NBA Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

I get that your chances of finding impact players outside the top 5 are greatly diminished, but you can't use that as an excuse to get Ibaka and say the 11th pick is worthless when Ibaka himself was drafted 24th.
There will always be exceptions to the rule, but the odds are heavily in favor of non-impact players being found in that range. If you can use it on someone that can be impactful, you should. Plus with this draft being so weak in depth, it made even more sense. Boston picking 3rd didn't even yield a player expected to be great and that's one reason I was up for giving it up for Okafor.

Jiggyfly

Banned
1big gave you my answer for Ibaka, but I would also add that Oladipo was never coming into his own. He's a nice player who can compliment goo players but he'll never be one that will carry you. On a bad team like Orlando, that's doesn't get you very far. Similar comments could be said about Ibaka, but at least he fills a void for their biggest weakness. As for the 1st round pick, anything outside the top 3-5 is typically worthless. They picked 11th. The chances of them getting a starter and impact player like Ibaka has been is minimal.
I agree Olipadipo was a bad fit in Orlando but it seems they gave up a bit much with the pick and Ibaka going into FA.

D

Deuce

I agree Olipadipo was a bad fit in Orlando but it seems they gave up a bit much with the pick and Ibaka going into FA.
That doesn't matter cause Oladipo is also going into FA and Orlando didn't have plans to resign him due to his lack of offensive development.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Evan Turner agreed to a 4 year $70M deal with Portland.

MLB and NBA money has really taken off in recent years. If I'm an NFL player I'm looking at the NFL system and asking "what the hell". I know there are more players to pay, but still....

Jiggyfly

Banned
That doesn't matter cause Oladipo is also going into FA and Orlando didn't have plans to resign him due to his lack of offensive development.
Oladipo is only RFA after next year so OKC has 2 years of control.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Clander Parson's on a 5 year max with a balky knee.

That is the worst contract so far IMO.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Grizzlies owner

Jiggyfly

Banned

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't believe for one second that he would sign with the Bucks.

The Knicks? Maybe....but I think he's just trying to get Miami to pay up.

D

Deuce

It's probably just a courtesy meeting since he went to Marquette, but I think it would be cool if he went there.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There are rumors the Bulls are in on Wade but I don't believe for one second that he's going anywhere but Miami.

In general though, these contracts are completely outrageous. Conley getting 30+ a year, Parsons nearly 25 a year, some scrub named Solomon Hill getting about 13 a year, Dellevadova getting nearly 10 a year to play like 20 minutes a game, it's insanity.

They should just get rid of max salaries, let teams pay guys like LeBron and Durant 60 million a year and then the inflated market for these marginal to average players will self-correct.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I don't believe for one second that he would sign with the Bucks.

The Knicks? Maybe....but I think he's just trying to get Miami to pay up.
You never know. Wade went to college at Marquette plus he's a Midwest kid (from Chicago).

As an aside, are the Mavericks even trying to sign any of these overpriced free agents or are they just content bottoming out in hopes of getting into the lottery next year?

1bigfan13

Staff member
There are rumors the Bulls are in on Wade but I don't believe for one second that he's going anywhere but Miami.

In general though, these contracts are completely outrageous. Conley getting 30+ a year, Parsons nearly 25 a year, some scrub named Solomon Hill getting about 13 a year, Dellevadova getting nearly 10 a year to play like 20 minutes a game, it's insanity.

They should just get rid of max salaries, let teams pay guys like LeBron and Durant 60 million a year and then the inflated market for these marginal to average players will self-correct.
Here's a throwback for you. I remember openly wondering WTF when Jim Mcilvaine signed his 7 year $30-something million dollar contract with Seattle.

Mcilvaine literally averaged about 2 ppg and 2 rpg and he landed that contract.

That contract is the equivalent of the Mozgov contract. Actually it's probably worse. Mozgov is a much better player than McIlvaine ever was.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I remember when the Sixers paid big contracts to Scott Williams and later to Lucious Harris. And others. They regretted those deals for years.

A lot of these deals will be no different. The cap looks cavernous right now, but these things correct themselves. And probably quickly. And once the real true stars get their money a large chunk of the league will be in cap hell again.

The smart teams will mostly being sitting out. You don't spend when everyone else is spending and has money, you spend when it's a buyer's market and few teams have money. Obviously exceptions for guys like Durant.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You never know. Wade went to college at Marquette plus he's a Midwest kid (from Chicago).

As an aside, are the Mavericks even trying to sign any of these overpriced free agents or are they just content bottoming out in hopes of getting into the lottery next year?
They wanted to offer max contracts to Conley and Whiteside.

Rumor floating around now is that Conley was very interested but once Whiteside resigned with Miami, it ended any chance the Mavs had of getting Conley.

Now I hope Dirk signs with GSW so Cuban will be forced to finally rebuild.

Jiggyfly

Banned

YIKES

Top Bottom