Archer: Deep pass-rush class could help Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Deep pass-rush class could help Cowboys
February, 25, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' most obvious need is finding help for the pass rush.

It might help them that their seems to be plenty of pass-rushers in this year's draft based on what was on hand at the scouting combine in Indianapolis.

When the Cowboys ran a 3-4 defense from 2005-12, they had to focus their pass-rush attention on certain body types. DeMarcus Ware was the prototype as the college defensive end turned 3-4 outside linebacker.

With a dozen or so teams running a 3-4, the Cowboys had to hope their needs at the position matched up with what was available in a particular draft. Now that they run a 4-3 defense, the Cowboys don't have to make projections because of a position change.

The Cowboys do have distinctive differences in what they look for in left and right defensive ends. At left defensive end, they want a little more size and strength to hold up against the run. At right defensive end, it's purely about athleticism and pass rush.

In other words, it's what the Cowboys had in Ware. While the job descriptions of a 3-4 outside linebacker and 4-3 right defensive end might be different, the body types are similar.

Some of the top draft prospects, like Randy Gregory, Dante Fowler Jr. and Shane Ray could fit either scheme. Clemson's Vic Beasley came in bigger than many expected (246 pounds) and stronger (35 reps on the bench press) while maintaining his speed. Kentucky's Bud Dupree checked in at 269 pounds and was listed as a linebacker but did not do the drills because of a groin injury. He still ran a 4.56-second 40-yard dash. Virginia's Eli Harold could work his way into first-round discussions after his combine workout.

Pass-rushers go quickly in the draft. Last year the Cowboys had three right defensive ends in Jadeveon Clowney, Anthony Barr and DeMarcus Lawrence. Clowney and Barr were gone in the top-nine picks. The Cowboys knew they needed a right defensive end as they entered the second round and traded up to the 34th overall pick to take Lawrence

ESPN Insider Todd McShay has teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars, Washington Redskins, Atlanta Falcons and New York Giants looking for pass-rushers in the top 10. The Philadelphia Eagles, Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers have similar pass-rush needs before the Cowboys pick at No. 27.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So who are our favorites this year? I've been AWOL lately (and probably will continue to be).

Not sure I love the back-of-the-first DL options. Might prefer an OT, WR or trade back or something.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So who are our favorites this year? I've been AWOL lately (and probably will continue to be).

Not sure I love the back-of-the-first DL options. Might prefer an OT, WR or trade back or something.
So far we've looked at most of the top prospects.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Big Alvin Dupree fan...also like Nate Orchard, Trey Flowers, Mario Edwards, Preston Smith, Hau'Oli Kikaha...and secretly root for Anthony Chickillo.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I like Dupree. Feel like those other names are second rounders maybe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Dupree. Feel like those other names are second rounders maybe.
I really like Dupree. The guy is almost 270lbs already and he is still running a sub 4.6. Plus he was productive. I actually think he may be big enough that you could line him up at LE even though he was a college LBer. I know some experts knock his consistency but the plays he made looked pretty damn good. I'm guessing he is gone by our pick but I think he is a great fit for Dallas.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Dupree and Brown are no-brainers to me, if they're there take them, I feel just about the same as Goldman, just not quite as strongly. A guy like Odighizuwa from UCLA is worth the pick from a talent perspective but he may not check out medically. Danielle Hunter is a boom or bust type of prospect who has the prototypical frame at 6-5, 6-6 and about 250 or so, he's strong against the run but still very raw. He's a guy that may turn in to a monster under Marinelli though.

There are a bunch of guys I'd prefer after a trade down, including guys like Hunter listed above, but also guys like Nate Orchard, Carl Davis, Michael Bennett, Preston Smith and perhaps Mario Edwards Jr. Obviously I'd love any of these guys in the 2nd, and I also like Chickillo and Flowers as Carp mentioned in the 2nd.

I must say though that whatever we do along the DL, I trust Marinelli. Even if we took a guy like Eli Harold who I think is purely a 3-4 OLB, if Marinelli looks at him and sees a guy who fits his scheme, I trust him after what he got out of the DL this past year.

However, if we don't re-sign Free or Parnell, the BPA at 27 could definitely be an OL like Flowers, Clemmings or Peat, but if we re-sign one of them that obviously goes out the window. If my top targets along the DL aren't there (Dupree, Brown, Goldman) I'd be very tempted to just take Eric Kendricks from UCLA. Who the hell knows what will happen with nutcase McClain and man of glass Lee, Durant would be nice depth but is aging and somewhat injury prone, and Hitchens looks like a bona fide steal but you don't want to roll him out there with nothing around him.

Kendricks is as safe a pick as you can get late in the 1st in my opinion. He's athletic, extremely productive, loves the game, is a leader and can play all 3 downs. You could easily argue that Bobby Wagner was the most important piece of Seattle's defense this year and considering our LB situation, I see big time value in a guy who can play all 3 downs and probably play more than one position.

D

Deuce

Dupree and Brown are no-brainers to me, if they're there take them, I feel just about the same as Goldman, just not quite as strongly. A guy like Odighizuwa from UCLA is worth the pick from a talent perspective but he may not check out medically. Danielle Hunter is a boom or bust type of prospect who has the prototypical frame at 6-5, 6-6 and about 250 or so, he's strong against the run but still very raw. He's a guy that may turn in to a monster under Marinelli though.

There are a bunch of guys I'd prefer after a trade down, including guys like Hunter listed above, but also guys like Nate Orchard, Carl Davis, Michael Bennett, Preston Smith and perhaps Mario Edwards Jr. Obviously I'd love any of these guys in the 2nd, and I also like Chickillo and Flowers as Carp mentioned in the 2nd.

I must say though that whatever we do along the DL, I trust Marinelli. Even if we took a guy like Eli Harold who I think is purely a 3-4 OLB, if Marinelli looks at him and sees a guy who fits his scheme, I trust him after what he got out of the DL this past year.

However, if we don't re-sign Free or Parnell, the BPA at 27 could definitely be an OL like Flowers, Clemmings or Peat, but if we re-sign one of them that obviously goes out the window. If my top targets along the DL aren't there (Dupree, Brown, Goldman) I'd be very tempted to just take Eric Kendricks from UCLA. Who the hell knows what will happen with nutcase McClain and man of glass Lee, Durant would be nice depth but is aging and somewhat injury prone, and Hitchens looks like a bona fide steal but you don't want to roll him out there with nothing around him.

Kendricks is as safe a pick as you can get late in the 1st in my opinion. He's athletic, extremely productive, loves the game, is a leader and can play all 3 downs. You could easily argue that Bobby Wagner was the most important piece of Seattle's defense this year and considering our LB situation, I see big time value in a guy who can play all 3 downs and probably play more than one position.
I agree with much of this, but while I like Chickilo I don't think he'll be BPA in the 2nd. I would in the 3rd, though.

Also, LB depth...whether we resign the Arsonist or not, I wouldn't hate taking Denzel Perryman. He played all 3 LB spots at Miami and could be an instant starter.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree with much of this, but while I like Chickilo I don't think he'll be BPA in the 2nd. I would in the 3rd, though.

Also, LB depth...whether we resign the Arsonist or not, I wouldn't hate taking Denzel Perryman. He played all 3 LB spots at Miami and could be an instant starter.
Yea I'm not a huge fan of Perryman, I don't think he's great in coverage and he didn't really look great in the videos I saw of him against Duke and Nebraska. If we got him at our original pick in the 2nd, I'd be fine with it, but I think we'd have better options if we traded down into the 40-50 range.

Another thing about Kendricks, I think he'd be a very Frederick-like pick at 27. Some pundits might pan it because they think we need to go DL, and maybe he could be had 15 or so picks later, and maybe 4-3 LB isn't an impact position you take in the 1st like center is supposedly, but I think this guy is just a very safe, very high floor type who won't bust and you could very easily look up 2 years from now and he's already in the Pro Bowl, much like Frederick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another thing about Kendricks, I think he'd be a very Frederick-like pick at 27. Some pundits might pan it because they think we need to go DL, and maybe he could be had 15 or so picks later, and maybe 4-3 LB isn't an impact position you take in the 1st like center is supposedly, but I think this guy is just a very safe, very high floor type who won't bust and you could very easily look up 2 years from now and he's already in the Pro Bowl, much like Frederick.
Shaq Thompson would be a way better pick if we are going LBer. He actually fits that WLBer spot which is critical in this defense and that we don't really know if anyone on the roster is capable of filling.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Shaq Thompson would be a way better pick if we are going LBer. He actually fits that WLBer spot which is critical in this defense and that we don't really know if anyone on the roster is capable of filling.
Kendricks fits it just fine as well, he's very good in coverage and actually tested better than Thompson at the combine in basically everything. Kendricks also hasn't been moved all around because nobody is really sure what his best spot is. Thompson has been moved around from safety to LB, back to safety, to RB and all over the place, I like Thompson well enough but I like Kendricks more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kendricks fits it just fine as well, he's very good in coverage and actually tested better than Thompson at the combine in basically everything. Kendricks also hasn't been moved all around because nobody is really sure what his best spot is. Thompson has been moved around from safety to LB, back to safety, to RB and all over the place, I like Thompson well enough but I like Kendricks more.
A lot of experts don't even have Kendricks as their top MLBer prospect in the draft.

Shaq Thompson is basically the perfect WLBer in the defense we run. The guy has coverage ability close to that of a safety.

I actually like Kendricks better then the LBers a lot of people have above him (McKinney for example) but I think in terms of need and talent Thompson is a better fit for Dallas.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
A lot of experts don't even have Kendricks as their top MLBer prospect in the draft.

Shaq Thompson is basically the perfect WLBer in the defense we run. The guy has coverage ability close to that of a safety.
That's fine, I have my own opinion on the two, alot of experts had Frederick as a 3rd round pick too. I'd be fine with Thompson if that was our pick at 27 because I can definitely see the fit but I prefer Kendricks. He is very good in coverage while also being a more physical player and more productive in general, without the questions of where he fits best.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's fine, I have my own opinion on the two, alot of experts had Frederick as a 3rd round pick too. I'd be fine with Thompson if that was our pick at 27 because I can definitely see the fit but I prefer Kendricks. He is very good in coverage while also being a more physical player and more productive in general, without the questions of where he fits best.
Frederick was different though. He had first round tape. He got knocked down because of a shitty 40 time and was still basically everyone's top center. Why anyone gave a shit about a forty time with a center is beyond me. Honestly I wouldn't be thrilled with Thompson or Kendricks in the first but as long as they stay healthy either guy is probably a starter in this defense for a very long time. The bust factor is really low. In that sense of the word I could see how you would compare him to Frederick. It's just a safe sound pick on someone you know will start for your team for a long time.

I wish this draft had some safeties worth a damn because the late first is usually a good area for them. This draft class sucks for safeties though. As shitty as Church looked last year at times, I don't know that we will be in a position to upgrade safety at all. If we do want to draft one at all we will probably have to draft a corner who can move to safety.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Frederick was different though. He had first round tape. He got knocked down because of a shitty 40 time and was still basically everyone's top center. Why anyone gave a shit about a forty time with a center is beyond me. Honestly I wouldn't be thrilled with Thompson or Kendricks in the first but as long as they stay healthy either guy is probably a starter in this defense for a very long time. The bust factor is really low. In that sense of the word I could see how you would compare him to Frederick. It's just a safe sound pick on someone you know will start for your team for a long time.

I wish this draft had some safeties worth a damn because the late first is usually a good area for them. This draft class sucks for safeties though. As shitty as Church looked last year at times, I don't know that we will be in a position to upgrade safety at all. If we do want to draft one at all we will probably have to draft a corner who can move to safety.
Yea it's a horrendous safety class, we might as well just go with what we have and see what happens. I do think Kendricks has first round tape though, especially against Virginia.

Top Bottom