MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

Yanks are smart (Did I just say that?) not to go to that many years. Hopefully, they learned their lesson with the Arod deal.

I know they have a Plan B, so hopefully whatever they do works.
Are those the same smart Yankees that just overpaid for Ellsbury? Have fun with plan B (Kelly Johnson).

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Are those the same smart Yankees that just overpaid for Ellsbury? Have fun with plan B (Kelly Johnson).
So they should've gave Cano that deal? Talk to me when the Yanks are done making their moves. Long way to go.

D

Deuce

So they should've gave Cano that deal? Talk to me when the Yanks are done making their moves. Long way to go.
Ya, I would have rather given Cano that deal than Ellsbury his. Younger player, doesn't have the injury history, better defensively and a legit MVP candidate every year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Ya, I would have rather given Cano that deal than Ellsbury his. Younger player, doesn't have the injury history, better defensively and a legit MVP candidate every year.
Cano is actually a year older than Ellsbury (Ellsbury turned 30 in September and Cano turned 31 in October). Both players are getting overpaid, IMO, but that's just the nature of free agency. If I'm the Yankees I worry a bit about a speed guy like Ellsbury slowing down as he moves through his 30s. But even if his SB numbers start to dip some in 2–3 years he could very easily be a 20/30 type of guy into his mid-30s. My guess is that he'll develop more of a power swing to take advantage of that short LF porch. Granderson was a guy who hit between 20 & 30 HRs a year in Detroit and then immediately became a 40+ HR a year guy in NY; Ellsbury did hit 32 HRs a couple years ago so he has the ability to hit for power. I think we'll start to see more HR from him immediately. The injuries have to be a concern but a couple of the longer term injuries he's had have been a result of collisions.

Cano's power numbers are going to drop off in Seattle. No doubt about that. Not a good ballpark for HRs and he's leaving a park that is very conducive to HRs from lefties. Cano is a stud for sure but his numbers aren't going to be quite as impressive in Seattle. Middle IF also traditionally see a pretty big dropoff in their production once they get into their mid-30s, both offensively and defensively.

Both contracts have the potential for disaster (what if Ellsbury completely falls apart like Carl Crawford did?) but I'd be much more comfortable with the Ellsbury deal since it is 3 years shorter and $87M less. Cano will definitely give more bang for the buck on an annual basis but the last 5 years of that contract will be a nightmare while I think Ellsbury should be pretty good for about 5 of the 7 years of his deal.

Last edited:

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Ellsbury is a year younger, 30 heading into the 2014 season (Cano is 31). My question wasn't who was the better player. We all know Cano is better. The question was should the Yanks have signed a 31 year old second baseman to a 10 year 240 million dollar deal?

The Ellsbury deal is bad because he's being paid like one of the better players in the league when he is just above average. The Cano deal is bad because Cano will be 36 and still have 5 years and 120 million left on the deal. The Yanks will only owe a 36 year old Ellsbury 1 more year.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
What Cano and Ellsbury will be paid based off the numbers being reported and dividing evenly per year. There is an option year on the Ellsbury deal, but not sure if player or team.

Cano
Year Salary Age
2014 24,000,000 31
2015 24,000,000 32
2016 24,000,000 33
2017 24,000,000 34
2018 24,000,000 35
2019 24,000,000 36
2020 24,000,000 37
2021 24,000,000 38
2022 24,000,000 39
2023 24,000,000 40

Ellsbury
Year Salary Age
2014 21,857,143 30
2015 21,857,143 31
2016 21,857,143 32
2017 21,857,143 33
2018 21,857,143 34
2019 21,857,143 35
2020 21,857,143 36

D

Deuce

Ellsbury is a year younger, 30 heading into the 2014 season (Cano is 31). My question wasn't who was the better player. We all know Cano is better. The question was should the Yanks have signed a 31 year old second baseman to a 10 year 240 million dollar deal?

The Ellsbury deal is bad because he's being paid like one of the better players in the league when he is just above average. The Cano deal is bad because Cano will be 36 and still have 5 years and 120 million left on the deal. The Yanks will only owe a 36 year old Ellsbury 1 more year.
I'd rather have a Cano/Gardner combo at the positions than Ellsbury/Johnson. Every day of the week.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
You still haven't answered the question. Or did you? You'd give Cano 10 year at 240 million? If the Yanks did that you'd be laughing at them,

Any Cano combo is better than one without him because he's the best second baseman in baseball. Plus, I'm not sure just yet who are starting second baseman is, it could be Johnson. But at the end of the winter the question you have to ask is would you rather have

C - Chris Stewart
1B - Lyle Overbay
2B - Robinson Cano
SS - Eduardo Nunez
3B - Jayson Nix
LF - Alfonso Soriano (actually Vernon Wells started more games in LF)
CF - Brett Gardner
RF - Ichiro

or

C - Brian McCann
1B - Mark Texiera
2B - ?
SS - Derek Jeter
3B - ?
LF - Alfonso Soriano or Brett Gardner
CF - Jacoby Ellsbury
RF - ?

They've got plenty of money to spend and will add at least 2 or 3 more major pieces. Choo, Beltran, Infante, Drew, Balfour, Tanaka, Garza, etc. Plus, Cashman will make a deal or two.

This will be the biggest roster turnover for the Yanks in a long time.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The only person in baseball who a 10 year $240M contract would make sense for is Mike Trout. There is no one else.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
The only person in baseball who a 10 year $240M contract would make sense for is Mike Trout. There is no one else.
I'd easily give him 10 year 300 million if he hits FA, probably more by the time December 2017 rolls around. He'll only be 26 I think. That will be the biggest baseball contract ever. Ellsbury will be ready to move off of CF by then anyhow.

D

Deuce

You still haven't answered the question. Or did you? You'd give Cano 10 year at 240 million? If the Yanks did that you'd be laughing at them,
If I were the Yankees, yes I would have resigned him to that. He's the one player on their team they shouldn't lose. If they needed to shed money to make it work, then start dumping other pieces. I do applaud them for holding firm on the year limit, but in the end you can't let him go. If anyone can afford to eat a few extra bad years to keep a talent, they could.

Plus, who's to say he can't play at a high level to the end of the deal? Jeter's obviously the exception to the rule, but there's no reason Cano can't play to close that level to that age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony D

DCC 4Life
If I were the Yankees, yes I would have resigned him to that. He's the one player on their team they shouldn't lose. If they needed to shed money to make it work, then start dumping other pieces. I do applaud them for holding firm on the year limit, but in the end you can't let him go. If anyone can afford to eat a few extra bad years to keep a talent, they could.

Plus, who's to say he can't play at a high level to the end of the deal? Jesters obviously the exception to the rule, but there's no reason Cano can't play to close that level to that age.
He is the best second baseman in baseball and plays everyday, but I still don't want to have a guy who is a 36 year old second baseman and still owing him 5 years 120 million. He's not going to be worth anything near that in his late 30's. There are few exceptions to the aging rule in baseball.

They Yankees will be fine, they just have to make some smart moves.

D

Deuce

If the M's now trade for Price to pair with King Felix and the Asian, watch out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I only wanted to go 3 years, but I'll take 4 for Granderson...now sign Arroyo and look at deals for Murphy and Davis/Duda.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Give me Cruz and Napoli. Get the band back together.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran
By Mark Polishuk [December 6 at 8:52pm CST]

It didn't take long for the Yankees to move on from losing Robinson Cano. The Yankees have agreed with Carlos Beltran on a three-year deal, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports (Twitter link). The contract is worth $45MM and Beltran will receive an even $15MM each season, according to Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports (Twitter links). Beltran is represented by Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group.

Beltran had a three-year, $48MM offer in hand earlier this week, and the Diamondbacks could also have been the mystery team, as Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Snakes made Beltran a three-year offer for more than $45MM. Though the Yankees were a bit reluctant to give Beltran that third year, he was known to be a top target for the Bombers this offseason. Beltran was himself keen on coming to the Bronx and is now finally wearing the pinstripes after showing similar interest in his two previous trips to free agency.

Beltran hit .296/.339/.491 with 24 homers in 600 PA with St. Louis last season, and though he turns 37 in April, Beltran has thus far kept swinging a big bat deep into the late stages of his career. He'll no doubt see some DH at-bats in New York but the more defensively-challenged Alfonso Soriano will be the Yankees' primary DH, USA Today's Bob Nightengale reports.

The D'Backs were just one of several teams were linked to Beltran this offseason, with the Royals also pushing hard to reunite with the veteran slugger. This strong market pushed Beltran's price tag to a third year, topping the two-year, $30MM deal that MLBTR's Steve Adams predicted in Beltran's Free Agent Profile. One team that wasn't in the mix was Beltran's most recent club, the Cardinals, who look to go forward with younger options like star prospect Oscar Taveras in the outfield next season. Since Beltran rejected the Cards' one-year qualifying offer, St. Louis will receive a compensation pick between the first and second rounds of the 2014 amateur draft.

The Yankees will sacrifice a third-round draft pick as compensation for signing Beltran. New York has now given up its first, second and third round picks in next year's draft due to their signings of Beltran, Jacoby Ellsbury and Brian McCann (though they'll get one pick after the first round since Curtis Granderson signed with the Mets). Between those three free agent signings and re-signing Hiroki Kuroda and Derek Jeter, the Yankees have spent a whopping $311MM on those five players' services this offseason. More spending could be on the way for the Bombers if they need a third baseman to replace Alex Rodriguez, if they want to upgrade beyond Kelly Johnson as Cano's replacement at second base, and once Masahiro Tanaka's posting situation is resolved.
-----------------------------------------------

Not a bad move I guess. Soriano can DH this year and then he'll be gone, allowing Beltran to get a lot of ABs in the DH role the 2nd & 3rd years of his contract.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Beltran to Yankees. Napoli back to red Sox.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Give me Cruz and Napoli. Get the band back together.
You'll get nothing (well, maybe Cruz) and like it:

Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli
By Mark Polishuk [December 6 at 8:05pm CST]

The Red Sox have agreed to terms with Mike Napoli, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports (Twitter link). The contract is a two-year deal worth $32MM, according to CSNNE.com's Sean McAdam (via Twitter). The slugger confirmed his return on his own Twitter feed, saying "The beard is coming back to Boston!!!" Napoli is represented by Brian Grieper.

Napoli's contact falls short of the three-year, $42MM deal that MLBTR's Tim Dierkes predicted he would receive this winter, though obviously Napoli's clear desire to remain with the World Series champions impacted his decision. Counting his $13MM salary from 2013 (in both base salary and incentives), Napoli will end up receiving $45MM between 2013-15 --- well above the $39MM he was originally set to earn from Boston before he was diagnosed with avascular necrosis in both of his hips, which caused the Sox to pull their multiyear offer and extend just the one-year pact.

The 32-year-old silenced all questions about his health by hitting .259/.360/.482 with 23 homers in 578 PA for the Sox last season, also posting big numbers in the ALCS during Boston's championship run. Napoli turned down a one-year, $14.1MM qualifying offer from the Red Sox earlier this winter and thus would've netted the club a compensation draft pick had he signed elsewhere, but now the club will have its starting first baseman back in the fold after already losing Jacoby Ellsbury and Jarrod Saltalamacchia in free agency this offseason.

Earlier today, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported that Napoli had received an offer from another club but his preference was to remain in Boston. The Marlins, Rangers, and Mariners were all rumored to be interested in Napoli's services, and Texas was believed to have made Napoli a larger offer, Bradford and Alex Speier report. Napoli also turned down at least one three-year offer, according to Sportsnet.ca's Ben Nicholson-Smith, but Napoli preferred to remain with the Sox and accepted their smaller deal.

Top Bottom