NFL Coach/GM Chatter

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Report: Jeff Ireland joining Saints personnel department

Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2015, 9:56 AM EST

The Saints lost a couple of members of their personnel department to the Bears recently and they’ve reportedly brought in a familiar name to help them move forward in the 2015 season.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Saints are hiring former Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland to do college scouting for the team. The Saints saw director of pro personnel Ryan Pace become the General Manager in Chicago and he took area scout Josh Lucas with him to be the Bears’ director of player personnel.

Ireland was fired by the Dolphins following the 2013 season after six years on the job. Those years were filled with increasing amounts of fan discontent with Ireland’s performance, leading to airplane banners over Sun Life Stadium and few tears when owner Stephen Ross decided to make a change last season.

Ireland was a draft consultant for the Seahawks after getting fired last year, but it didn’t turn into a long-term position with the club. He and Saints coach Sean Payton both worked for the Cowboys at the same time in the early 2000s.

Evan Woodbery of the New Orleans Times-Picayune reports that Saints General Manager Mickey Loomis said he didn’t know what reporters were talking about when asked about Schefter’s report. Loomis, who is in Mobile for the Senior Bowl, is expected to have an extended chat with the media later this week.

Cotton

Staff member
Sounds like Dennis Allen is going to the Saints as well. Good get for them.

Cotton

Staff member

This is good news.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is good news.
Damn right it is. The Redskins now will settle for Marinelli's son in law.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All that has been reported is that he is joining the Saints in a "senior defensive role".
Interim defensive coordinator after Sean Payton chokes Rob Ryan by midseason.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Congrats...I guess.

D

Deuce

Congrats...I guess.
It's good for them. He can focus on helping them get their OL in order. Maybe the worst in the league.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Marrone gets another HC job in the near future then he's fine. He's going to pocket $4 mil from the Bills this year and now also is assist. HC/OL coach for the Jags.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It's good for them. He can focus on helping them get their OL in order. Maybe the worst in the league.
Yeah...it is good for them...but to go from a HC job to an asst in Jax? FAIL

D

Deuce

Yeah...it is good for them...but to go from a HC job to an asst in Jax? FAIL
Absolutely. He overplayed his value and I think word got out about him and his attitude when working with him. I'm guessing he'll have a HC job next year, whether it's in the NFL or back in college.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Does anyone remember some fans biting their nails over "losing" Ireland?

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This douche on offense and I believe Tarver on defense is a huge step backwards for them.
Yep and that's fine with me. The only things that top 49er fans' tears are Eagles, Redskins, Giants and Steelers' fan tears. Toss in the 14 year old bandwagon that Patriots' fans have been riding for good measure.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Does anyone remember some fans biting their nails over "losing" Ireland?
I remember some people were upset that he wasn't named "GM" here, so we could retain him. I didn't like the guy because of his stupid love for QB position change picks and kick returners who couldn't play a position.

Top Bottom