Super Bowl XLIX Gameday Chatter | Patriots vs Seahawks | 2-1-2015

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Could you imagine if Romo threw that pick? And Garrett was the head coach? Good thing Seattle, Wilson and Carroll have a Super Bowl in their back pocket.
Well, just think of how all pissed we were when we lined up in shotgun and threw the ball on 3rd and 1 just before the end of the 1st half at Green Bay.

It's just stupid in every sense of the word to do something like that when you have a physical run game with a bruising RB, not to mention we were 3-3 in that exact scenario running the ball up to that point.

Can you imagine if we did that with 20 seconds to go at the goal line in the SB?

Ugh, I'm just glad it's not us having to deal with that today. I'd be sick.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Losing 2 Super Bowls counts when it's bookended by 4 wins.

Are the Cowboys of the 70's a dynasty? Two Super Bowl losses bookended by two wins? Always right there. Always in NFC Championship game. Didn't go 10 years between title either. I believe they went 6 years. I didn't go back and look, but there had to be a lot of the same players on those two Super Bowl winning teams, unlike the 2003 and 2014 Pats.

How can a team go 10 seasons without winning and that be considered dominant? That's the part I don't get. Yes, they dominated the AFC East, but never won a Super Bowl. That's the goal.

It all open to interpretation.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Wow.

data

Forbes #1
Are the Cowboys of the 70's a dynasty? Two Super Bowl losses bookended by two wins? Always right there. Always in NFC Championship game. Didn't go 10 years between title either. I believe they went 6 years. I didn't go back and look, but there had to be a lot of the same players on those two Super Bowl winning teams, unlike the 2003 and 2014 Pats.

How can a team go 10 seasons without winning and that be considered dominant? That's the part I don't get. Yes, they dominated the AFC East, but never won a Super Bowl. That's the goal.

It all open to interpretation.
The 70s Cowboys aren't considered 'the' dynasty, obviously, because the Steelers have 4 wins. Who has more SB wins than the Patriots in the 2000s?

GShock

DCC 4Life
I was not overwhelmed with either team last night. I thought the Pats offense was downright ordinary, and not just because of the Seattle defense. Zero downfield passing game. Pats defense, especially their secondary was more impressive, but I'm not sure that Seattle's collection of stiffs at WR were a huge test. I was surprised that Seattle did not try to exploit Wilson's running more late in the game. Bennett was a beast. Just unblockable.

But that call. My God, that call.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Doug Baldwin: Reason for TD celebration between me and “guy it was directed at”

Posted by Josh Alper on February 2, 2015, 7:35 AM EST

At some point before the Seahawks opted to throw rather than run the ball with Marshawn Lynch, it looked like their most questionable decision of the day was one wide receiver Doug Baldwin made after scoring a touchdown to put the team ahead 24-14 in the third quarter.

After scoring, Baldwin mimed pulling down his pants and squatting as if on a commode before dropping the ball to the ground in a manner similar to the one people use to drop human waste into commodes. Baldwin was penalized on the field, although NBC cut away from bringing Baldwin’s interpretive moment to a mass audience. It will remain open to interpretation as Baldwin declined to discuss his inspiration after the contest.

“That is between me and the guy it was directed at,” Baldwin said.

Baldwin did say it wasn’t directed at Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis, who was covering him on the touchdown play and who appeared to be the target of some mocking from Seahawks corner Richard Sherman after the play. No matter the target of the faux-defecation, Baldwin’s likely to wind up paying a fine for it before the league flushes away the 2014 season once and for all.
-----
Weak explanation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Darrell Bevell hints Ricardo Lockette could have been more physical on pivotal play

Posted by Mike Wilkening on February 2, 2015, 1:02 AM EST

Because it ended in the game-clinching interception in Super Bowl XLIX, the Seahawks’ decision to throw on the New England one-yard line in the final minute Sunday night will be a part of NFL lore for years to come.

Criticism has fallen on Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell for the second-down call resulting in an interception by Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler, securing a 28-24 win for New England. And in the immediate aftermath, Carroll showed accountability, taking the blame for the call and explaining time and again to reporters why Seattle was throwing instead of handing off to Marshawn Lynch.

For his part, Bevell has also taken ownership of the call, per John Boyle of the Everett (Wash.) Herald.

However, Bevell also indicated wide receiver Ricardo Lockette — the intended target on the play — could have showed more strength finishing his route. Lockette was knocked off the ball by Butler, who ran through the receiver and made the pick in a spectacular effort.

“We could have done a better job staying strong on the ball,” Bevell said afterwards, according to Gregg Bell of the Tacoma News Tribune. (A nod to SBNation.com for finding the News Tribune‘s report.)

The Seattle Times’ Bob Condotta also observed Bevell had suggested Lockette needed to be stronger, as did Boyle of the Everett Herald.

The lamenting about the Seahawks’ final offensive play won’t stop anytime soon. While Bevell might be right about Lockette, there’s no escaping that Seattle passed at a curious time — and failed.
-----------
Bevell is throwing Lockette under the bus now...nice.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was not overwhelmed with either team last night. I thought the Pats offense was downright ordinary, and not just because of the Seattle defense. Zero downfield passing game. Pats defense, especially their secondary was more impressive, but I'm not sure that Seattle's collection of stiffs at WR were a huge test. I was surprised that Seattle did not try to exploit Wilson's running more late in the game. Bennett was a beast. Just unblockable.

But that call. My God, that call.
It's amazing to me that Seattle's offense is good enough to win in the playoffs. Their offense literally consists of run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and chuck it deep. Their passing game is down right bad. Almost no intermediate passing at all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It's amazing to me that Seattle's offense is good enough to win in the playoffs. Their offense literally consists of run the ball, run the ball, run the ball and chuck it deep. Their passing game is down right bad. Almost no intermediate passing at all.
Yup, same here.

I don't know how they've been to back to back Super Bowls with an offense like that. I know their defense is really good, but it isn't an all-timer like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, so it's amazing that they've had so much success with such a mediocre offense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think so. The Broncos over the Packers is the one that sticks out most to me.
The top 5 I've seen would be:

Giants/Bills

Broncos/Packers

Patriots/Panthers

Cardinals/Steelers

And last night.

vince

Not So New Member
Yup, same here.

I don't know how they've been to back to back Super Bowls with an offense like that. I know their defense is really good, but it isn't an all-timer like the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens, so it's amazing that they've had so much success with such a mediocre offense.
That's what happens when you get a first round bye and you get lucky by playing against a team with an injured QB in Rodgers.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I will say the game did not feel like a Super Bowl in the first half. Maybe it was because I did not care much about the game, but the flashing lights and other stuff I associate with it just did not happen. Second half felt like a Super Bowl.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

:laff

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what happens when you get a first round bye and you get lucky by playing against a team with an injured QB in Rodgers.
They got pretty lucky against the Packers. They played a team with a sub .500 record for their first game. Just kind of feels like everything lined up perfectly for them to make the Superbowl.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The top 5 I've seen would be:

Giants/Bills

Broncos/Packers

Patriots/Panthers

Cardinals/Steelers

And last night.
I'd have to put Titans/Rams in there. In fact last night's game reminded me of that - trailing team has a chance to win in the closing seconds but loses it at the goal line.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Even NE is basically Brady throwing screens and short slants to #3/#4 type WR's with Gronk as his primary middle to deep receiver. No run game, no legit #1 WR.

Amazing what passes for SB teams these days.

Top Bottom