Conference Championship Chatter | 1/18/2015

dallen

Senior Tech
Am I wrong for thinking that the Packers act like petulant children at times? Some of the post-game comments against Seattle and a few years ago after losing to either NYG or SF in the playoffs. A bunch of people drove to the fucking airport to cheer you after you BLEW IT with the Super Bowl on the line and most of you can't even acknowledge them? Nelson walking by with his hood up, really?
Yeah, that's a pretty bad video. It sucks you lost, but those fans took the time out of their day to come welcome you back home after the loss. At least take a moment to shake a few hands and sign a few autographs. Other than Aaron Rodgers it isn't like a lot of them are getting recognized outside Green Bay anyway so they don't get the slack a George Clooney would get from me. You want privacy, go on vacation outside Wisconsin, but while you're there take the time to appreciate the people that support your career.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Rodgers is even questioning the playcalling for the Packerd...felt they were way too conservative. You don't normally here that kind of chirping there.
Conservative?

So let me get this straight-- the running game is blowing Seattle off the line up and down the field and gets you into field goal position.

It does this because Seattle can't defend both the run and the pass, not facing an OL the quality of the Packers' and a QB with the arm of Rodgers.

So you go the opposite of conservative on 2nd and 7 and empty backfield it from shotgun ahead 16-7 in FG range, and you have the gall to complain? Seattle sees "PASS!", loads up to stop it peels their ears back and suddenly it's 3rd and 7.

So what do you do then? AGAIN with the empty backfield!! And of course it was a massive FAIL, a made FG, and a lost game.

Fuck you Rodgers, you are an idiot if you think McCarthy went conservative and are lucky you played your lone Superbowl in a stadium with perfect passing conditions against a team with broken CBs and Safeties.

That's what separated a pass-happy freak like Dan Marino from an all-time great like Joe Montana.

Down late against the Cowboys and facing a nickel defense, Montana calls time out to get Bill Walsh to start calling running plays to Bill Ring because he knew the Cowboys couldn't win that matchup consistently.

Ring starts blowing Dallas off the ball, and so the Cowboys rush back into standard defense and Montana starts throwing deep with double moves. Then he throws "The Catch".

Dan Marino or Aaron Rodgers don't have the mental makeup to make that kind of call. Not like Montana and now apparently Russell Wilson too.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Say what you want about Seattle...you have to love their never give up attitude.

Many teams have packed it in with 4 minutes left on the clock and only down by a field goal or touchdown.

I was pretty damn impressed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Conservative?

So let me get this straight-- the running game is blowing Seattle off the line up and down the field and gets you into field goal position.

It does this because Seattle can't defend both the run and the pass, not facing an OL the quality of the Packers' and a QB with the arm of Rodgers.

So you go the opposite of conservative on 2nd and 7 and empty backfield it from shotgun ahead 16-7 in FG range, and you have the gall to complain? Seattle sees "PASS!", loads up to stop it peels their ears back and suddenly it's 3rd and 7.

So what do you do then? AGAIN with the empty backfield!! And of course it was a massive FAIL, a made FG, and a lost game.

Fuck you Rodgers, you are an idiot if you think McCarthy went conservative and are lucky you played your lone Superbowl in a stadium with perfect passing conditions against a team with broken CBs and Safeties.

That's what separated a pass-happy freak like Dan Marino from an all-time great like Joe Montana.

Down late against the Cowboys and facing a nickel defense, Montana calls time out to get Bill Walsh to start calling running plays to Bill Ring because he knew the Cowboys couldn't win that matchup consistently.

Ring starts blowing Dallas off the ball, and so the Cowboys rush back into standard defense and Montana starts throwing deep with double moves. Then he throws "The Catch".

Dan Marino or Aaron Rodgers don't have the mental makeup to make that kind of call. Not like Montana and now apparently Russell Wilson too.
Good grief man...less is more sometimes. Towards the end there Seattle was stopping the run. This gashing of the Seattle D that you are hinting at was just not there. Starks had a big run, but the rest of his runs were 4 carries, 12 yards...and Lacy finished with 21 for 73...it worked early, but not late.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good grief man...less is more sometimes. Towards the end there Seattle was stopping the run. This gashing of the Seattle D that you are hinting at was just not there. Starks had a big run, but the rest of his runs were 4 carries, 12 yards...and Lacy finished with 21 for 73...it worked early, but not late.
You mean this critical 3rd quarter drive?

44-J.Starks left tackle pushed ob at SEA 43 for 32 yards (25-R.Sherman).
27-E.Lacy left tackle to SEA 43 for 5 yards (20-J.Lane; 93-O.Schofield).
44-J.Starks left guard to SEA 40 for 3 yards (56-C.Avril).
12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 89-R.Rodgers to SEA 33 for 7 yards (31-K.Chancellor).
44-J.Starks left tackle to SEA 30 for 3 yards (20-J.Lane).
12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete deep right to 44-J.Starks.
12-A.Rodgers pass incomplete short left to 44-J.Starks [51-B.Irvin].

The last two plays are a ridiculous empty backfield. Seattle's defense can go full coverage and max pass-rush. The threat of another run is huge, especially on 2nd down. Green Bay's coaches just don't get how important the threat of a run is, even if it goes for zero yards.

That 2nd and seven empty set was nearly as bad as the empty backfield shotgun play Dallas used on 3rd and on on their last possession of the first half last week. Touchdown wins the game, FG... well didn't.

I understand Rodgers complaining he's "only" used three times on the drive because he's a QB, but he's wrong.

If you don't get this, then never mind.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

12-A.Rodgers pass short middle to 89-R.Rodgers to SEA 33 for 7 yards (31-K.Chancellor).

The last two plays are a ridiculous empty backfield. Seattle's defense can go full coverage and max pass-rush. The threat of another run is huge, especially on 2nd down. Green Bay's coaches just don't get how important the threat of a run is, even if it goes for zero yards.

That 2nd and seven empty set was nearly as bad as the empty backfield shotgun play Dallas used on 3rd and on on their last possession of the first half last week. Touchdown wins the game, FG... well didn't.

I understand Rodgers complaining he's "only" used three times on the drive because he's a QB, but he's wrong.

Sounds like they accidentally borrowed our playbook after the game last week.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Again...they had one big run 2 3 yarders and a 5 yarder...OMG, gashing them! The 2 plays you highlighted were on 2d and 7 and 3d and 7...not an uncommon practice to throw in those spots, particularly when Rodgers is your QB.

I don't remember you pointing out this flawed strategy when they salted away the Cowboys game with the pass.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Am I wrong for thinking that the Packers act like petulant children at times? Some of the post-game comments against Seattle and a few years ago after losing to either NYG or SF in the playoffs. A bunch of people drove to the fucking airport to cheer you after you BLEW IT with the Super Bowl on the line and most of you can't even acknowledge them? Nelson walking by with his hood up, really?
I agree. I was thinking the same thing.

People came from miles away and I'm assuming it's something like 1 or 2 AM when the players arrived. So the fans go out of their way to show you some appreciation and loyalty....this after the Packers pulled off one of the biggest choke jobs in post-season history, and you can't even acknowledge the fans with a smile, handshake, thank you, etc.

I'm sure the Packer players are good guys but that was a douche move.

I get it they're still bummed about blowing that game but show a little appreciation for the fans who still have your back.

I hate when athletes forget where they came from. I'm sure it wasn't that long ago that many of them were in the fans' shoes, clamoring for a brief moment with their favorite athlete.

Show some empathy and humility, it goes a long way.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Again...they had one big run 2 3 yarders and a 5 yarder...OMG, gashing them! The 2 plays you highlighted were on 2d and 7 and 3d and 7...not an uncommon practice to throw in those spots, particularly when Rodgers is your QB.

I don't remember you pointing out this flawed strategy when they salted away the Cowboys game with the pass.
I'm not opposed to the choice of a pass (Hell I'm fine with it being a pass), just the idiotic exclusion of Lacy/Starks from the backfield.

Once that happened the Hawks know it's a pass. Why make the job of an elite defense playing at home 100% easier?

Pass rushers: peel ears back. Linebackers: blitz or cover. DBs: blitz or cover.

With Rogers' injury you could even exclude the draw from the equation too.

That simple move cost them time and again and lost them the game in that instance.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
From Packers forum:

mxr124 wrote:
Is it outta line to request that this thread is locked up? I think we've all had our chance to speak our peace and we all probably need a tiny hint of closure.

favre4life2184 wrote:
I enjoy reading about what people think. That is part of what makes football such a great game. Its so hard to achieve greatness and every team strives for it (31/32 teams fail). Love the passion that this fan base has. I think its good to decompress, even if its over stated. It helps us bring to light what needs improvement for the coming season.

mxr124 wrote:
I dunno man. I get what you're saying, but to me this just feels like we crapped our pants and now are just sitting around in it.

---

:lol

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
From Packers forum:

mxr124 wrote:
Is it outta line to request that this thread is locked up? I think we've all had our chance to speak our peace and we all probably need a tiny hint of closure.

favre4life2184 wrote:
I enjoy reading about what people think. That is part of what makes football such a great game. Its so hard to achieve greatness and every team strives for it (31/32 teams fail). Love the passion that this fan base has. I think its good to decompress, even if its over stated. It helps us bring to light what needs improvement for the coming season.

mxr124 wrote:
I dunno man. I get what you're saying, but to me this just feels like we crapped our pants and now are just sitting around in it.

---

:lol
Did you say been there done that just last week?

Top Bottom