, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday with a knee injury. They worked out Clutts and a handful of other runners that have barely made their mark in the NFL. Would any of those guys helped? If you’re going to look for a runner, find a tested runner -- even one that has not played this year -- who might have six weeks left in him.

The better move would have been to poach from a practice squad. They did it late last year with tackle Darrion Weems. Maybe he develops into a backup. Maybe he never develops. But they at least had the chance to develop a player. They could look at any position really. In my Five Wonders post, I wondered why they don’t add a No. 3 quarterback for the stretch run. He’d be inactive for the final four games anyway, so at least get a guy in here to learn how they do things as they head into the offseason.

Maybe Clutts will help the running game, but statistics suggest otherwise.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Unless he is a special teams contributor, I don't see how he makes the game day actives.

jester

Brand New Member
I don't get this signing at all. With the obvious needs at other positions because of injury, we decide to pick up a random journeyman while altering our entire run philosophy.

With the way that Murray has been tenatively hitting the hole, a fb is going to create more of a bottle neck at the point of attack rather than springing Murray. And if I recall a great number of big gains by Murray w a fullback was made when Murray cut to the backside of the play away from the lead block point of attack.

jester

Brand New Member
I would rather have anyone on this list of FA RBs than taken any including Moose to block for Murray.
Michael Turner.Cedric Benson.Montario Hardesty.Jahvid Best.Kevin Smith.Joe McKnightBrandon JacksonIsaac RedmanJoseph AddaiSteve Slaton (KR)Javon RingerTim HightowerD.J. Ware (KR)Mewelde Moore (KR/PR)Lance BallRyan TorainKeiland WilliamsKregg LumpkinJalen ParmeleDelone CarterShaun DraughnJamie HarperThomas ClaytonStefan Logan (PR/KR)Jeremiah JohnsonRock CartwrightDarren EvansWilliam PowellRobert HughesTristan DavisArmando AllenArmond SmithGeorge WinnJonathan GrimesJohn ClayMiquel Maysonet

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett explains fullback signing

December, 6, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Cowboys signed fullback Tyler Clutts this week, it raised some questions about the run game and why there was a need to add a fullback.

• Are the Cowboys concerned about it enough that they need to add a fullback?
  • Is the team admitting not having one on the roster -- it employed four running backs this season -- was a mistake?
  • Has the two-tight-end set the Cowboys were going to use this season failed them?

In a response, coach Jason Garrett said not really.

"You just want to see what’s available to ya, and he's a guy we kind a had our eye on and we feel like he can help us in some way," Garrett said Friday. "The physical nature of our football team. I think when you have a true fullback it can certainly have a positive impact on what you’re trying to get done there. But we've been pleased with the tight ends and the different personnel groups we've used."

DeMarco Murray has rushed 49 times for 248 yards with one touchdown with a two-tight end set. With three-tight-end sets, Murray has 61 yards on 15 carries with one touchdown. The 49 carries for Murray, out of two-tight end sets is the 14th most in the NFL.

Gavin Escobar was drafted in the second round as someone who would get significant amounts of playing time in a two-tight-end set with Jason Witten. Escobar has been a disappointment, though the team still believes in his abilities, despite the fact he has struggled at blocking.

James Hanna is a better tight end than Escobar, but that he has more experience might be a reason why he's getting more playing time.

But the Cowboys are using more three- and four-receiver-sets than the two-tight-end sets this season.

It could be attributed to Escobar's inability to become a consistent blocker, Murray's own struggles and the lack of run plays called.

"We’ve been in 11 personnel (one back, one tight end, and three receivers) a lot, we’ve been in 12 (one back, two tight ends, and two receivers), we’ve been in three-tight-end sets and we've been in a four-receiver-sets with no backs," Garrett said. "And we've tried to use a variety of personnel groups to attack defenses in different ways and this another element to that."

Cotton

Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it's more along the lines of a plan that failed, and now they are having to try to come up with a new one.
No. It's not a plan. You stick to plans because you believe in plans. You have a philosophy. If you are having problems, you adjust, not abandon after 12 weeks. A few months ago we heard, this is what we believe in now. Today, we hear that THIS is what we believe in now. What will they believe tomorrow?

It's flying by the seat of your pants.

If they looked at their personnel groups and their production and efficiency and all that stuff and came to a conclusion that they were more effective without a fullback to such a degree that they didn't need to even carry one at all, that there would be no use or such little use that they'd be better off using that spot for another player, that's fine. But you don't say 12 games in - oops, actually we do need one.

That reeks of incompetency. Either you completely misevaluated whether you actually needed a fullback, or (the theory I lean towards) you had no plan at all, you just didn't want to cut one of the halfbacks so they said, eh...we can live without a fullback (without even evaluating the personnel groupings, or almost as bad, giving it a cursory evaluation but basing the decision on personnel rather than the effectiveness of the grouping).

Obviously it comes back to the two TE package. They figured they didn't need a FB because they have this kickass 2 TE package. Even though everyone and god knew Escobar isn't a blocker. And now they are throwing up their hands and saying, well maybe we can throw a FB in there and see what happens.

A plan has contingencies. A plan says this is what were are doing, and this is how we adjust if certain things happen. We have no plan.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Notwithstanding that we are specifically discussing the Cowboys, you can make plans on the fly. I have had to make adjustments and contingencies all the time in my management career. Granted you establish a goal and device a plan to attain it but circumstances can arise to make you improvise. I have no idea whether there is such a situation with the team but something prompted this move.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not like they picked up a FB to build the offense around for Pete's sake. This is more about available talent and lack of depth at RB than a change in philosophy.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It's not like they picked up a FB to build the offense around for Pete's sake. This is more about available talent and lack of depth at RB than a change in philosophy.
Available talent? There are plenty of halfbacks that are more talented than the nobody they signed.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Notwithstanding that we are specifically discussing the Cowboys, you can make plans on the fly. I have had to make adjustments and contingencies all the time in my management career. Granted you establish a goal and device a plan to attain it but circumstances can arise to make you improvise. I have no idea whether there is such a situation with the team but something prompted this move.
I think the biggest gripe with this 2 TE "plan" is that they keep going back to it after years and years of failing to get it to work.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think the biggest gripe with this 2 TE "plan" is that they keep going back to it after years and years of failing to get it to work.
Maybe they have something up their sleeve with the FB acquisition.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Gavin Escobar was drafted in the second round as someone who would get significant amounts of playing time in a two-tight-end set with Jason Witten. Escobar has been a disappointment, though the team still believes in his abilities, despite the fact he has struggled at blocking.
Everyone knew Escobar wasn't a good blocker and yet we took him in the 2nd anyway. Now we are down on him because he isn't a good blocker. He was going to have to be a dominant pass catcher to at least make some sense of the pick and that hasn't happened either.

dallen

Senior Tech
Everyone knew Escobar wasn't a good blocker and yet we took him in the 2nd anyway. Now we are down on him because he isn't a good blocker. He was going to have to be a dominant pass catcher to at least make some sense of the pick and that hasn't happened either.
But...Jimmy Graham

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe they have something up their sleeve with the FB acquisition.
Like what? Let me get a guy that sucks, that'll show 'em?

Even Broaddus thinks the player is trash...that is pretty scary.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
About all he has going for him is his supposedly good hands.

Can't block? Check.

Can't run a decent route? Check.

No quickness or downfield speed? Check.

Retarded facial expression? Check.

Your basic nightmare.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Like what? Let me get a guy that sucks, that'll show 'em?

Even Broaddus thinks the player is trash...that is pretty scary.
Well then perhaps you can explain the move. I can only speculate that someone had something in mind but I can't say what.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Well then perhaps you can explain the move. I can only speculate that someone had something in mind but I can't say what.
Well, according to Broaddus, the scouting department (Ciskowski, McClay) wanted to go grab a practice squad guy, any position, like they did with Jeremy Parnell a few years ago. Instead, the staff overruled them (or cried to Jerry) and got the fullback.

So who the eff knows.

All I know is that since we have an inept GM, you get dysfunction like this.

Top Bottom