The Great Police Work Thread

shane

DCC 4Life
Privatize the police. Then they'll actually have to earn their money by providing their customers with a good service through the marketplace. Problem solved.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Privatize the police. Then they'll actually have to earn their money by providing their customers with a good service through the marketplace. Problem solved.
Or become a private army of mercenaries working for the highest bidder. No thanks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, just a comment or 2 because some of you are making ridiculous statements like "that guy should never be a cop again." "He should be fired!" And then there is the ridiculousness of Bipo. First off, watch the video and gather in all of the attitude emanating from the female in the car. He remains remarkably calm and politely (even used please) asks her to put out her cigarette. Nothing wring with that in fact after having them thrown at me a one time before a pursuit started, I asked this of all the people I stopped.
When she refused, That combined with the attitude may have given him pause and he had it within his scope to ask her to get out.
Oh come on. The officer took a simple traffic stop where he could have written a ticket and moved on and made it into a dangerous situation for everyone. The reason why I say someone like that shouldn't be an officer any longer is because he doesn't have the disposition for the job. He is the type of officer who is going to end up hurting someone because he doesn't know how to deal with difficult people. Lets face the facts, traffic officers are basically always going to deal with annoyed and pissed off people. No one is thankful that they got pulled over and handed a ticket for a traffic violation. If this is his reaction to someone being rude to him then he shouldn't be an officer.

It scares me a little the way you say that if she had just done everything he said she would have been ok. Officer's don't get to treat the general public like children that just need to blindly follow and obey all orders by an officer. This officer clearly thinks that is the case but that's not how the law works. It's also why he was suspended.

shane

DCC 4Life
Or become a private army of mercenaries working for the highest bidder. No thanks.
Even if that were the case, we would still be safer than we are under the current system of militarized, unaccountable government policing.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ok, just a comment or 2 because some of you are making ridiculous statements like "that guy should never be a cop again." "He should be fired!" And then there is the ridiculousness of Bipo. First off, watch the video and gather in all of the attitude emanating from the female in the car. He remains remarkably calm and politely (even used please) asks her to put out her cigarette. Nothing wring with that in fact after having them thrown at me a one time before a pursuit started, I asked this of all the people I stopped.
When she refused, That combined with the attitude may have given him pause and he had it within his scope to ask her to get out. Once she started telling him what he could and couldn't do then again he was within his scope to do what needed to be done to affect an arrest or ensure officer safety.
I would take issue with how he delivered his commands and the way he said things, but her attitude and bad behavior dictated how she was treated. Had she done as she was told, it never would have gotten to that point. What normal adult here would have spoken to an officer that way. I as a teenager knew to be polite, respectful, accept my deserved citation and be on my way. I can't believe the stupidity of some people nowadays. If you get a ticket, be polite, take the ticket and fight it court not on the side of the road where you have no chance to win.
While I may not have done it his way, he didn't do anything too terrible other than offend those of you that already hate police sensibilities. The fact that she killed herself is mute and morons blaming trying to blame this on police are just that, moronic.
So let me get this straight attitude and bad behavior is a reason to be arrested?

Because he had no reason to ask her out of the car besides him not liking her tone, are'nt police officers taught to descalte situations?

At what point was his safety threatened?

At what point do you feel an arrest was warranted?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Even if that were the case, we would still be safer than we are under the current system of militarized, unaccountable government policing.
Look into private prisons. Their conditions are worse than in the state ones in terms of corruption, abuse, facilities, everything.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Don't take this as a personal attack Fort's.

But I have to say your take on this situation is the biggest problem police departments currently have, unless a citizen acts the way you want them to then anything that happens after the fact is there fault and all police will find a way to exscuse the officers behavior.

I understand the attitude of sticking together but at what point in your mind does an officer cross the line?

You mentioned the safety of this officer as justifying his actions, when was he ever threatened?

I am not so quick to say this guy should never be a cop without knowing his full record but there should be some disciplinary actions against just for the pulling of his taser.

How would you handle this guy after seeing that video?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I didn't say it was the way I behaved. I said I have been in a circumstance where the cig was thrown in my face as the person sped away causing a pursuit. So I then requested that everyone I stopped put out their smoke. I may have waited until backup arrived before making the person get out of the car, but yes, she would have gotten out of the car. I also am not aware under what circumstance this agency works under. The guy called for an assist, but who knows how far away that assist may have been. And lastly, something you all doing the judging here may or may not realize is that if this chick was willing to kill herself then the threat exists that she may have also tried to take someone out with her or even desired that someone else do it for her. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things an officer does on a regular basis and you all have absolutely no idea how they can go sideways in a split second.
You also act is if pulling a taser on an uncooperative person is a big deal. He displayed it, she came out, and it was put away. It served its purpose. This ladies' history says she had tried to kill herself before so who what was going through her head, but dealing cooperatively with an officer for a peaceful end was not what she had in mind. The officer may not have been perfect in his dealings with her, but you all act as if she had no blame in her arrest and I beg to differ.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Don't take this as a personal attack Fort's.

But I have to say your take on this situation is the biggest problem police departments currently have, unless a citizen acts the way you want them to then anything that happens after the fact is there fault and all police will find a way to exscuse the officers behavior.

I understand the attitude of sticking together but at what point in your mind does an officer cross the line?

You mentioned the safety of this officer as justifying his actions, when was he ever threatened?

I am not so quick to say this guy should never be a cop without knowing his full record but there should be some disciplinary actions against just for the pulling of his taser.

How would you handle this guy after seeing that video?

See Jiggs, here is where your problem is. While I have condemned officers for behavior here, you have never taken the side that an officer may be in the right even when it was proven so. I will never excuse inexcusable behavior, but neither will I say a person ought be fired or not have a job based on a minutes worth of video where his actions may not be perfect, but don't warrant what many of you are screaming for. The Taser is a tool to gain cooperation of a person just like pepper spray or a baton. It is not in any police department's manual a deadly weapon and I would bet by his departments training he used it properly. Get over it because it isn't like he screwed a gun in her ear.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
See Jiggs, here is where your problem is. While I have condemned officers for behavior here, you have never taken the side that an officer may be in the right even when it was proven so. I will never excuse inexcusable behavior, but neither will I say a person ought be fired or not have a job based on a minutes worth of video where his actions may not be perfect, but don't warrant what many of you are screaming for. The Taser is a tool to gain cooperation of a person just like pepper spray or a baton. It is not in any police department's manual a deadly weapon and I would bet by his departments training he used it properly. Get over it because it isn't like he screwed a gun in her ear.
I think your problem was that you digressed onto how people ought to be polite to police as if that was a crime, not being respectful enough. It just isn't.

Before you paint me with the same brush for never being on the cop's side, I supported Wilson's actions in Ferguson, you can check my posts on it in this thread.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think your problem was that you digressed onto how people ought to be polite to police as if that was a crime, not being respectful enough. It just isn't.

Before you paint me with the same brush for never being on the cop's side, I supported Wilson's actions in Ferguson, you can check my posts on it in this thread.
Well hell yes people should be polite when stopped by law enforcement. It is already a tense situation at the onset so compounding an already bad situation isn't smart. If you are not guilty of anything just bite your tounge and let the situation play out. If you are mistreated get the badge number and express your complaint to the officers superiors. Whether you think you will get redress is beside the point. Don't make an already volatile situation worse. It can only go against your best interest.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well hell yes people should be polite when stopped by law enforcement. It is already a tense situation at the onset so compounding an already bad situation isn't smart. If you are not guilty of anything just bite your tounge and let the situation play out. If you are mistreated get the badge number and express your complaint to the officers superiors. Whether you think you will get redress is beside the point. Don't make an already volatile situation worse. It can only go against your best interest.
:lol (Can't help but laugh about the complaint process. Officers stick like glue together)

In reality people should always be polite. It's just how I was raised. But not being polite isn't justification for an officer to do whatever he wants.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Sure, that's common sense, but just because something is against common sense, it doesn't make it against the law or justify the officer abusing his authority to punish someone for being disrespectful.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sure, that's common sense, but just because something is against common sense, it doesn't make it against the law or justify the officer abusing his authority to punish someone for being disrespectful.
Officers are not parents who get to treat the general public like children. They don't get to punish them for being disrespectful or disobedient.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
:lol (Can't help but laugh about the complaint process. Officers stick like glue together)

In reality people should always be polite. It's just how I was raised. But not being polite isn't justification for an officer to do whatever he wants.
I don't believe I used the word polite. I said hold your tounge and be smart. That was Clays words. I was repeating them.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am not justifying bad behavior. I am saying don't be stupid and make a bad matter worse.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe I used the word polite. I said hold your tounge and be smart. That was Clays words. I was repeating them.
Well as an attorney I always advise my clients to use their right to remain silent. Unfortunately most people have a really difficult time actually doing that. Again though, while you may have a right to remain silent there is nothing about speaking your mind that is justification for an officer to do whatever he wants. Well unless speaking your mind is actually you admitting to a crime or threatening the officers safety specifically.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And lastly, something you all doing the judging here may or may not realize is that if this chick was willing to kill herself then the threat exists that she may have also tried to take someone out with her
Sure, but the cop had no idea when he was acting the way he did that she was suicidal. Which is case in point that the officer acted inappropriately given the facts he was presented with. No one doubts that officers have a dangerous job. My argument would be that the officer in this circumstance made his own job much more difficult and unsafe. All he had to do was write the ticket and walk away. Instead he ended up getting "assaulted" according to him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And you never answered any of my questions.

Are you trained to pull a taser when someone is not getting out of there car in a timely maner?

Does not putting out a cigarette reason for asking someone to get out of the car?

Yes the officer has a right to ask someone to get out of the car do you think his actions were warranted?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well as an attorney I always advise my clients to use their right to remain silent. Unfortunately most people have a really difficult time actually doing that. Again though, while you may have a right to remain silent there is nothing about speaking your mind that is justification for an officer to do whatever he wants. Well unless speaking your mind is actually you admitting to a crime or threatening the officers safety specifically.
I am not debating legal rights. My advice is simple. Don't do anything to make the matter worse. That's it.

Top Bottom