Wild Card Gameday Chatter|1/4/14

data

Forbes #1
These Roman/Trojan gladiator movies have lost all their appeal.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Now let's take a look at Cincinnati. They aren't a particularly great team but they are solid overall, their D isn't overwhelming but all 3 levels of the defense are sound. With Atkins out they don't really have any elite superstars over there but they don't have huge glaring weaknesses either.

Offensively Green is obviously elite but Dalton is an above average yet limited QB, their RB's and TE's are ok but again, nothing special, their OL reminds me of their defense in that it is solid all around but it's not littered with elite players.

The team seems very pragmatic to me though, they know what they are, they run the ball, they feature Green in the passing game and they rely on their defense. They aren't the best team in the league but they've been in the playoffs 3 years in a row and if things fall right I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the AFCC this year.

Basically, there is no reason that we shouldn't at least be that going forward if we would simply invest heavily into the DL and stop wasting picks on fucking TE's and trading up for CB's. You never know what will happen with Romo but I like the foundation we are building offensively for the next, presumably young QB, in that we have Dez and most importantly what looks like a potentially elite OL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Now let's take a look at Cincinnati. They aren't a particularly great team but they are solid overall, their D isn't overwhelming but all 3 levels of the defense are sound. With Atkins out they don't really have any elite superstars over there but they don't have huge glaring weaknesses either.

Offensively Green is obviously elite but Dalton is an above average yet limited QB, their RB's and TE's are ok but again, nothing special, their OL reminds me of their defense in that it is solid all around but it's not littered with elite players.

The team seems very pragmatic to me though, they know what they are, they run the ball, they feature Green in the passing game and they rely on their defense. They aren't the best team in the league but they've been in the playoffs 3 years in a row and if things fall right I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up in the AFCC this year.

Basically, there is no reason that we shouldn't at least be that going forward if we would simply invest heavily into the DL and stop wasting picks on fucking TE's and trading up for CB's. You never know what will happen with Romo but I like the foundation we are building offensively for the next, presumably young QB, in that we have Dez and most importantly what looks like a potentially elite OL.
I think it is important to note that Cincinnati has built itself through the draft.

They are notoriously cheap in free agency. Mike Brown has himself as the GM, but rarely do you see him sign players to long term deals because he likes them personally, nor does he marry himself to players due to contracts.

Take a look at their drafts the past four-five years. Very few small school projects, all big school players.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love a little Woodhead on this team. We need a back that can catch the ball.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it is important to note that Cincinnati has built itself through the draft.

They are notoriously cheap in free agency. Mike Brown has himself as the GM, but rarely do you see him sign players to long term deals because he likes them personally, nor does he marry himself to players due to contracts.

Take a look at their drafts the past four-five years. Very few small school projects, all big school players.
Yea definitely and they seem to go after guys (maybe take risks if you want to call it that) who at one point were very highly rated but their stock fell for one reason or another, guys like Michael Johnson, Vontaze Burfict and Carlos Dunlap. They also invest heavily into the OL and DL through the draft, their DL is littered with guys taken in the 2nd/3rd rounds and their OL has two 1st rounders on it.

I'm satisfied with what we're doing on the OL but we need to start spending multiple big time picks on the DL for at least the next 2 drafts.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
One thing I have noticed about the San Diego OL.

They have an audible grunt in unison that tells me they are firing off the ball hard.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Simp thinks every coach and every team in the NFL sucks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yea definitely and they seem to go after guys (maybe take risks if you want to call it that) who at one point were very highly rated but their stock fell for one reason or another, guys like Michael Johnson, Vontaze Burfict and Carlos Dunlap. They also invest heavily into the OL and DL through the draft, their DL is littered with guys taken in the 2nd/3rd rounds and their OL has two 1st rounders on it.

I'm satisfied with what we're doing on the OL but we need to start spending multiple big time picks on the DL for at least the next 2 drafts.
If we go hard after the DL, we need to avoid guys from Podunk State. In fact, we need to go all big school for once and see what happens.

We have had too many guys like Jason Williams, AOA, Webb and Brewster who were soft and came from small schools.

Top Bottom