The Great Police Work Thread

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
:lol. Love how they got in front of the car the second time. Idiots. The driver just showed he had no qualms going forward and you aren't going to stop a vehicle.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dumbasses.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I agree with this. I have problems with the way policing is done in this country. I don't think there's enough evidence in this specific case. In the future, cops should be wearing body cameras so there will be evidence of guilt or innocence.
Totally agree. This shitty fucking town didn't even have a camera in the cop car?

Car cams and body cams ought to be mandatory for every cop in this country, and if some podunk motherfuckers don't want to do it then it should be a federal mandate that they have to.

D

Deuce

Totally agree. This shitty fucking town didn't even have a camera in the cop car?

Car cams and body cams ought to be mandatory for every cop in this country, and if some podunk motherfuckers don't want to do it then it should be a federal mandate that they have to.
I agree. Even small towns can put together an extra couple thousand dollars in their budget to by some of those Go Pro cameras to share. No excuse not to anymore.

Jiggyfly

Banned
My biggest issue with the case is the question of does a police officer have the right to shoot someone because they feel threatened.

The one fact we do know is that Brown disengaged from the officer at the car and was running away. IMO deadly force was no longer an option if he felt threatened stay in the car and call backup.

We know Brown had no weapon and was away from the officer when shot, you cannot just dump a clip in somebody because they are coming at you.We saw from the pictures the officer was not badly injured.

Officers get into fights all the time without discharging weapons this seems a clear case of at least overreaction if these were civilians in this state I think its manslaughter.

Cotton

Staff member
I think since the thug had already tried to take the gun from the cop he had every right to shoot him when Brown charged him.

D

Deuce

I think since the thug had already tried to take the gun from the cop he had every right to shoot him when Brown charged him.
He had a right to shoot him if they struggled over the gun...at that time. If he did take off and run away, I don't think he gets to maintain that right. He should have pulled out his taser at that point.

Cotton

Staff member
He had a right to shoot him if they struggled over the gun...at that time. If he did take off and run away, I don't think he gets to maintain that right. He should have pulled out his taser at that point.
From what I understand that police department doesn't supply their officers with tasers. I may be remembering that wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that. I seem to remember people (rightfully) bitching about how a PD could possibly not have tasers.

Oh, not implying that you are saying this, but to be clear, the autopsy clearly showed that Brown was moving towards the cop when he was shot. So, no one can argue the cop shot him while he was trying to run away.

Cotton

Staff member
Also, quick question... does a citizen have the right to shoot someone if they feel their lives are in danger? Wouldn't a cop be afforded that same right?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
From what I understand that police department doesn't supply their officers with tasers. I may be remembering that wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that. I seem to remember people (rightfully) bitching about how a PD could possibly not have tasers.

Oh, not implying that you are saying this, but to be clear, the autopsy clearly showed that Brown was moving towards the cop when he was shot. So, no one can argue the cop shot him while he was trying to run away.
I think I read that he was issued a taser but the department doesn't require officers to wear them and he chose not to because of comfort and mobility. After reading a lot of the evidence, I think he made some poor tactical decisions, but nothing about it points to murder or manslaughter. And if he had been indicted, I think any decent defense attorney would have easily bitchslapped the charge. Several of the witnesses either misinterpreted what they saw or perjured themselves, based on the evidence.

I also can't get behind that an officer should hide in his car and not pursue or try to make an arrest if he felt threatened initially. How many dangerous suspects would get away if that were official policy? An officer tries to make an arrest, a guy charges him and the officer is liable for what happens? No.

Cotton

Staff member
I think I read that he was issued a taser but the department doesn't require officers to wear them and he chose not to because of comfort and mobility. After reading a lot of the evidence, I think he made some poor tactical decisions, but nothing about it points to murder or manslaughter. And if he had been indicted, I think any decent defense attorney would have easily bitchslapped the charge. Several of the witnesses either misinterpreted what they saw or perjured themselves, based on the evidence.

I also can't get behind that an officer should hide in his car and not pursue or try to make an arrest if he felt threatened initially. How many dangerous suspects would get away if that were official policy? An officer tries to make an arrest, a guy charges him and the officer is liable for what happens? No.
No doubt.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Of course you do, no "thug" has a right to live if he charges an officer, because they have no other recurse in that situation correct?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Also, quick question... does a citizen have the right to shoot someone if they feel their lives are in danger? Wouldn't a cop be afforded that same right?
Hell no, officers are trained to diffuse situations like this, deadly force is always a last resort.

Why did he have to do anything why not stay in his vehicle if he felt so threatened?

Cotton

Staff member
Of course you do, no "thug" has a right to live if he charges an officer, because they have no other recurse in that situation correct?
If he has no taser, what is his recourse knowing that the thug has deadly intentions since he already tried to take his gun from him? I honestly am curious what you would have done in that situation.

Cotton

Staff member
Hell no, officers are trained to diffuse situations like this, deadly force is always a last resort.

Why did he have to do anything why not stay in his vehicle if he felt so threatened?
Because he is sworn to uphold the law and he was trying to arrest a subject that had just assaulted a police officer, and one could argue had tried to kill him since he went for his gun. And, in this case, the thug charged him. You don't diffuse a situation where you have seconds to react. You survive. Just like a citizen would. The cop is afforded those same rights.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

So a cop is supposed to stay in the car if he feels threatened? Why should I expect anything different from you?

Jiggyfly

Banned

Officers get into altercations all the time without discharging a weapon are you saying every time an officer feels threatened they should just shoot first?

Cotton

Staff member
Officers get into altercations all the time without discharging a weapon are you saying every time an officer feels threatened they should just shoot first?
Painting with a broad brush as always. The dude went for his gun. This isn't a typical altercation. Had the thug gotten his gun, I have no doubt in my mind he would have shot the cop. It's not like the cop went after him first. He came into the vehicle after the cop. Deadly intent.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So a cop is supposed to stay in the car if he feels threatened? Why should I expect anything different from you?
If he feels his life is in danger and the perpetrator is not harming anyone else yes?

Do you understand the precedent this sets, with this rational an officer can kill anybody just because he felt threatened, that should be scary for anybody.

Top Bottom