Bill Belichick smiled 7 times this season, never after a loss

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bill Belichick smiled 7 times this season, never after a loss

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

January 10, 2014 10:56 am ET

Will Bill Belichick smile for an eighth time this season?
Which Bill Belichick will we see Saturday night after the Patriots face the Colts in the AFC Divisional game? The simple answer is ... it depends.

If New England wins (and they're favored by 7.5 points), there's a chance Bill cracks a smile. If New England loses, all we'll see are distant stares and terse responses sandwiched around plenty of frowns.

We mention this because a recent Wall Street Journal "study" found that in 114.5 minutes of post-game press conferences during the 2013 season, Belichick smiled a grand total of seven times. (Franky, that seems high.) That works out to one smile every 16 minutes.

You can view the evidence here.

The first smile came on Oct. 13 after the Pats' come-from-behind win over the Saints. The last two came on Dec. 29 following the teams' Week 17 win over the Bills.

As for the very first known Belichick smile, MassLive.com's Nick Underhill unearthed this:

As WSJ's Geoff Foster, who spent nearly two hours of his life watching Belichick pressers, notes: "The clearest takeaway from all this: Patriots losses are a complete no-smile zone. But if the Patriots go on to win the Super Bowl this season, we should get that eighth Belichick grin -- maybe."

----------------

And Garrett was smiling like a MFer the presser after Romo's back was hurt.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wouldn't you have been? That was a job saving injury.
He could have attempted to be less obvious.

Honestly, that's where this idea is somehow a PC "winner" more than Phillips because he doesn't make jokes at himself, play with his chin fat, and tug at arm hair, is just crap.

He will do his stupid "how's it goin' guys!" and then lapse into robot mode. He is completely boring and borderline irritating. He could do the coachspeak thing if he had actually won something and then play with the media.

Belichick may not entertain people, but he has his own kind of charisma. You know the bitch is smart.

Garrett? LAWL

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Wouldn't you have been? That was a job saving injury.
I'm not so sure. I am under the impression that Garrett was coming back no matter what, even of Romo was never hurt. Jerry wants Garrett to be HC come hell or high water.

junk

Not So New Member
No wonder Belichick is grumpy all the time. Look at those ridiculous shoes his parents put him in.

I don't even know what those are. Looks like something you'd see someone's Grandma wearing.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No wonder Belichick is grumpy all the time. Look at those ridiculous shoes his parents put him in.

I don't even know what those are. Looks like something you'd see someone's Grandma wearing.
They're sandals. I have a couple pair for Summer kick around.

Top Bottom