Archive - Random NFL Stuff Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Giants cut Damontre Moore for fighting Cullen Jenkins over headphones

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 12, 2015, 6:39 AM EST

Friday on the Giants started with an act of generosity from Odell Beckham Jr. and ended with Damontre Moore out of a job.

Beckham brought dozens of pairs of Beats by Dre headphones to practice on Friday to give them as gifts to his teammates. But some players took more than one, and defensive tackle Cullen Jenkins was seen leaving the locker room with several pairs.

That angered Moore, and he and Jenkins got into a fight, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. It was after that fight that the Giants decided to cut Moore.

The fight was the last straw for Moore. Giants coach Tom Coughlin has said multiple times that Moore needs to do a better job of conducting himself as a professional. Coughlin was particularly upset with Moore after he picked up a costly roughing the passer penalty against the Eagles, and Coughlin chewed out Moore after a fight on the practice field in training camp.

There’s no word on whether the Giants have disciplined Jenkins. It sounds like he and Moore were both to blame, but Jenkins wasn’t on his last chance like Moore was. It also helps that Jenkins is a starter while Moore was a backup.

Moore will now be available to any team that wants him on waivers, but it’s hard to imagine anyone will claim him. Although he has talent as a pass rusher, he’s shown the kind of immaturity that NFL teams usually are only willing to deal with for a star player.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
You earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and lose it over a pair of headphones? I hope they let you take your blankie and binky with you when they kicked your ass out. Idiot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and lose it over a pair of headphones? I hope they let you take your blankie and binky with you when they kicked your ass out. Idiot.
It is kind of a dick move though. Someone brings a plate of cookies for everyone at work, you don't jump up there and grab 6 cookies before everyone else gets one. Just saying...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So, you are saying the Cowboys should sign him?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It is kind of a dick move though. Someone brings a plate of cookies for everyone at work, you don't jump up there and grab 6 cookies before everyone else gets one. Just saying...
It is a dick move but certainly not something worth losing your job over, especially when the league already perceives you to be an immature flake.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So Murray touched the ball a grand total of 2 times last night.

Cap hit or not, there is no way the Eagles are keeping a guy at his salary when they value him so little. MAYBE he stays if they bring in a new HC who puts an emphasis on running the ball, but outside of that, the Eagles are going to cut their losses.

Welcome back to Dallas, DeMarco.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So Murray touched the ball a grand total of 2 times last night.

Cap hit or not, there is no way the Eagles are keeping a guy at his salary when they value him so little. MAYBE he stays if they bring in a new HC who puts an emphasis on running the ball, but outside of that, the Eagles are going to cut their losses.

Welcome back to Dallas, DeMarco.
I hope so.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I wouldn't want him. As I stated in another thread, I'd be all for a guy like Lamar Miller, a guy still in his prime and coming off a productive year and hasn't been heavily used.

Why would we go back to Murray at this stage? You can make all the excuses you want about the offensive line and scheme, but these things don't account for THIS big of a drop off. But what does, because we've seen it throughout nfl history, is age and overuse. That doesn't get better.

We'd be absolute fools to go back to Murray when there are better, younger options out there with much less risk.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I wouldn't want him. As I stated in another thread, I'd be all for a guy like Lamar Miller, a guy still in his prime and coming off a productive year and hasn't been heavily used.

Why would we go back to Murray at this stage? You can make all the excuses you want about the offensive line and scheme, but these things don't account for THIS big of a drop off. But what does, because we've seen it throughout nfl history, is age and overuse. That doesn't get better.

We'd be absolute fools to go back to Murray when there are better, younger options out there with much less risk.
I agree. There will be better options out there in this free agency period. Miller being at the top of my list with Forte somewhere in the mix.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Of course those factors can be attributed to such a big drop off.

Have you not watched the games? How many times has he been tackled behind the LOS? And again, he's always running sideways. Did you not see what happened to Randy Moss and how huge his drop off was when he went to Oakland? These things can and do happen.

And what are the younger, better options you speak of? Lamar Miller? When has he ever looked as good as Murray?

He was used heavily for ONE season. Some of you guys act like this is is Larry Johnson with multiple years of 400 carries. The guy isn't going to cost much if he hits the market and given his chemistry with this line, we absolutely should be after him.

He shouldn't be the ONLY guy we bring in to improve the position, but he should be one of the options. I have zero doubt that he'd come back and be a productive runner again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So do I. He just had one year of hard use and he is no where close to being worn out. Yes it is a valid observation to say he hasn't been utilized properly. That isn't just me talking. It has been observed by dozens of football experts.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So do I. He just had one year of hard use and he is no where close to being worn out. Yes it is a valid observation to say he hasn't been utilized properly. That isn't just me talking. It has been observed by dozens of football experts.
I understand if some fans have some questions and that's fair. Even I don't think that we should sign him and consider that as the definitive solution. We should still look for a guy in the draft or even FA that has some ability just in case. But what I don't understand is this line of thinking that he's finished or that he's definitely on the downside of his career.

What is this based on? Because he had one season of heavy use and a down year on a bad team where he's a terrible fit?

There's simply no basis for declaring Murray as a declining or finished player nor is there basis for considering a guy like Lamar Miller a better option.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I understand if some fans have some questions and that's fair. Even I don't think that we should sign him and consider that is the solution. We should still look for a guy in the draft or even FA that has some ability just in case. But what I don't understand is this line of thinking that he's finished or that he's definitely on the downside of his career.

What is this based on? Because he had one season of heavy use and a down year on a bad team where he's a terrible fit?

There's simply no basis for declaring Murray as a declining or finished player nor is there basis for considering a guy like Lamar Miller a better option.
You sound like me a few months back.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course those factors can be attributed to such a big drop off.

Have you not watched the games? How many times has he been tackled behind the LOS? And again, he's always running sideways. Did you not see what happened to Randy Moss and how huge his drop off was when he went to Oakland? These things can and do happen.

And what are the younger, better options you speak of? Lamar Miller? When has he ever looked as good as Murray?

He was used heavily for ONE season. Some of you guys act like this is is Larry Johnson with multiple years of 400 carries. The guy isn't going to cost much if he hits the market and given his chemistry with this line, we absolutely should be after him.

He shouldn't be the ONLY guy we bring in to improve the position, but he should be one of the options. I have zero doubt that he'd come back and be a productive runner again.

Ooooookay. Where to begin?

Let's start with whether I watch the games. You know full well that I watch the Eagles more than you do. Probably much more. Much to my chagrin.

Did it ever occur to you, that maybe marry his hid behind the lines so much, in part because he is slow to get to the line? Its funny how Sproles and Mathews Don't seem to be hit behind the line as much.

I am NOT saying that scheme isn't a factor. But what I am saying is, scheme alone cannot account for this big of a drop off. It just isn't the case that Murray is so one dimensional that he can't play and be at least effective in this scheme. He isn't just not as good, he is completely ineffective.

It wasn't that long ago that he was a five yards per carry runner. Last year he was in the upper 4s. Suddenly he is in the mid threes I believe. I'm sorry but that's more than just scheme. That's more than just offensive line.

Next. Randy moss. Not germane. He's a WR and therefore QB dependent. He can't throw the ball to himself. He's also had personality issues that don't apply to Murray. Further, WRs don't take the physical pounding RBs do, and thus are generally still able to be effective later in their careers. It's not an apt comparison.

Next. Funny you bring up Larry Johnson, because he's the perfect demonstration of why we should avoid Murray. You're actually wrong about Johnson: he topped 400 carries in his career exactly once. Around the same age as Murray (26 or 27 I think?). Johnson also had only one other season above even 300 carries (325 or so I think), the year prior to 400. His workload was actually pretty similar to Murray's and the spike came at a similar time as Murray.

In his 300 something carry season Johnson averaged 5 ypc. In the following season, Johnson had 400 carries and a still good 4 something ypc. The following season Johnson was toast and never came close to recovering. At about the same age as Murray now. Johnson's career actually mirrors Murray's pretty closely.

To be clear, it's not JUST the carries that concern me with Murray, it's that combined with his age and the fact that we are seeing a huge drop in production. We'd be fools to ignore all that.

Next. When has Miller been better than Murray? THIS YEAR. And he's a couple years younger, and he's got a lot less mileage.

Why in the world would you go with a seriously declining RB at 29 over a lightly used 26 year old in his prime? It's a no brainer.

It's not that Murray is definitely toast. But he probably is. All of the warning signs are there.Why take that risk, considering Murray's age?

If you don't like Miller, fair enough. But that doesn't mean you turn to Murray. Trust me, I want a bell cow. I think it is important for this team. But we have to face facts. Murray is not that guy anymore. Why wouldn't we just move on to younger, Better options?

Even if you don't factory in the huge amount of carries from last year, Running backs across-the-board decline right around Murray's age. Smart teams move on. Especially when you can see it happening right in front of your face.

D

Deuce

History said this would happen to him. Maybe not to this extent, but the big dropoff was inevitable.

F him.

Top Bottom