Point/Counterpoint: Should Orton's Status Affect Draft Plans?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Point: Orton’s Iffy Status Should Alter QB Draft Plans

Posted 40 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys need to know about Kyle Orton’s future before next Thursday.

That’s not a request or a threat from the team, it should just be more of a courtesy on Orton’s part as the Cowboys prepare for the NFL Draft and decide whether or not to select a quarterback.

If Orton’s not on the roster in 2014, that changes the scope of the quarterback situation in Dallas significantly, particularly with 34-year-old Tony Romo coming off back surgery. The Cowboys could use both short and long-term options behind their franchise quarterback.

If Orton’s not on the roster in 2014, the Cowboys’ backup behind Romo will either have 23 career touchdown passes and 26 interceptions (Brandon Weeden) or three touchdowns passes and 10 interceptions (Caleb Hanie). Orton, with 83 touchdown passes and 59 interceptions, provides comfort and stability that the others on the roster don’t.

If Orton’s not on the roster in 2014, the Cowboys have to know now or in the next week. They need to start thinking about the future of the position if Orton’s no longer an option.

Romo’s going to be the quarterback in Dallas for the foreseeable future and is being paid handsomely to do so. But Orton’s presence determines when and whether or not the Cowboys should start thinking about grooming another young quarterback who can potentially take over in a few years.

If Romo were to experience more back issues and Orton’s gone, Weeden’s the new starting quarterback. And there would be no young, promising, highly-touted backup behind him if the Cowboys don’t address the position at some point in the draft.

The Weeden deal made sense. They wanted to get a chance to develop the former Cleveland and Oklahoma State quarterback on an affordable contract because they liked him out of college. He provides NFL experience at a good rate as a backup, but the 30-year-old can’t really be groomed as a long-term option as a future starter.

There should be multiple choices available in the middle rounds of this year’s draft at quarterback, from Aaron Murray to Jimmy Garoppolo to Tom Savage to Zach Mettenberger and David Fales. By selecting one outside the first couple rounds, that player wouldn’t need to be forced to step in immediately unless dictated by injuries.

If Orton stays, grabbing one isn’t essential. But if Orton’s gone and Romo can’t stay healthy, it’d be encouraging to know if Weeden’s starting at quarterback that there’s another young option available for some point in the near future.

The Cowboys don’t want to be stuck in another situation like they had in the early 2000s, with a revolving door at the most important position on the team.

At 31 years old, Orton’s got enough good years ahead of him that the Cowboys wouldn’t need to search for their future quarterback just yet. But if his future remains in the balance, now’s the time to select and start grooming a young quarterback they can keep on the roster alongside Weeden.
--------------

Counterpoint: With or Without Orton, Drafting QB Isn’t Crucial

Posted 54 minutes ago

Nick Eatman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – First of all, let’s get this out there: I think Kyle Orton will play this year.

He has yet to miss anything that is mandatory. And if he truly doesn’t love the offseason work, he certainly wouldn’t be the only veteran player in NFL history to feel that way.

Of course, if he’s so tired of football to the point he’ll give back $3 million, then that would indeed put him in a very small (and maybe even crazy) group of players in the history of this game. When it comes to large sums of money, it’s usually a one-way street.

So, that being said, I could see Orton coming back once again and being the No. 2 quarterback.

However, even if the feeling here at Valley Ranch was Orton would not be returning next year, I don’t think it means you’ve got to draft a quarterback.

Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of taking one, unless you can absolutely see a role for him. I hear all the time how fans want the Cowboys to just take a quarterback “in the third or fourth.” Yeah, that sounds good, but maybe I just remember Stephen McGee and how having a project like that actually affects the roster.

Whether or not he’s ready to play, he’s going to make the team. That’s three quarterbacks now on the 53-man roster. With the injuries this team has sustained over the last few years, they can’t afford to have a third QB just sitting there being inactive every week.

So let’s get to some real names. The third or fourth round would include guys like LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, Georgia’s Aaron Murray – both SEC guys who had knee injuries last year but should be cleared for camp. It also includes David Fales from San Jose State, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron perhaps and possibly Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage.

Again, we’re talking about quarterbacks and there’s a chance many of these Top-10 passers are gone by the end of the second round.

But even if they last to the third, I’m not taking one for the Cowboys. I doubt they’d come in and be better than Brandon Weeden. So that means they’re not going to be No. 2 even if Orton sits out. And if Orton does play, now you’re forced to keep the draft pick.

Isn’t this why you got Weeden in the first place? It’s a free look at a guy you had a second-round grade on two years ago. Forget about his age – he won’t be playing for the next 4-5 years anyway.

To me, Weeden is your mid-round quarterback to take a chance on and you can do that without using a draft pick.

The reason I’ve gone this far without mentioning Tony Romo’s back injury is because I just don’t see the point of discussing it in terms of the draft. Romo’s back really doesn’t affect it to me. If it flares up on him, you don’t really want to call on a rookie anyway, right?

If Romo’s back prevents him from playing more than a couple of years down the road, then it’s likely you’re going to draft someone next year when the crop of 10-12 can’t-miss quarterbacks are ready to get picked.

To me, I’ve always thought you take a quarterback when you really need one.

Now, if you’ve got a player on your board in the later rounds, sure take him and see if he can develop. Obviously, that’s how the starting quarterback got here 11 years ago.

But when it comes to draft picks, I’m not going there this year, regardless of what Orton decides. Even though I’ll be shocked if that decision isn’t made.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No and in fact I would probably cut Orton before the season starts if he doesn't retire. Clearly Orton's heart isn't in it anymore. What's the point in letting him sit on the bench earning more money? Even if he is our best backup option, we are an 8-8 team with Romo as a starter more then likely. So what does Orton do for us? Carry us to a slightly worse record if Romo gets hurt?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No and in fact I would probably cut Orton before the season starts if he doesn't retire. Clearly Orton's heart isn't in it anymore. What's the point in letting him sit on the bench earning more money? Even if he is our best backup option, we are an 8-8 team with Romo as a starter more then likely. So what does Orton do for us? Carry us to a slightly worse record if Romo gets hurt?
I would have cut him after this little bit about not showing up for OTAs. They had to go to the bother of signing a camp arm because he decided he wasn't going to step up.

If the guy is supposedly our potential leader if Romo goes down, who the hell wants a guy who doesn't feel compelled to show up for workouts? What rational excuse would he have to not show up?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. As I said when Dallas picked up Weeden, it appears that Orton may not be on the team this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would have cut him after this little bit about not showing up for OTAs. They had to go to the bother of signing a camp arm because he decided he wasn't going to step up.

If the guy is supposedly our potential leader if Romo goes down, who the hell wants a guy who doesn't feel compelled to show up for workouts? What rational excuse would he have to not show up?
The only reason I would wait is because I'm hoping he will decide to retire first and we can save more against the cap. But I'm guessing he won't because he has to pay a lot of signing bonus back to the Cowboys if he wants to retire. Probably easier for him to just lazily go through the motions until the Cowboys cut him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The only reason I would wait is because I'm hoping he will decide to retire first and we can save more against the cap. But I'm guessing he won't because he has to pay a lot of signing bonus back to the Cowboys if he wants to retire. Probably easier for him to just lazily go through the motions until the Cowboys cut him.
I find it amazing that nobody has admitted they have actually spoke with Orton.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I find it amazing that nobody has admitted they have actually spoke with Orton.
Garrett hasn't admitted it yet, but Stephen said Jason talked to him.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Bringing up McGee..really? Hell I'm an Aggie and cringed when we drafted him

Ohnoes we tried drafting a qb in the middle rounds ONE TIME and it didn't work...better not do that again.

smfh

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of taking one, unless you can absolutely see a role for him. I hear all the time how fans want the Cowboys to just take a quarterback “in the third or fourth.” Yeah, that sounds good, but maybe I just remember Stephen McGee and how having a project like that actually affects the roster.

Whether or not he’s ready to play, he’s going to make the team. That’s three quarterbacks now on the 53-man roster. With the injuries this team has sustained over the last few years, they can’t afford to have a third QB just sitting there being inactive every week.

So let’s get to some real names. The third or fourth round would include guys like LSU’s Zach Mettenberger, Georgia’s Aaron Murray – both SEC guys who had knee injuries last year but should be cleared for camp. It also includes David Fales from San Jose State, Alabama’s A.J. McCarron perhaps and possibly Pittsburgh’s Tom Savage.

Again, we’re talking about quarterbacks and there’s a chance many of these Top-10 passers are gone by the end of the second round.

But even if they last to the third, I’m not taking one for the Cowboys. I doubt they’d come in and be better than Brandon Weeden. So that means they’re not going to be No. 2 even if Orton sits out. And if Orton does play, now you’re forced to keep the draft pick.

Isn’t this why you got Weeden in the first place?
This makes too much sense.

Why draft a guy unless you suspect Romo is on the way out, and then you grab a top prospect and not some project in the 4th or 5th round. 4th rounders don't start for any real NFL team.

Romo, Warner, and Brady will be the lone exceptions to the 1st-3rd round rule for a very long time.

Brady because he was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke, Warner had both the World and Arena Leagues to develop his talent, and Romo had an OC who went to his school and conspired with a legendary HC to stash him on the roster while they developed him for years under the nose of the incompetent GM content with taking longshots on ex-baseball players. Even still, it took the failure of an established starter for each to get his chance.

The Brady's don't get missed any more, the World League is dead, and there are no Parcells/Payton combinations out there able to mentor and nurture fledgling prospects for years behind an incompetent GM.

Today's GM's demand results and HC's don't have time or reps to cultivate talent.

Cotton

Staff member
This makes too much sense.

Why draft a guy unless you suspect Romo is on the way out, and then you grab a top prospect and not some project in the 4th or 5th round. 4th rounders don't start for any real NFL team.

Romo, Warner, and Brady will be the lone exceptions to the 1st-3rd round rule for a very long time.

Brady because he was a once-in-a-lifetime fluke, Warner had both the World and Arena Leagues to develop his talent, and Romo had an OC who went to his school and conspired with a legendary HC to stash him on the roster while they developed him for years under the nose of the incompetent GM content with taking longshots on ex-baseball players. Even still, it took the failure of an established starter for each to get his chance.

The Brady's don't get missed any more, the World League is dead, and there are no Parcells/Payton combinations out there able to mentor and nurture fledgling prospects for years behind an incompetent GM.

Today's GM's demand results and HC's don't have time or reps to cultivate talent.
The thing is, you don't know this, and to me it's worth the later pick risking that choice just damn near every year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The thing is, you don't know this, and to me it's worth the later pick risking that choice just damn near every year.
Good luck. It would be the first time in 1440 tries that it succeeded.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Since Brady, there have been 1440 picks in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds, not counting compensatory selections. Please list the starters from that pool.
Yep. Even Romo was not in that group he was a walk on.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yep. Even Romo was not in that group he was a walk on.
And Warner before that had the World League to develop. Somehow the notion of a late round developmental QB you take every year has entranced people into believing it's something you should do. It's more like chasing a pipe dream.

Cotton

Staff member
It's worth the risk for that late of a pick, IMO.

Carl

RIP Brother
To me, if the Cowboys trade down again in the 1st, as I suspect they will and acquire another 3rd; I can see them taking a QB. But only if they have that extra third. Of the three SEC QB's, I'd personally go McCarron, Mettenberger then Murray. And I am not sure I would take Murray in the third.

Top Bottom