Moore: Cowboys show interest in Falcons DE Adrian Clayborn

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys show interest in Falcons DE Adrian Clayborn

By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Moore on Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

Adrian Clayborn is one of the players on the Cowboys radar heading into free agency, a source said.

The club's interest in the defensive end is no surprise. The Cowboys kicked the tires on him at this time last year before he signed with Atlanta. While not a high-profile target, Clayborn is the sort of player the club has acquired to plug into the defensive line in recent years. Think of Jeremy Mincey and George Selvie.

Clayborn started four of 16 games for the Falcons last season and finished with three sacks. He has 16 sacks and five forced fumbles in his five seasons in the league. He's 27.

Clayborn missed 13 games in 2012 with a torn knee ligament and another 15 games two years later with a torn bicep.

Recently, Jon Machota was asked in a chat about top priority for the Cowboys in free agency.

Wrote Machota: "Getting their own players signed. I think bringing back Rolando McClain, Morris Claiborne and Jack Crawford are near the top of the list in that regard. As far as free agents from other teams, it has to be pass rush. Perhaps Mario Williams or Adrian Clayborn. I believe Olivier Vernon is out of their price range."
------------

What an impressive and boring free agent to target.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd definitely take a look at Clayborn. Value is right. I also still like Williams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So sucks equals value?
Not saying he's going to rack up double digit sacks or anything, but he's better than what we've got now and younger than what we had in Mincey. He'll be fine in the rotation at LDE.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Clayborn would be a solid depth signing. I don't want him to be the best FA we sign but free agency isn't meant to produce the cornerstones of your franchise, I'm not interested in paying Olivier Vernon 14 a year in the least for example, it's meant to patch holes and solidify depth, which Clayborn would do to an extent.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
So sucks equals value?
The narrative among a lot of the Cowboys writers this time of the year is that the Cowboys are smart. They resign their own free agents and they sit back and wait for deals. They don't get involved on the first couple days of free agency anymore. Have to overpay too much.

While there is some truth to it---free agency can often be a bad investment---I will not buy that they are 'smart' until they have any degree of sustained success. Since 2010 'smart' has gotten them 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, & 4-12. So how smart are they really?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
"Smart" would be if we went after value signings like Michael Bennett in 2013, which I was a huge proponent of. I believe he only got like 4 or 5 a year for 1 or 2 seasons before Seattle gave him a long-term deal.

We basically sit around with our dicks in our hands and dumpster dive for guys like Jasper Brinkley who provide absolutely no value. I'm sure guys like Ahtyba Rubin, Kendall Reyes, Matt Forte, Ian Williams, Derrick Shelby, Akiem Hicks, Jeremy Lane, Demario Davis, Zach Brown and Tahir Whitehead will sign for 5 million or less per year, some of them probably for no more than about 2 or so per year will any of them end up in Dallas?

I highly doubt it.

Those would be smart signings, sitting on our hands for 2 weeks and signing schlubs like Jasper Brinkley for $850,000 a year is lazy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is staying in Atlanta.

We can't even sign a POS JAG.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
He is staying in Atlanta.

We can't even sign a POS JAG.
:lol

You were the sad little boy that sat on the porch with frankenstein shoes on your club feet watching the other kids play, weren't you.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

You were the sad little boy that sat on the porch with frankenstein shoes on your club feet watching the other kids play, weren't you.
We sign him he hates it. We don't sigm him he hates it. The sun comes up in the morning and he hates it.

What a sad life to live.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We sign him he hates it. We don't sigm him he hates it. The sun comes up in the morning and he hates it.

What a sad life to live.
I am glad we didn't. Don't get me wrong.

It just shows me this organization is more inept than I thought.

Even our stupid shitty plans get blown up.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We have to close on Thornton today, most of the reasonably priced run-stuffers (Rubin, Mebane, Williams) are all gone and all that remains is Thornton/Hicks and perhaps Knighton. I'd be perfectly happy with Thornton or Hicks, although I think Hicks may be able to command more out of a team. Just give Thornton his 4 per year and be done with it.

Top Bottom